Homemade ice cream

Options
acogg
acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
I have never made ice cream except for the plastic bag trick with the kids. I plan to make a trial version this weekend, with the goal of making ice cream for a 4th of July event. I have a basic custard type recipe that uses one egg yolk per serving. I have been thinking of ways to make the recipe lower calorie and healthier. My ideas are to replace some of the cream with plain Greek yogurt, Splenda in place of some or all the sugar and to flavor it with chocolate protein powder. Anyone have thoughts, ideas or advice from experience that may help me divert a kitchen disaster? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• kelly_c_77
    kelly_c_77 Posts: 5,658 Member
    Options
    What is the plastic bag trick?
  • chaoticgeek
    chaoticgeek Posts: 25 Member
    Options

You put all your ingredients inside a zip-lock freezer bag then put that bag inside a bag with ice and salt and move it around until you have some soft-serve ice cream. Then if you want hard-serve ice cream put it in the freezer to harden up.
  • kelly_c_77
    kelly_c_77 Posts: 5,658 Member
    Options
    Cool! Thanks! Edited to ask what the ingredients would be to actually make the ice cream....
  • acogg
    Options
  • owieprone
    owieprone Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    easier icecream

slice an overripe banana, put in freezer for a few hours. (works with just ripe as well)

take out, get blender (i use a hand one, but any will do), and blitz till smooth. and voila - icecream!

you can serve straight away but i find if you stick it in the fridge for 30 mins it's even better.

you can add protein powder, greek yoghurt, pb, agave nectar and/or berries to flavour if you want but honestly it's pretty amazin alone.

i havent bought icecream for half a year since i found this recipe
  • duntonbob
    duntonbob Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Best, tastiest, healthiest Ice Cream I have ever had is also the simplest and you wont believe it.

1. Peel some bananas (however many you like)
    2. Put them in freezer overnight
    3. Blend them or even better stick them in a juicer

There you go the best and creamiest and tastiest banana ice cream ever.

I like to sprinkle highlights chocolate powder on them.

Calories equal the amount of bananas divided by serving obviously

Enjoy

Edit:~ How bizarre, someone above posted at same time...LOL
  • stargazer008
    stargazer008 Posts: 531
    Options
    You could use condensed milk and heavy cream to make ice cream.

http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/ONE-STEP-NO-CHURN-COFFEE-ICE-CREAM-5550
  • courtneymal17
    courtneymal17 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    easier icecream

slice an overripe banana, put in freezer for a few hours. (works with just ripe as well)

take out, get blender (i use a hand one, but any will do), and blitz till smooth. and voila - icecream!

you can serve straight away but i find if you stick it in the fridge for 30 mins it's even better.

you can add protein powder, greek yoghurt, pb, agave nectar and/or berries to flavour if you want but honestly it's pretty amazin alone.

i havent bought icecream for half a year since i found this recipe

Ok I DEFINITELY need to try that!
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Make the genuine thing. Your kids will love it as will you. Just weigh what you eat and fit it into your calorie goals. Or move more so you can eat more. Exercise and ice cream are a wonderful combination.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    we actually just made ice cream in a bag with our residents, im a counselor at an apartment program for mentally ill adults. originally we made this with our girls at a camp i used to work at.

you use half a cup of milk, 1 tbsp sugar or a sweetener replacement and 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract.

in a gallon bag put a bunch of ice and salt. rock salt works best but regular salt works just as well.

double bag a sandwich baggie, and put the milk sugar and vanilla in. make sure the air is out before sealed. place that in the bag with the ice and salt, and make sure that is sealed with minimal air.

shake shake shake for anywhere from 8-16 minutes. take the smaller baggies out, take the inside one out, cut a hole in the bottom and squeeze into a bowl or cup. top with whatever you like.

very tasty. some of the residents added more sugar bc it wasnt sweet enough for them, to each their own.

have fun!

eta: the frozen banana ice cream is good too, i do this with my over ripe bananas. very tasty with toppings or just by itself!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Make the genuine thing. Your kids will love it as will you. Just weigh what you eat and fit it into your calorie goals. Or move more so you can eat more. Exercise and ice cream are a wonderful combination.

This. Please don't ruin ice cream for the sake of a few calories. You are making homemade ice cream for the first time. Make it awesome! Tweak it another time.
  • CapnGordo
    CapnGordo Posts: 327
    Options
    I do it all the time for birthday parties, baptisms, bar mitzvahs...

Magician_Birth.gif
  • CheekyBrahette
    CheekyBrahette Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    we actually just made ice cream in a bag with our residents, im a counselor at an apartment program for mentally ill adults. originally we made this with our girls at a camp i used to work at.

you use half a cup of milk, 1 tbsp sugar or a sweetener replacement and 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract.

in a gallon bag put a bunch of ice and salt. rock salt works best but regular salt works just as well.

double bag a sandwich baggie, and put the milk sugar and vanilla in. make sure the air is out before sealed. place that in the bag with the ice and salt, and make sure that is sealed with minimal air.

shake shake shake for anywhere from 8-16 minutes. take the smaller baggies out, take the inside one out, cut a hole in the bottom and squeeze into a bowl or cup. top with whatever you like.

very tasty. some of the residents added more sugar bc it wasnt sweet enough for them, to each their own.

have fun!

This is the same formula I use at home. You can also use half & half cream, or for people like me who are lactose intolerant you can use Lactaid milk.

I've also seen people use NesQuik (chocolate or strawberry) to make flavored ice cream.

I made it a few times with my daughter and she loved the whole process.
  • acogg
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies and ideas. The ice cream will be real, if this small trial run doesn't turn out awesome I will do something else. The recipe I am tweaking is 350 calories for about a half cup and 5 grams of protein. With my planned changes it will be about 250 calories and 23 grams of protein. Still plenty of calories but I love the protein number! If it's turns out, I'll share the recipe on here.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options

This
  • TravelDog14
    TravelDog14 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Check out these recipes for do it yourself ice cream:

1. Best chocolate ice cream you'll ever make at home http://joannagoddard.blogspot.com/2012/02/best-chocolate-ice-cream-youll-ever.html#more

2. Interesting take on "ice cream":
    http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-9682/raw-recipe-3-ingredient-chocolate-ice-cream.html

3. For the adventurous, 3 ingredient sea salt ice cream:
    http://notyourmommascookie.com/2013/03/3-ingredient-sea-salt-ice-cream/

Enjoy!
  • m16shane
    m16shane Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I want to try the plastic bag idea! That sounds cool
  • MrsSenecal
    MrsSenecal Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I do it all the time for birthday parties, baptisms, bar mitzvahs...

Magician_Birth.gif

wtf?!?!?!!?
  • Shan790
    Shan790 Posts: 280 Member
    Options