Wondering about Pasta?

Options
I know there are so many types now, whole grain, whole weat, that new veggie kind, has anyone tried them and are they really better for you? We eat alot of pasta in my house, trying to find a healthy alternative for me.

Replies

• KaltieEm
    KaltieEm Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about the veggie one, but whole wheat or other whole grain basically has less calories and more fiber and protein, so from that perspective it's better for you. Last time I was buying tortillas I just compared the nutritional info from the package. Turned out that whole multi-grain tortilla has more protein and fiber, and less calories than whole wheat tortilla.
  • chankanaab07
    chankanaab07 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I am a spaghetti fiend and recently switched to whole wheat capellini to "healthify" it. Honestly, it took me trying a few different brands before finding one I liked to replace the regular white pasta (I like Central Market).

I've heard of people making spaghetti noodles out of squash, making shreds of it with a fork. Has anybody here tried that? I'm interested to know if it's any good.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    All pasta is veggie pasta...

All of them are "good for you", as long as IIFYM...
  • iarelarry
    iarelarry Posts: 201 Member
    Options

WTF-IS-IIFYM.jpg
  • zenalasca
    zenalasca Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Good alternatives are...

Slim pasta (there are many brands)
    Angel hair pasta (also available as slim)
    Gluten free pasta
    Mung bean noodles! My dad is anti-gluten and uses this in spaghetti bolognese. actually tastes pretty good ^^
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    What is unhealthy about regular old pasta?
  • zenalasca
    zenalasca Posts: 563 Member
    Options

WTF-IS-IIFYM.jpg

if it fits your macros
  • shannonerdelyi
    shannonerdelyi Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am a spaghetti fiend and recently switched to whole wheat capellini to "healthify" it. Honestly, it took me trying a few different brands before finding one I liked to replace the regular white pasta (I like Central Market).

I've heard of people making spaghetti noodles out of squash, making shreds of it with a fork. Has anybody here tried that? I'm interested to know if it's any good.

I live for spaghetti squash. I find I can use it in any traditional pasta dish and it's extremely satisfying. It tends to be a bit crunchier than pasta, but I enjoy this texture. You could also supplement a small portion of pasta with spaghetti squash. Bulk up your meal without all those calories!
  • corsayre8
    corsayre8 Posts: 551 Member
    Options

It is a specific type of squash, spaghetti squash. You simply bake the squash and scoop it out of it's shell. It is naturally in strands, the fork just breaks them up, and fluffs them a bit.

Personally I love spaghetti squash, but I don't think it is in anyway resembles pasta. If you are expecting aldente, carb heaven, you will be disappointed. But is you see it as a healthy complement to meat and a means of delivery yummy sauces, you may also enjoy it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    I know there are so many types now, whole grain, whole weat, that new veggie kind, has anyone tried them and are they really better for you? We eat alot of pasta in my house, trying to find a healthy alternative for me.

Look at the nutritional info on the back and then tel me what you think...I'll give you a hint, they're not drastically different. I enjoy my pasta...I'm not gluten intolerant, nor am I an avoider of carbs. Just make it fit your calorie goals and macro goals.

This is a type of squash called spaghetti squash. It is delicious...but tastes nothing like pasta, nor is the texture remotely close. I always chuckle a little when people honestly think it's really going to be just like pasta. Like I said, it's delicious...but most definitely it's own thing. I eat it a lot, but not as a substitute for pasta.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I use brown rice pasta. I try to stay away from any form of wheat as much as possible. The only thing about it is that you can't boil it for more than 5-6 minutes or it will get mushy. Otherwise, I don't notice much of a difference in taste.
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Can you get spelt pasta? I LOVE the stuff. It has about the same macros as whole wheat pasta, but a much nicer texture.
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    I use half whole wheat, half broccoli slaw. It's actually not bad!

I wanna try spaghetti squash sometime though...mmm.
  • nikkylyn
    nikkylyn Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I tried the veggie one and I did not like it. I have no idea if its better but I love eating veggies Id rather eat a plate of veggies than the pasta kind.

whole wheat or whole grain is def better carb to eat than the white pasta.

love love pasta
  • Michellekutz1
    Options
    awesome thanks guys
  • chankanaab07
    chankanaab07 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thanks to those replying about the spaghetti squash! I will definitely have to try that. :) I could put tomato sauce on anything, so that might be the first combo I try.
  • bordsilly
    bordsilly Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I agree completly I also Love it but it is in no way like pasta!!!!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    yummy, we eat a lot in this house, always look for healthy ones!
  • Mommy_Time
    Mommy_Time Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I would recommend brown rice pasta or even branching out if you eat a lot of it and getting a spiral cutter and use a zucchini as a sub for pasta at times.
  • EchoDelta1013
    EchoDelta1013 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Pasta Slim is low-carb made of tofu and takes on the taste of the sauce. It does have a slight sulfur smell out of the package and must be prepped in order to remove it.

Miracle Noodles are zero carb are made of water & glucomannan (dietary fiber). These have a strong sulfur smell and again, must be prepped in order to remove the smell.

Then there's spaghetti squash. Bake in the oven or nuke it. Then shred with a fork to resemble pasta.

I've tried all 3 and spaghetti squash is my favorite :smile: