Help with working out my bmhr please ?

Options
Hello everyone, im new to mfp but really enjoying it.

A bit about me: I am 46 years old and weigh 224 lbs so have along way to go yet. I'm 5ft 4inch. I have lost 28lbs over the last 2 years with just trying to eat healthy and change our eating habits at home. But I have not lost anything more this year.

My question is how many calories should I be eating a day. I'm currently on 1500 and jogging for 30 mins 3 times a week. I am concerned about eating a low cal diet as I have messed my metabolism about doing this for years on and off.

Now I just want to eat healthy, exercise and lose about 2lbs a week which at my size should be possible.

I would love to hear your advice on this.

Replies

• radicalroad
    radicalroad Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I think 1500 is low enough. What about moving around the composition of your diet or some strength training to make muscle. Apparently more muscle = more calories burned.
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Popped your stats into the calorie calculator of scoobysworkshop.com using 1-3 hours exercise a week. According to him your bmr is 1645 and tdee -20% is 1810. So you could go up to 1810 and still lose weight. Now he only predicts 1 pound a week loss on that. But given you say yourself you have messed around with your metabolism before I would not go below your bmr of 1645. When eating according to thus you don't eat back exercise calories.
  • redhotbeads
    redhotbeads Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with 89; I've had much better luck with -20% TDEE than I did with the 1430 MFP set me at. Here's another thread on the subject:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Good luck!