alternative to salad???

Options
im looking for some help, i eat salad almost every day for lunch because its easy and low cal, but im really starting to get sick of it, any suggestions for osmething else that is low cal and easy.....and filling??help me!

Replies

• tawny7
    tawny7 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I like morning star grillers either the original or vegan with a whole wheat or multi-grain arnold's thin bread and string cheese, reduced fat. It's about 300 calories. I also like oscar meyer turkey or ham the thin slices which are 50 calories for 6 slices with an arnold's thin bread and string cheese.
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Are you looking for stuff you don't have to cook?

If you don't mind cooking...one of my favorite things is to chop up some vegetables (usually zucchini, squash and carrots) sautee them with olive oil or cooking spray (I like to add some seasoning like garlic or chili pepper) then when almost done drop a triangle of the Laughing Cow Cheese in there and stir around until cheese is melted. It is sooooo good! You can even make batches ahead of time and heat them up at work if need be. If you have never tried Laughing Cow Cheese it is awesome and comes in many flavors. I think most of them are 35 cals per triangle.

For not cooking food ideas....wraps really easy...load them with veggies and some meat.
    I try to use the one fat rule...if you put mayo don't put cheese or vice versa......or you can add avacado which is yummy and is a good fat...its filling as well!

Maybe try some different fruit salads.....or some chicken salad on pita bread or eaten with some crackers....

I also like Morning Star for super quick meals!!
  • tawny7
    tawny7 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    The zucchini, carrots, and squash with seasonings and then the cheese sounds delicious!!!! I'll have to try that!! I've never had the laughing cow cheese before.
  • marmaid
    marmaid Posts: 2
    Options
    Laughing cow rocks! You can spread it on a flour tortilla with tomato puree and chopped veg and have a cheats pizza! Yum!
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    It is sooooo good! Definitely need to get some. Also really good mixed in scrambled eggs!
    They come in a wheel with 8 triangles to a wheel.
    laughingcow1.jpg
  • moosenbratsmommy
    Options
    today i am having a ground turkey breast patty and brocolli with country crock... less than 200 calories and pretty filling.
  • nicoledc
    nicoledc Posts: 37
    Options
    You could make this on the week-end if you are short on time and then heat in the microwave

2t olive oil
    1 onion diced
    1 clove garlic minced
    2 medium potatoes cooked and cut into small pieces
    1 - 10z box spinach thawed and squeexed dry
    1 c FF egg substitute
    2 T parsley
    1/2t salt
    1/2t pepper
    1/4 t ground nutmeg

In large non-stick pan heat the oil and sautee the onion until soft. Add garlic, stir 1 minute. Addd the potaotes, spinach, egg substitute, parsley, salt, pepper, nutmeg. Reduce heat the cook covered until set and brown on the bottom (about 10 mins on medium). Loosen edges w/spatual and invert onto platter. Serves 4 -
    1/4 of the dish is: 145 cal, 3g fat, 0g sat fat, 0 trans fat, 0 chol, 435mg sodium, 22g carb, 4g fiber, 10g protein, 112mg calcium. This is delicious !
  • jgoldsmith
    Options
    wow thanks for all the great suggestions. i love me some laughing cow cheese. however i am not quite sure what morning star is?? i live in canada so maybe its a us thing??? .....ive never thought to mix up veg with the laughing cow. im def gonna try that as an alternative hehe! thanks for the suggestion!!
  • misty8
    misty8 Posts: 4
    Options
    Vegies sauteed I agree is a fantastic idea. Especially now here in Oz its the end of winter so warm foods are what I tend to lean towards. A salad just isnt appetising in winter. "Laughing Cow" I dont think we have this either but I will have to look for something similar. I love my cheese but some low fat cheese is terrible. I am only new so will look into it. Good luck.
  • Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    SOUP!! Believe it or not, you can have even cream soup for under 300 Calories. Check labels; I recommend the Campbell's Healthy Choice: they've got a chicken noodle and a garden vegetable that has less than 200 calories in them!
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I have been taking the small cans of tuna and putting it on a toasted Village Hearth light english muffin with a slice of low fat pepper cheese. I don't mix anything in with the tuna, the melted cheese holds it together and it is really good.
  • FoamyRiver
    FoamyRiver Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to figure out for years how to make a low cal mac & cheese...I think you have provided me with the answer. Laughing Cow! Thanks!
  • JBennis1013
    JBennis1013 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Just be careful with eating salad everyday...Some salads aren't as low cal as you think. Also, I'm surprised that your stomach can handle eating salad everyday! I would be sick as a dog if I ate salad everyday. Also, you don't want your body to get used to eating the same thing whether it be salad or anything else for that matter. When I do have salad I like to throw in some turkey breast. It makes it yummmay!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I got sick of salads, too, so lately I've been eating wraps for lunch. I buy the La Tortilla Factory wraps/tortillas, which are large, whole wheat, no high fructose corn syrup, high fiber, and either 80 or 100 calories each, depending on which type you get (at least those are the two I alternate between). I heat the tortilla up, then put in a large handful of spinach, sprouts, tomatoes or whatever veggies I'm in the mood for, along with a moderate portion of the protein of the day (chicken/turkey/tuna/seitan...etc.). Roll it up and enjoy. I'm going to make a yogurt-based cilantro dressing to add to it for next week.

These are super easy, delicious, and usually between 200-250 calories after I've added all the ingredients.
  • MrsHazra
    MrsHazra Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I think I have only seen the original laughing cow in Australia, will have to look at the supermarket for other flavours. I feel like it is cheating when I have cheese of any sort. So I tend to stick to a Tuna salad., But these ideas are going to help.
  • ymamyma
    ymamyma Posts: 227
    Options
    I like morning star grillers either the original or vegan with a whole wheat or multi-grain arnold's thin bread and string cheese, reduced fat. It's about 300 calories. I also like oscar meyer turkey or ham the thin slices which are 50 calories for 6 slices with an arnold's thin bread and string cheese.

Haha. That's funny. I looove both of these. The Morning Star Grillers Prime are my favorite. I've been using the Laughing Cow cheese wedges lately, too. Delish. (And quick and easy!!)
  • omidgett
    omidgett Posts: 11
    Options
    Sometimes I just microwave trader joes roasted chicken patties. They're already seasoned so they're really good without buns. They're about 120 cal each but soooooo good.
  • omidgett
    omidgett Posts: 11
    Options
    Also, I've discovered shirataki tofu noodles, I found them at safeway. They're 100 cal for a whole bag really low fat and only 15CARBS for the whole bag!!! They tatse less like tofu if you rinse them well and microwave them, I mix them with laughing cow.

http://www.shiratakinoodles.net/
  • NineInchGirl
    Options
    I live in Canada too so we got the same products and im crazy about VEGEPATÉ! Just spread it on your low cal bread with some mustards and lettuce and stuff and yummmmmo!

c66898d630.jpg
  • NineInchGirl
    Options
    Oh and veggie burgers are the bomb! I love the Yves brand :) they got everything from veggie burgers to veggie "turkey" slices... Omg on a low cal wheat bagel or on any low cal multigrain bread..MMM Delicious!

289f1c7149.jpg

http://www.yvesveggie.ca/

Oh and turkey (deli) meat only cost 50 if not less cals for 5 slices (63g)! And that's just the right amount to make a decent sandwich :)

here's the website for the nutritional info http://www.flamingo.ca/fr/produits/nos-produits/charcuteries-tranchees.61/eminces.67/eminces-de-poitrine-de-dindon-fume-foret-noire.73.htm