olive oil

Options
so i've been using this stuff with just about every meal (in moderation, dont flip out just yet). i've done some research and can really only find info on how its good for your heart really, nothing for weight loss. so whats the deal with "extra virgin" olive oil and shedding pounds? yay or nay?

btw, typically i'll use about a tbsp with 2 eggs, scrambled, every morning. and i pack a crock pot full of assorted veggies (2 bags of carrots, 2 cans of corn, 2 cans of peas, 1 onion, and 2lbs of chicken coated with probably around 4 tbsp [total] to season) to last me the week for lunch and dinner.

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Oil is calorific around 130 calories per tablespoon (15ml) it wont help with weightloss but can be part of a balanced diet if used within your calorie goals.
  • reala728
    reala728 Posts: 31
    Options
    sweet sounds like im doing fine with it. i should maybe take it easier with the eggs, otherwise i feel pretty comfortable about it now. thanks.
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I eat lots of olive oil! But I try to keep the quantity down, like I'll brush the pan rather than pour it in, or use a teaspoonful rather than a tablespoonful.

I think the main difference between extra virgin and virgin is the taste and quality - extra virgin is the first pressing, so the oil is a bit sweeter - so nicer for drizzling on salad.
  • Oaklawn19100
    Options
    You have to look at all the fat that you consume daily be it olive oil, meat, or nuts and seeds. 97% of the fat that you eat is stored as fat.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of it being something to "take" for weight loss. It's a good source of fat (especially monounsaturated) and calories.
  • stephaniefiteni
    stephaniefiteni Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of it being something to "take" for weight loss. It's a good source of fat (especially monounsaturated) and calories.

An addition to this, theres heaps of good fats out .. so make sure your not adding in olive oil along-side with a whole bunch of other good fats, they usually contain a lot of calories too and not really ideal for 'weight loss'. Instead, search up things that boost your metabolism that are not subjected to the good fat group status.
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    so i've been using this stuff with just about every meal (in moderation, dont flip out just yet). i've done some research and can really only find info on how its good for your heart really, nothing for weight loss. so whats the deal with "extra virgin" olive oil and shedding pounds? yay or nay?

btw, typically i'll use about a tbsp with 2 eggs, scrambled, every morning. and i pack a crock pot full of assorted veggies (2 bags of carrots, 2 cans of corn, 2 cans of peas, 1 onion, and 2lbs of chicken coated with probably around 4 tbsp [total] to season) to last me the week for lunch and dinner.

The point of extra virgin olive oil is that it hasn't been tampered with during the extraction process. Many, many "healthy" (read: polyunsaturated) oils are toxic because they are heated and chemically treated during extraction.

Look for "virgin", "extra virgin" or "cold pressed" in the name, and only use olive oil, butter or coconut oil for cooking. Deep fat fried foods are not only bad for you because of the quantity of oil, but by the fact that they are thin vegetable oils which become toxic at that temperature.

There is also no reason to avoid eating eggs. You do NOT get cholesterol from food.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

There are no magic foods for weight loss
  • knityoupants
    knityoupants Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I was raised in a "health-conscious" (California-granola-type) family, and used to pour Extra Virgin Olive Oil on EVERYTHING. I can't believe how much I've cut back now. I recommend a spray oil like PAM for foods like eggs, or a spray bottle if you're really into the health benefits of Olive Oil. These days, I just use it for when the flavor packs an awesome punch: italian and mediterranean food! Experiment with your crock pot chicken and veggies: low/no cal replacements can really add flavor and variety. I'm a big fan of herbs or lemon or mustard for chicken, though I realize that's not for everyone...
  • ngyoung
    ngyoung Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    The way it is supposed to help with weight loss is that it makes the foods you eat it with more filling and you maintain satiety for longer periods of time so you don't get ravenous between meals and overeat later. It goes the same with most nutrient dense foods, they provide all the things your body needs and keep you satisfied and you naturally eat less without feeling restricted.
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I remember with Weight Watchers they wanted the members to get at least 2 teaspoons in a day...I thought the reasoning was to make sure you are getting enought 'healthy fats' in your diet. Also, I thought I heard that olive oil, along with some others, was supposed to help with keeping your nails and hair healthy, not falling out, etc.