You CAN do this

Options
I will admit, I get frustrated when I see posts about over indulging one day, or what to eat at a restaurant. Don't sweat the small stuff!! And in the scheme of a lifestyle change, 1 meal, heck 1 day, is a small thing!!! Keep an eye on the big picture and you will be just fine.

Case in point. Tuesday just before lunch my husband unexpectedly had the rest of the day off and called for the boys and I to join him at the movie theatre. Ended up with a Popcorn lunch, with a handful of Sweet Tarts for lunch.

That night for dinner we went to our Pop Warner leagues spaghetti dinner. Portions were good but food made for the masses is usually not prepared in the most health conscious way.

When I hit the Wii balance board Wednesday morning, I thought for sure I was going to pay the price. Guess what? I was .2 down. Even though I really had a 'junk' day the day before, I still kept it just under my calories for the day, had fun with my family, and still lost weight!!

My point. You don't have to be a saint. No one is asking for that. You just have to 1. Want this and 2. Keep an eye on the big picture.

Okay... getting off my soapbox now.

L

Replies

• rlshirk74
    Options
    Thanks for posting this! :) I tend to beat myself up when I "cheat." After that I get depressed all over again and then I fall off the wagon completely. It's good to hear that other people "slip" off the wagon of a healthier lifestyle. Thanks for the encouragement! :)
  • sunshine79
    sunshine79 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    You are so right. Since I made the decision to stop obsessing about every single micro calorie that I consume and stopped worrying about exactly how many calories I burn during exercise I am doing much better and I'm much happier. I'm starting to see the change in my body and that's good enough for me.

The bigger picture to me is making the best food choices I can wherever I am and being as active as possible and you know what, it works for me. :wink:

Great post
  • PoeRaven
    PoeRaven Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I agree with 100%
    Having an "off" day every now and again can actually be a good thing. :drinker:
    Thanks for letting the masses hear your voice...
  • loopybec2002
    loopybec2002 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I totally agree. I don't beat myself up anymore I may unconsciously do an extra half an hour on the wii to make up for a splurge but thats more my choice than feeling I have too. If you give up everything you enjoy never have a cheat meal what will it be like when you get to your target weight and start eating all the things you have been missing out on.

In life a little bit of what you fancy does you good its when you get to the big bits of what you fancy everyday that you need to start worrying.
  • timbotina
    timbotina Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    Exactly!!!!!! My theory is healthy 80% ....unhealthy 20%.....that way I am not "falling off" any certain diet....I eat what I want once in a while and get right back into being healthy again.....this is a lifestyle....no diet....you MUST live!!!! I mean....who can pass up birthday cake for the rest of your life....or not celebrate an anniversary....or just have a fun afternoon at the ball park with your kids....and so on....I am now down a total 47# doing it this way over almost 5 months and I see no stopping me in the future......
    Not sweating the small stuff, well put!!