Keep giving up... how to motivate myself?

Options
For a number of years now, from time to time, I realise... I really need to get fit, start losing weight, get healthier. And then for a week or so I try very hard, I eat healthily and I exercise and I log all my food on here. I start, say, a new blog, or an account on a new fitness site, so I can "make myself accountable" so that I won't just give up.

And then... I just give up. Even making myself accountable isn't enough. And then next thing I know, it's four months later and I'm 5lb heavier than I was last time, and hating myself.

Now I'm thinking "Enough! This is the heaviest I will ever be - never again will I weigh more than I do now"... but then I find it very hard to believe myself, when this is the exact same thing I've told myself a hundred times before.

How do I finally motivate myself to start getting healthy and keep at it?

Replies

• kinsellae
    kinsellae Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    You really just have to stop giving up. I know it's not easy. Every time you "mess up" let it go and keep going. Eventually, results will come. I can guarantee you that the progress may be slower if you continue to fall off track, but if you get up and try at it again eventually you will see some progress. And really as long as you keep moving ahead that's all that matters. Good luck to you! You're worth your time.
  • TokenberryS
    Options
    Well, you obviously want to lose weight, but have you got a goal with it? An "Enough" isnt enough. You need a really good goal, you need to know WHY you are doing it.

Why do you want to lose the weight? There's tons of positive things about losing weight. I mainly got my motivation when I realized I could barely wear any goodlooking jeans, and generally I thought I looked like ****. I wanted to feel attractive.

Trust me, as an online gamer, who really enjoys sitting on my *kitten* day in day out, if I could do it, anyone can.

Good luck with it buddy.
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I know that "gung ho" feeling that disappears after a few weeks. About 18 months ago I figured I needed to make changes that were reasonable, replace the junkier stuff with more of the healthy foods, and actually apply what I always knew about portion size. I wrote down (and still do) what I eat so I can see that it's balanced and, if I want something more "decadent"...I need to readjust my other meals. I was told about MFP in February and it's a great site to manuever my way through my meals, although I still write them down at the end of the day. All in all I've dropped 72 lbs. and feel so much better. I learned how my body works, the pounds bounce around a bit along the way but I work toward gradually lowering the weight. I don't panic, beat myself up on a "bad" day, and just realize it takes time, and that's ok. I feel more like moving and find it hard to just sit around as much as I used to.

So...basically, start slow, add a change or two each week until you're comfortable with what you're doing, and relax by realizing it's a day to day process. If you're hungry, eat more healthy, filling foods. If you want a treat, exercise a bit more or readjust your other foods for the day, and know that you're doing this for yourself. Good luck.
  • ChristinaR720
    ChristinaR720 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    Fully commit yourself to the process and surround yourself with other people who are working hard to achieve their goals. The motivation, support, and inspiration I have received from my friends here has been absolutely amazing. I have gone through a few slumps, but they have always encouraged me to keep going!
  • coderedjulia
    Options
    You really just have to stop giving up. I know it's not easy. Every time you "mess up" let it go and keep going. Eventually, results will come. I can guarantee you that the progress may be slower if you continue to fall off track, but if you get up and try at it again eventually you will see some progress. And really as long as you keep moving ahead that's all that matters. Good luck to you! You're worth your time.

I agree, you just need to keep moving. Every time you fall off track, you will go back to your old ways.
  • Switzer12
    Switzer12 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    You know, I read books, magazine articles, things on the internet, just anything to keep me motivated. The other day I noticed my reflection in the mirror and decided I really do need to lose about 15 lbs. I am going to try in earnest to do that by end of the year. I have started a yoga class and that is great, go two times a week, but need to actually do the weights and walk more. It will be a challenge, but I sure would like to look better. I am overweight by a few lbs and need to get to healthy BMI. Good luck and just take it one meal at a time, one day at a time, and don't give up!
  • Shim2013
    Shim2013 Posts: 48
    Options
    Hi, it isn't easy to lose weight! You have got to want to do this for yourself. For me the last straw was being told that I would never run a marathon after asking to get my treadmill fixed. (i just wanted to walk in the winter) It wasn't meant to hurt but non the less it did but it also motivated me enough to say ....OH hell yes I will run a marathon even if it kills me!!!! Since that day I have lost a total of 46 lbs and still going. My goal is to run a 5k just to say hey I did it and I did it to prove to you and myself that I can do anything I set my mind to. Good luck with the weight loss, you can do it! There is always setbacks but the next day is a new day and you move forward and forget about the setback. Start slowly, don't change everything at once. Try getting up and walking more then start to change the food your eating. Just remember it is for your health and it is a life change not a diet!