Is my addiction to diet soda keeping the scale from moving?

Options
I'm 5'5", 185 lbs. I lost 30 lbs between June 2012 and December 2012 by eating less calories and working out 5 days a week. After Christmas, I kept working out and eating less calories than I had when I was heavier, but the weight just wouldn't come off like it did before.

Now it's June of 2013 and I'm so frustrated. I'm burning calories like crazy every day (Turbo Fire) and eating about 1500-1800 calories a day, but the scale just isn't budging.

I don't drink water unless I'm working out. I drink Diet Mountain Dew. I'm beginning to wonder if my addiction to diet dew is keeping the weight on. What do you all think?

Replies

• SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I think it is ridiculous. It's calories one way or another that is keeping the weight on. Get a check up to find out if you have a metabolic issue that could be making losing harder. There really isn't a reason on paper why you aren't losing.

PS I quite diet soda and artificial sweeteners for over 3 month's I didn't lose a single pound.
  • crippledvirgin
    Options
    Well, diet soda is 0 calories, so it's not the soda. You could start by drinking a gallon of water a day. Just buy a jug of water and take it with you so keep motivated and know how much you're drinking.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    It is highly unlikely that it's the diet soda. I drink diet soda on a regular basis and I'm still losing weight.
  • tabfjo
    tabfjo Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I don't know what's keeping the scale from moving but I would take soda out of the equation all together. It has no health benefits! Look into clean eating. A great place to start is with Kelsey Byers' book "Eat Clean and Follow Your Dreams." In it she talks about how she really didn't see results until she changed her diet. Most trainers and nutritionists will tell you that becoming fit is 20% fitness, 80% diet.
  • JustPeachy044
    JustPeachy044 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I agree with the recommendation on clean eating. Really, have you read the ingredients in diet soda? Yuck.
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Considering its 0 or negligible calories, its probably not the problem.

I would turn more to lack of understanding of daily caloric needs, inaccurate weighing or measuring of food, inconsistent logging, overestimation of caloric burns from exercise, very common mistakes that I too have made in the past. Focus on those things I listed and throw in a little bit about eating appropriate macronutrients for your goals and you will start seeing the weight drop, I'm sure.
  • shutupandlift13
    Options
    Also, in for definitions of "clean eating" and how it leads to better results than simply caloric deficit and proper macro goals.
  • jamielynas
    jamielynas Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    When I was anorexic I was drinking about 6 liters of diet coke a day, funnily enough the fact I wasn't eating seemed to have more impact
  • CrankMeUp
    CrankMeUp Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lytyr3nj6o1qkikgro1_250.gif
  • shutupandlift13
    Options
    tumblr_lytyr3nj6o1qkikgro1_250.gif

True story.
  • broscientist
    broscientist Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    In for definition of "Clean" eating as well.

If I spray my steak with Windex, Does that make it "clean"?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    Are you logging all your food? Are you using a digital food scale to measure your portions?

It's really easy to make 300-800 calorie a day mistakes if you aren't.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Considering its 0 or negligible calories, its probably not the problem.

I would turn more to lack of understanding of daily caloric needs, inaccurate weighing or measuring of food, inconsistent logging, overestimation of caloric burns from exercise, very common mistakes that I too have made in the past. Focus on those things I listed and throw in a little bit about eating appropriate macronutrients for your goals and you will start seeing the weight drop, I'm sure.

This.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    I agree with the recommendation on clean eating. Really, have you read the ingredients in diet soda? Yuck.

What does this even mean?
  • horselvr1
    horselvr1 Posts: 2
    Options
    I have seen studies where diet sodas will keep you from meeting your weight loss goals. At first you may lose weight, but you will plateu. If you are 185 lbs you should drink about 93 ounces of water a day ( 1/2 your body weight in ounces is the rule). I was addicted to Diet Dr. Pepper for years, drinking as many as 100 ounces a day everyday! It has taken me a long time to stop drinking it and has been very hard. Somedays I still get a headache from the withdrawls but I know I'm healthier for not drinking them. If you have trouble drinking plain water try adding something to it like lemon. There are powders that you can add to bottled water also, just make sure to choose something that doesn't contain aspartame. hope this is helpful to you.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    Are you logging all your food? Are you using a digital food scale to measure your portions?

It's really easy to make 300-800 calorie a day mistakes if you aren't.

QFT.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I have seen studies where diet sodas will keep you from meeting your weight loss goals. At first you may lose weight, but you will plateu. If you are 185 lbs you should drink about 93 ounces of water a day ( 1/2 your body weight in ounces is the rule). I was addicted to Diet Dr. Pepper for years, drinking as many as 100 ounces a day everyday! It has taken me a long time to stop drinking it and has been very hard. Somedays I still get a headache from the withdrawls but I know I'm healthier for not drinking them. If you have trouble drinking plain water try adding something to it like lemon. There are powders that you can add to bottled water also, just make sure to choose something that doesn't contain aspartame. hope this is helpful to you.

There is no rule to drinking any amount of water beyond enough to stay hydrated and it doesn't have to even be water, any fluid is fine. Diet sodas have been linked to problems with weight loss only because some people have an issue with artificial sweeteners making them crave more sweets.

Not losing weight especially when you have a lot to lose is either a medical issue or just not actually logging correctly.
  • ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Are you netting 1500-1800 calories? Or 1500-1800 total?
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I don't think its the diet soda. I drink enough to call it an addiction and haven't had trouble losing weight. However, I drink lots of water too.
  • broscientist
    broscientist Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I have seen studies where diet sodas will keep you from meeting your weight loss goals.

That was an extremely poorly designed study.
    The study just showed a correlation that people who drank regular soda, weighed less than people who drank diet soda. They came to a ridiculous conclusion that drinking diet soda was more conducive to being overweight than regular soda.

Correlation does not equal Causation.

The people who were heavier, was already that way independent of the soda consumption, It didn't occurred to them that people who were overweight tends to drink diet soda and that leaner individual tends to drink regular soda.