Married or single women advice

Options

Replies

• Junkergal
    Junkergal Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    It is wonderful that you want to be supportive of her and try to help her in a kind and loving way. I think the first step is to maybe sit down with her and tell her what you have said here (even showing her this post), that you love her and you want her around for you and the kids for a long time. That you are scared for her when you see her stuggling. Above all tell her that no matter what her weight, you love her. This is more about her health then being overwieight.

The next step is to see if she will make an appointment with her doctor and go with her if she will allow it. Have a thorough work up and ask the doctor for recommendation on diet and exercise. With her other health issues just jumping into an exercise program or severe diet would not be good. Check with your hospital dietitian, alot of times they will do a consult for free.

I agree with all the posts above, make it family time especially at first. Take a walk after supper (or before), have the kids ride their bikes while you both walk, go to the park and move (don't just watch the kids move)-she can push one of the children in a swing, push the merry-go-round or throw a frisbee, take a basketball out to the driveway and just dribble and play catch. She may not be able to do anything too strenuous at first and that's ok! Small steps are best. She may feel very self-consious for sometime. From personel experience she may feel like people are watching or staring at her, she may feel embarrassed because her 'fat rolls' are jiggling, she may feel judged and found lacking by you or others around her. It's no fun to take the kids to swing then they want you to swing with them and either you can't fit in the swing or it hurts and pinches because you are so large. So shower her with kindness, love and support for eveything she does to try to get moving. Try and stock the kitchen with healthier foods and snacks and eat those with her. It is incredibly hard to eat yogurt, carrots or salad when your spouse or kids are snacking on ice cream, chips and fried chicken.

All of this is contingent on her wanting to do all this and wanting your help. That decision is completely up to her. Unfortunatly you can't do this for her, she has to want to make the change. Always make sure she knows that you want her no matter what size but you just want her around as long as possible. Don't try to be the food or exercise police! That will only result in hurt feelings all around. If you both can slowly incorporate this into how you live your daily lives then it will be much easier and better for the whole family. Your children will grow up seeing mom and dad living heathly and it will come naturally for them then.

Good luck to you both!
  • CkepiJinx
    CkepiJinx Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    When I started my weight loss I focused on getting my food consumption under control. I lost about 40 lbs just fixing my food, after that exercising didn't seem so daunting. So maybe if after discussing your genuine concern with her you can try to work on that. Make sure to show her she can eat a substantial amount of healthy foods and still have some treats and lose weight. Take it slow don't try to cut to much, and don't cut every thing she loves to eat. Try to make small substitutions and find tasty food do t push stuff no one wants to eat. The better it tastes the more people will stick to it. Good luck
  • tonadayuu
    tonadayuu Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Start by making healthier version of food she likes, maybe? And like others have said, go for a walk together after dinner. Since she has health issues, keep the pace slow and the distance short at first.
  • Junkergal
    Junkergal Posts: 15 Member
    Options

ETA - Don't be an enabler. If you do the cooking and she won't eat the healthier stuff (making sure it's healthy stuff she would actually enjoy) and all she'll eat is crap food...then don't make her crap food for her, let her make it for herself. She needs to know you'll do anything to support her in getting healthier but you won't do anything to help her become unhealthier. Tough love and all that.

Excellent advce. If you are cooking healthy meals (that include something she likes or will try) then only make the healthy meal. It will be for you and the children. If she would like something else then she can do that.
  • Simone_King
    Simone_King Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Take her to the doctor and let him explain all of it to her. She won't listen to you.

Also, it has to be her choice to lose weight.

However, in my experience I do not always listen to loved ones. So it's likely she won't listen to you.
  • Leiki
    Leiki Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    First of all, you are a wonderful father, husband, and person to think of your family and your wife enough to want to change things, and to ask for advice. It is hard asking others their opinion, and it takes a strong person to heed it.

You cannot force someone to do something. Eating, and lifestyle is a result of how she may be feeling internally. It may be a combination of not realizing she can change/ not feeling it is worth it/ using eating as a way of dealing with outside problems such as her health. What a vicious cycle.

If you tell her "you are fat, and I'm worried for our children" she will feel ugly and turn to food. She would disregard you as a support system. She would lose the goals she needs to motivate her.

If you ask her to do fitness programs with her, she will feel hesitant, and make up excuses due to her health, or her size. Or she may fail to see the necessity of it.

You have to convince her of what she needs without saying it directly.

Be in her presence and show her that you love her, and that she is an essential part of the family, without making comments which make her feel guilt. When she, or anyone around her does something well, give immediate feedback. For example if your daughter or son ran around with you today, while you are in the presence of your wife, tell your daughter or son how you noticed them run, and how great it is because running helps build strong bodies. In her presence, ask the children what they would like for dinner, informing them of the healthy benefits of one dish versus another. "We could have baked chicken or fried chicken, tonight. Baked chicken is better for you, and will help you to grow up healthy. Which one do you think we should have, tonight?" If they choose baked, praise them for being able to think about their well-being and future. If they choose the fried chicken, let them know that they will be limited to a smaller portion, and ask them if they still want fried.

By hearing you teach nutritional and fitness values to your children, she will see what is important in a non-threatening way, and if she decides to make a life transition, she will have come to it on her own accord, and would more likely be able to stick with her plan, even if it becomes tough.

Gradually it may be easier to come back from the supermarket with healthier choices, and to convince your wife it was choices the children made. In her presence, while you are putting the groceries away, you can tell your children "I'm proud of you for choosing the peanut butter and celery sticks rather than the cookies. Which one has more vitamins, and will give you more energy?"

Good luck.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I have to cook my own meals because she refuses to eat veggies, beans, or salads. Believe it or not, I usually do the cooking. I will have my food going and cook her and the kids a meal too. That usually consists of tacos, pizza, hamburger helper, etc because that's all she will eat. I've also tried to get her to try protein shakes and healthier snacks, but she doesn't want to try it. She doesn't really eat a lot of heavy meals, but does a lot of grazing on sweets and pop. It used to be hard to set there with my plate of chicken, veggies, and water, while she had a plate of pizza and a can of pop. Her dad and grandfather both have pace makers and rely on heavy medications for their heart. She has even seen her dad almost die twice in the hospital because of his heart failure. She has inherited everything they suffer from. They have both told her to get into better shape, but it hasn't worked.

Have you considered not making her the food she wants? Cook something healthy for yourself and your kids and let her know shes welcome to eat with you, or she can make something else for herself.

And def. make it a family affair. Offer to go for walks, play at the park, get the kids involved in cooking healthy meals, maybe see if she wants to join a gym with you?

Tacos, pizza, and burgers can be healthy. I don't like unadorned vegetables. I put them in tacos, on pizza, in soup, on burgers, in side salads, anywhere that a vegetable can be dressed up.
  • JustPeachy044
    JustPeachy044 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    My husband was in the same boat as you for quite a while. I was all around unhappy, and anytime he said ANYTHING to me about health, fitness, etc. I felt even more unhappy. I knew, as she probably does, something needed to change. But until I decided to move in that direction, anything he said to me felt like criticism and an attempt to control me. I rebelled by eating more and doing less. Not proud of that, but as many others have said, you can't make her change. It is a frustrating place to be, and a scary one. I feel bad for both of you. Please keep taking care of yourself and your children. Let her know you love her by the way you treat her day in and day out. I would say if and when she says something about needing to change, be supportive and do what you can to help her find her way.

Do you do much for family pics? One of my motivators was seeing a snapshot of myself.That's me?! It was a catalyst for change.
  • ashleighboykin90
    Options
    The best thing you can do is say something like you were thinking that "we" start working out and changing "our" diet. That way she might not feel like its all on her, like your being mean. its a positive thing. my family is a "big" family as has many health problems because of it and so I completely understand how youre feeling about watching her struggle getting around and everything else. I hope the best for you both and your children, stuff like this is never easy. best wishes
  • labeachgirl
    labeachgirl Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I have to cook my own meals because she refuses to eat veggies, beans, or salads. Believe it or not, I usually do the cooking. I will have my food going and cook her and the kids a meal too. That usually consists of tacos, pizza, hamburger helper, etc because that's all she will eat. I've also tried to get her to try protein shakes and healthier snacks, but she doesn't want to try it. She doesn't really eat a lot of heavy meals, but does a lot of grazing on sweets and pop. It used to be hard to set there with my plate of chicken, veggies, and water, while she had a plate of pizza and a can of pop. Her dad and grandfather both have pace makers and rely on heavy medications for their heart. She has even seen her dad almost die twice in the hospital because of his heart failure. She has inherited everything they suffer from. They have both told her to get into better shape, but it hasn't worked.

I would make her a plate of what you're eating and say that you won't enable her anymore to harm herself, because you love her and want her around. If she wants to do that to herself, she can make her own dinner.
  • Marina809
    Marina809 Posts: 38
    Options
    I don't think there is anything you can say to her to make her want to change her life and health. It will have to come from within. What will cause that is anybody's guess. I don't think exercise is what she needs to concentrate on right away. A calorie deficit is critical for her right now and exercise may just put her off the whole fitness thing right away since it may be very difficult for her with her health problems. As she loses weight she will be inspired to exercise too. I can see that you are on the road to becoming fit yourself. Just keep on doing what you're doing for yourself and maybe she will have that epiphany from watching you get healthier and healthier.
  • ouiouilezizi
    Options
    DO NOT tell her she needs to lose weight. I'm sure she already knows... she's a women in modern society... unless she lives in a box she is FULLY aware of her size and any issues.

-Instead, plan fun, easy activities to do together than she may enjoy (tennis? kayaking? bowling? family bike rides? a nice walk in the morning to a local coffee shop?) Start doing more of these activities.
    -Cook healthy meals for the family.
    -Lead by example!!!
    -Get involved with the grocery trips and try to have positive influence over what kinds of foods go into the home.
    -Make a list of positive changes you want for the family and try to adopt one per week. For example, one week tackle the soda issue: maybe switch to cans instead of jugs for portion control, and start getting slightly healthier ones such as Hansens or juice with soda water? Little changes over longer periods of time add up.
    -Make her "favorite" foods but secretly swap some ingredients to make it cleaner & healthier. She probably wouldn't even notice!
    -Get RID of TV. For real. It is SO not needed and only encourages sedentary choices and a numbing of the mind. We save so much money each month from watching the shows we really want to see online [illegally... I know, I know... judge away] OR going to the gym, where I spend lots of time watching my favorite shows on the treadmill.
    -Start keeping a food journal for yourself- maybe she will follow suit.
  • ouiouilezizi
    Options
    The best thing you can do is say something like you were thinking that "we" start working out and changing "our" diet. That way she might not feel like its all on her, like your being mean. its a positive thing. my family is a "big" family as has many health problems because of it and so I completely understand how youre feeling about watching her struggle getting around and everything else. I hope the best for you both and your children, stuff like this is never easy. best wishes

This is great advice. The entire family needs a food and fitness makeover.

I repeat: do NOT say "honey, you need to lose weight."

Whenever someone has told me that in the past, even though I know they are right I didn't want to hear any of it and it makes me want to eat even more crappy things. When my boyfriend's health-conscious, marathon-running mother visits, she always makes comments about my nutrition, "heavy foods" I am feeding her son, etc. which seriously has the complete opposite effect.
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I agree with making it a "we" thing and not trying to make it all about her. Make it a family priority! My husband and I just got bikes and we realllllly enjoy riding together ~ with or without the kiddos!! Sometimes we will leave them with our oldest (she is almost 14) and we will go out for an hour!
  • coco3382458
    coco3382458 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I would start your own health journey 1st so she sees you doing it and then will follow suite and she will also feel like she has someone to do it with. My Hubby is not obese or overweight but he is out of shape and loves his junk food. I never asked him to exercise or eat healthy with me but when he saw me doing it he asked if he could join me which I was shocked. We have been exercising and eating healthy for close to a month together now :smile: I never asked him to join me because he is his own person and I feel like its when you are trying to get someone to stop smoking-They have to want it them selves. So rather me pushing the idea on my hubby, I let him come to me at his own will. Make sense? Best of luck to you and your family!!
  • Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Well... who does the cooking in the house?

I found that when my mom was dieting (& my dad was the really overweight one) when she cooked the meals, she made better choices... two vegetables instead of a vegetable & starch. Or a salad with the meal. Making sure there was enough healthy stuff at dinner to make sure that he would stay full longer, & hopefully not snack at night. That's probably one of the best "passive" methods for helping someone else lose weight. But you can't really control the snacking impulses when she's not at home.

But to be honest, she kind of has to do this for herself. You can talk to her about being scared you're going to lose her until you're blue in the face. If she doesn't want to do it, she's not going to, and you can't make her.

If you're honest, open, and communicate your feelings to her... that's all you really can do to push her in the right direction.
  • zedgt87
    zedgt87 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    this is something that requires tough love.. She needs to lose weight not be pampered. If it hurts here feelings so be it, but she NEEDS to lose weight that is just how it is. She won't ever manage to achieve that if she gets offended by the mere suggestion of it.
  • jesuison
    jesuison Posts: 34
    Options
    I understand this situation well. I am trying to get my mom to lose weight, too. She suffers from congestive heart failure, and needs to lose weight desperately. *sigh*

This is a tough situation. Sometimes leading by example is just not enough, even though it is the most tactful approach. I suggest counseling of some sort. Maybe both of you go together? Obviously if she is suffering from depression, it can only be beneficial. The depression could be caused by the weight and feeling helpless (even though she has your support, sometimes depression overpowers that). The depression can really hinder any other attempt. Maybe addressing this first or in conjunction with walking and stuff will be a start.
  • caterpillardreams
    caterpillardreams Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Since you do the cooking, you have a little more control. Subtle changes can go a long way, you said she likes Hamburger helper ok so get very lean ground beef. Search for some lower calorie recipes of her favorites, especially if your kids are also eating the same way so you are improving their health.

Also who's doing the shopping, at my worst I wasn't cause I couldn't walk enough to do it, so if you are, then cut back on buying soda, and sweets. If it's not in the house she either won't be eating it or will be getting up to go get it. And trust me, I was way to lazy to do that.

You can make little changes in your house, that will start her on the right track. Now she may drop a few pounds just with these changes which also may help her realize it can be done.

This is a goo idea, you can research how to make her favorites healthier, you can make your own pizza together, the kids love adding their own toppings, you can add veggies and less cheese.
    I love the McWraps so I make my own now, with my own dressing and healthy wrap. Its so good and save money.
    baked fries, Baked "fried" chicken, or chicken nuggets,
    Baked sweet potato Fries.
    there are so many options for someone who has a hard time eating veggies.
    has she gone to the doctor? Maybe she needs the doctors wake up call. I used to smoke I quit before my husband, it has taken him such a long time, and he is fighting hard, but before he did not want it, no matter what I said it made no difference, he had to see it and want it, and then see that its possible to quit and be ok.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Have you considered not making her the food she wants?

+1

Don't buy it either, keep that stiff out of the house. As a minimum she would have to walk somewhere to get it.