Options
2»

Replies

• snoopytwins
    snoopytwins Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Deadlifts + squats = happy

low-back-pain.jpg
    Wow...nice way to misrepresent. I actually have had issues with lower back pain. And since doing deads (properly) I've had no issues.
  • Turnaround2012
    Turnaround2012 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Just did deadlifts and squats for the first time in 30 years. Feels great!
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Deadlifts have done wonders for relieving the pain from my bulging disc.
    Not prescribing them for anyone. But.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options

low-back-pain.jpg

Only if you do it wrong.

^ Agreed. The pic is Ignorant trolling. If you don't want lower back problems then you need to strengthen your lower back and not let it atrophy. The single best exercise to strengthen your lower back is the deadlift.
  • Turnaround2012
    Turnaround2012 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    bump
  • F1TCH1K
    F1TCH1K Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I *heart* dead lifts & squats :)
  • StaticEntropy
    StaticEntropy Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Just finished some deadlifting. 5/3/1 with Big But Boring (5x10 at 50% max weight). Everything is fatigued. Calves, thighs, glutes, hams, core, back. And oddly enough, the upper part of my pecs. And my forearms from gripping. And my neck. Is there anything the deadlift does not hit? Maybe the upper arms.

Anyone not deadlifting should give it a go. If you don't have a barbell, try those burpee things. Those look like they could do some good work, too.

Just thought I would share.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Tom
    Just triceps (since triceps need to extend forearm away and that doesn't happen on a deadlift). But agree it's probably one of the best exercises ever. Clean and jerks do add the triceps in though.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Triceps contract isometrically during a deadlift. Plus, squeezing the tri's prevents bicep tairs when using a mixed grip.
  • lexherrera
    lexherrera Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I need to put on some knee high socks and march myself back to the big boy room already.
  • Junken_Diraffe
    Junken_Diraffe Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I have degenerative disc disease and scoliosis, have ruptured L4/L5, and was in a wheelchair for 3 months as a result of the ruptured disc. I LOVE deadlifts. So far, my max has been 135#, as I'm taking it slow and perfecting form, so as to avoid injury. My back has never felt better than it does when I'm lifting.
  • StaticEntropy
    StaticEntropy Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    And squats are bad for the knees, right?
  • bio01979
    bio01979 Posts: 313
    Options
    Deadlifts are lovely but they are not for everyone. No exercise is. If you have pre-existing lower back problems, you can seriously injure yourself while doing a deadlift, especially if you are not aware of your body positioning. It's a fairly technical lift so it takes some care to do right.

given my chronic low back issues and SI joints that move too much, even if I was doing it technically perfect it would be bad for me lol
  • bio01979
    Options
    And squats are bad for the knees, right?

lol nice :)

so is swimming :P
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    edit: decided my question was off-topic.

... as you were ...
  • bio01979
    Options
    Here i am preaching the evils of the deadlift, and here comes the deadlift demons to influence innocent lumbar souls into the grasp of the devillift

What amazes me is how people take offense so much to criticism of an exercise! i can understand if I were insulting your god, but an exercise?

But seriously, anecdotal evidence of it "helping" your back is useless. But it is an exercise I have seen many many many do incorrectly, and have seen many get inured from. I would LOVE to see a study done examining back injuries on people who deadlift regularly. Let's get past the bro science.

I could see it helping certain back injuries if they are due to muscular issues like the small muscles being atrophied. But I can also see them hurting some people. I could also see strengthening that area being beneficial if that is a movement that triggers a spasm because you need to learn to do it right

for me, I think they would hurt more than help until I get my back better but that is me (and maybe after my back is good I could try them )

I think calling them evil is ridiculous, not everyone will have problems with them and not everyone will be helped by them
  • tehboxingkitteh
    tehboxingkitteh Posts: 1,574 Member
    Options
    198950_525771457490507_1368652077_n.jpg
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options

low-back-pain.jpg

Only if you do it wrong.

^ Agreed. The pic is Ignorant trolling. If you don't want lower back problems then you need to strengthen your lower back and not let it atrophy. The single best exercise to strengthen your lower back is the deadlift.

EXACTLY.
  • ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    It's my favorite exercise. I'm still trying to perfect the form (I'm a little late with my hips) but there's nothing like pulling a crap load of weight off the Earth to make you feel strong.
    3886b378cc768db8b8bb7ae78cb26aab.gif
    Very cool! I'll probably watch this a few times right before I go for my deadlift PR on Tuesday.
  • CoachDreesTraining
    CoachDreesTraining Posts: 223 Member
    Options

low-back-pain.jpg

Only if you do it wrong.

EXACTLY.

Hate to rain on anyone's parade, but lower back pain is rarely a result of erector spinae weakness. Our lower backs are actually incredible strong.

That's not to say deadlifting with good form won't help relieve back pain, but that's more a result of core stability and hip mobility/strength.
  • Troublemonster
    Troublemonster Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I'm new to Deadlifting. Is the form correct on these examples above?

The gif I posted was of a very heavy DL for me (405 lbs). Ideally the back shouldn't round at all, and the bar should move directly up and down. I bent my knees a bit too early on the way down, it's something I'm working on.

I usually only bother to take video of really heavy DLs, so unfortunately I have no video of myself with what I would consider "ideal" form.

The first couple reps of this set were pretty decent: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbaBJ4f4_24

And the video that gif was made from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhbdH4qb8wo

Thanks for this. I pulled 405 for a double for my first time today after my three 5/3/1 sets and my wife took a short video of it. I can see my back rounding over a bit and I was feeling a little bad about it even though I know that when a person is at or very near their max and is fatigued form will usually suffer.

I have no pain at all from the lifts and have been squatting a dead lifting for well over a year now.