girls with big calves. are you happy with them?

Options
My calves are a huge 17.5" and I used to feel self conscious about them but I'm starting to love them now. Do any of you other ladies love having big calves

Replies

• SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    If you get big calves, consider changing the bull.

You're welcome. :drinker:
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Can't find tall boots but love my calves anyway. They are the one part that is rock hard.
  • Sarabelle43
    Options
    I played ice hockey for years. My calves are ENORMOUS. I used to be self-conscious - get the occasional comment, especially when wearing heals. One time had a co-teacher shout out in the middle of class, "Hot Damn, Ms. ******! Look at your calves!" The kids thought it was hilarious. e.e

Now, eh, why do I care what someone else thinks? I like having powerful legs. ;)
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    Mine are 17.5'' too. I'm not a big fan of them yet. I used to like them a lot when I was in school, because I was doing track and they were straight up lean muscle. Right now, though, I have trouble liking them unless I have a pair of heels on, which make any calf look super good.
  • admegamo
    admegamo Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I think last time I checked, my calves are bigger than yours. I call them "man calves". I don't like them but I do like showing people that even though I'm big, my calves are not fat and showing them the muscle. hahaha
  • Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Big calves + short girl = tall boots problem (because the largest diameter of my calves sits lower than the average-height person, so the larger part of a boot shaft is never aligned to the largest part of my lower leg).

Aside from that, and looking terrible in midi-length anything (usually ends at the widest part of my lower leg), I'm okay with bigger calves. Truthfully, they're still mostly fat, too. Just one of the places I like to store it I guess! Part of learning to love myself and love my body is learning to love my legs.

The funny thing is how taking progress photos has changed my perception of myself. I was reading a body-shape thread and went to look at my latest pic before chiming in about what a pear shape I was and how huge my lower body is ... and when I looked at the photo, nothing looked disproportional about it to me at all. I decided that I really had to drop the body-hatred, even in its more subtle forms (where I think I'm talking objectively about myself, but really I'm putting myself down).

So, yeah, I have larger than average lower legs, and I'm happy with them :flowerforyou:.
  • GKoz004
    GKoz004 Posts: 87
    Options
    I've always had big calves, and I've always loved them haha. They're not all muscle, but I feel like my body would look goofy with tiny legs lol.

Sometimes finding boots is difficult, but I always find a pair after looking around. I used to hate skinny jeans because my legs were bigger, but I've seen so many women rock skinny jeans with thick legs that it doesn't bother me anymore and I wear what I want :)
  • CrimsonHolly
    Options
    Mine are 17.5" and 18". And I hate them. Mostly because I love tall boots but can't find many that I can fit.

Got a great deal on Coach boots but had to return them because of my thick calves. There were tears involved. :sad:
  • Kpercyman
    Kpercyman Posts: 3
    Options
    Nope, hate them and I find my legs to be very unattractive. I cannot wear boots because of them and really hate that. I have grown accustomed to them over the years. They support my big butt, which is my calling card, so I can't hate on them too much.

The most embarrassing moment was when my husband bought me a behind the scenes tour with penguins. I had to put on a rubber suit and boots. The only boots that would fit over my calves were mens size 10. I wear a womens size 8. :(

I am a little jealous of girls that are apple shaped and have skinny legs.
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Harder to find tall boots as lace ups are mandatory.... but still doable. I wouldn't change my big calves :)
  • laura751
    laura751 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Shapely legs are much better than stick thin ones! Mine are 16" and I love them! Embrace the calves!
  • Danni3ll3
    Danni3ll3 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I have big calves and before I lost the weight, I couldn't find tall boots that fit over my calves. Unfortunately, I passed that little trait on to my daughter. The positive side though is that my calves have shrunk alongside with the rest of me. I used to be a 16 and half or 17, now I am down to a 14 and tall boots fit once again.
  • Barefoot115
    Barefoot115 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have always had big calves and never minded them until I became older and realized I felt awkward in shorts and skirts. I think I started disliking them when I read a few years ago that your calves and neck should be around the same size...My calves are 16.5 inches and my neck is 11.5. I started fixating that either I have very disproportionate too large calves or an overly thin pencil like neck.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Mine are 17", I wasn't really aware that that is "huge" though. I neither love nor hate them, they are what they are and I don't think they look out of proportion on me.
  • nickymarie011
    nickymarie011 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    For my chicken legs or as my friends call them "sticks', my calves are quite big. I am proud of them, even though they appear to be completely disproportionate with the rest of my legs lol. I actually want more meat on my legs, not muscle but 'fat'. Weird, I guess.
  • rachaelr22
    rachaelr22 Posts: 32
    Options
    I think guys like them, they always want to compare and most of the time I win
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    Yup!
  • Fiercely_Me
    Fiercely_Me Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I am unless Im trying on boots.
  • claritarejoice
    claritarejoice Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I have large calves and thighs and a small waist. I got my body composition analysis done and it said that I have above average muscle in my lower body and 20% body fat overall, so that's good. I know this is not good, but I have to be honest that sometimes I do wish I had thinner legs. But I remind myself that this is the beautiful body that God wanted me to have, and everyone is unique. Some women with thin legs and fat on their stomach wish the opposite - we all need to be happy with what we have.
  • BlackBeltInTraining
    BlackBeltInTraining Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Only if I'm not wearing socks! They look wretched when I have socks on. Good think my job requires me to be barefoot! :)
    Currently mine are mostly muscle, but I would love it if they were a bit smaller.