HELP! Im addicted to coffee creamer!!

Options
As I look over my diet record the past couple of weeks, one thing is glaring at me....FRENCH VANILLA COFFEE CREAMER makes up a major portion of my calories. I have a cup or two of coffee in the morning and then make an iced coffee in the evening. (I don't add another line item, I just add more tablespoons to my breakfast)
I've tried the fat free, but it doesn't make that much difference when it comes to calories and you can't get the BIG container in fat free. Any ideas of how to kick my 'habit'?

Replies

• ardaniels0417
    Options
    You sound exactly like me! So funny... I love my coffee, and my creamer. Some would say I drink coffee with my creamer. Do you use powder or liquid? The powder has less calories. I have cut back alot. Try to decrease by one teaspoon every day til you are down to an acceptable amount...
  • phitme
    phitme Posts: 124
    Options
    I use powder (not fat free or sugar free, I hate the stuff). What I did to wean myself off ot it was to add a small amount of skim milk & then just increased that each day.

It took a few months but now, I have straight skim with real sugar in one cup in the morning. If I want a treat on the weekends I have creamer in my coffee. Since doing that, it has become a serious treat but I find that I don't miss it on a daily basis.
  • CGerman
    CGerman Posts: 539
    Options
    I'm the same way - I start every morning with coffee and hazelnut creamer. I just gradually cut back on the amount I use - who knows how much I started with but I had coffee flavored creamer instead of coffee with creamer :blushing: I now have 3 tablespoons in my 16 oz mug. For me - that's worth the 45 calories a day.
  • carrscanary
    Options
    Yes. The way to do it is wean yourself off. Very, very slowly but very surely. I used to take sugar and lots of creamer in my coffee but slowly, slowly reduced the sugar. Now I can't stand any sugar at all. Ugh. My taste has completely changed. And now I only take a little cream or milk in it. No powdered creamer as most like Coffeemate also has sugar in it.
  • whitneymws
    whitneymws Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Me too! I can't give it up. I've been using this website since May and I've lost 11 lbs, I think that my French Vanilla Coffee Mate creamer is about the only thing I haven't given up. I still lost weight! I tell ppl I sacrifice food calories for coffee :) Not exactly healthy but it's worked.

Good luck! If you're able to give it up, you're doing better than me!
  • SoldierDad
    SoldierDad Posts: 1,602
    Options
    As I look over my diet record the past couple of weeks, one thing is glaring at me....FRENCH VANILLA COFFEE CREAMER makes up a major portion of my calories. I have a cup or two of coffee in the morning and then make an iced coffee in the evening. (I don't add another line item, I just add more tablespoons to my breakfast)
    I've tried the fat free, but it doesn't make that much difference when it comes to calories and you can't get the BIG container in fat free. Any ideas of how to kick my 'habit'?

I guess I am the weird one of this bunch... I actually struggle to eat enough calories a day so I use creamer to get more calories. LOL! I do love that fat free creamer to!
  • citizenstarr
    citizenstarr Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    You HAVE to try syrups by either DaVinci or Torani. They are amazing. They have a million flavors. I have found them in Super Walmart near the coffee and in stores like Ross, TJ Maxx, Marshall's etc. in the food gift aisles too. They make sugar free versions too. I can't say enough good things about them. I used to be a creamer addict too because I grew up in a house where you didn't have coffee unless it had creamer in it. I thought I would be out of luck forever, never having interesting coffee flavors again once I started my lifestyle change. My uncle introduced me to his syrup addiction over Thanksgiving last year. He has a wine bottle rack full of different flavors!! :laugh: I bought a small bottle of sugar free coconut Torani and I was HOOKED from then on. Now I have coffee with nonfat milk + 2 tsp of these syrups and my coffee makes up way less of my daily calories. Good luck!

http://www.torani.com/
    http://www.davincigourmet.com/
  • ltlhmom
    ltlhmom Posts: 1,202 Member
    Options
    Why not buy flavored coffee and fat free half and half?
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I agree with others... wean yourself off slowly. I have over time been able to decrease the amount of cream and sugar I use in coffee (I now usually use 1 creamer and a couple of splenda or sugar in a normal size cup, 8 oz or so). I can go without cream now too, but I don't think I'll ever be able to drink coffee black!

Or if you can live without coffee, I find flavored teas a nice alternative. Still have to add sugar but not the cream. :) Or could you use flavored coffee and just add skim milk?
  • Photoplex
    Photoplex Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way - I'd put a ridiculous amount of creamer in my coffee. Then I realised that the largest ingredient in creamers is hydrogenated oil... that's really bad mojo.

I just forced myself to start drinking black unsweetened coffee. It was brutal to begin with. I'd maybe drink 1/3 before ditching it. But over time, I've gotten used to it, and am now starting to actually enjoy the taste of the coffee unmolested and unfettered. I tok a swig of someone elses coffee the other day with creamer in it, and it now tastes like pure fat in my mouth.
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I was sure one of my students had put something in my coffee the other day... but it was just that the person who'd made the coffee had made it "his way" and put sugar in the cone.... ick, ick. ick.... I was positive I'd been poisoned...lol...
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    :drinker: I log 3 tablespoons of cream daily. I tried the skim milk, 2% stuff, the no fat, and the low fat cream. I can deal with the low fat cream (still prefer the half & half), but not the others. I do occasionally have a dark chocolate creamer in a coffee in the evening.
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    I buy big containers of sugar free Coffee Mate french vanilla liquid creamer - it has only 15 calories/tablespoon instead of 40.... which is still kind of a lot- especially when you use a few at a time, but it's so worth it to me!
  • princessbee728
    Options
    I only use the powdered creamer occasionally, and even then lately I've been using the preportioned tubes. Usually, instead of creamer or half and half, I just use 2% milk, and only a little. My hubby won't drink anything lower than 2% - he says it tastes like water! :/
  • iluvwdw
    iluvwdw Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Why not buy flavored coffee and fat free half and half?

That's exactly what I was going to say :bigsmile:
  • jmathews
    jmathews Posts: 196
    Options
    That's one thing I will not give up...my creamer, Splenda, and my coffee. I have switched to the powdered kind, though. It makes me happy.:happy:
  • billgiersberg
    Options
    Like many others, I enjoy my coffee in the morning. At one time I began to use Coffeemate thinking it was a better choice than half-and-half but my health-nut stepmother cautioned me that it was full of unhealthy artificial stuff. But wait...a check of the nutrition label says no trans-fats. More study finds that the maker is allowed to round DOWN anything that is less than 0.5 grams so it appears they list a serving as a teaspoon and round down the bad news. Who uses a teaspoon? Do a little study on what's in coffeemate and how much you use each day and go from there. One person suggested the syrups instead of flavored creamer. That is something I think I'll check out for my wife. She loves the flavored stuff. Maybe I can switch her over to a healthy choice.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I use fat free half n half (15 cals per 2 tablespoons) and I use cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice to add flavor without calories. There is also the sugar free french vanilla creamer which is 30 cals per 2 tablespoons and no sugar, so a little better for you.
  • Raina0512
    Raina0512 Posts: 216
    Options
    :happy: I looooove Folgers Caramel Drizzle coffee with some skim milk and a little Splenda! Very low calore and VERY yummy
  • roadchic18
    roadchic18 Posts: 128
    Options
    :happy: I looooove Folgers Caramel Drizzle coffee with some skim milk and a little Splenda! Very low calore and VERY yummy

That sounds yummy! I think I'll try that.