Getting Started

Options
:embarassed: since this is anonymous I can admit that I'm a bit worried about getting started. I am definitely morbidly obese, older, don't bend as well as I used to, & am really wondering what exercises, etc. to do to find the balance where I do enough without trying to do so much that I quit. I will be trying to honestly post to my journal in hopes that that keeps me on track. I'll also be looking for others who have already broken the trail that I'm about to take. Thanks for letting me say this out loud. Good luck everyone!

Replies

• raegee2012
    Options
    You will do it! Focus on the positive, watch what you eat, and when you fall off the bandwagon get back on! I will! Lets all do it together!
  • Wraiythe
    Wraiythe Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I am 41, and in horrible shape :) Aches, pains, bending hurts, knees, hips, ankles, feet, you name it. Everything creaks and croaks and protests. I found the easiest way (for me) to start, was to watch what I ate and walk. Either outside, if I could find someone to walk with, or inside with Leslie Sansone. She has in home walking and it can burn some definite calories! Then once you're more used to doing something, try different things that look interesting and see what you can do as you get more limber, stronger and smaller. You can find full workouts with her on YouTube. Hope this helps!
  • Aleta7
    Aleta7 Posts: 92
    Options
    If you have a dog or not the easiest way to get started is to Walk. You can go as far as you need to each day. Even if it is a block. And, weigh every morsel of food that you eat. It will keep you on track. Weighing the food is important, it helps you get an idea of what a portion looks like. Best of luck to you. This is a good place to be for weight loss.:smile:
  • Gigsluvscw
    Gigsluvscw Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I second the Leslie Sansone suggestion! She's great and has all different fitness levels. You can do this! Just keep looking around the message boards to remind yourself your not alone and we're all human (at least most of us :-)) and learn that going over calories every once in awhile is okay, in fact sometimes "shocks" our metabolism out of a rut/routine. Also remember, don't do to much at once, it can be overwhelming. Baby steps add up and get you there!
  • dorthymcconnel
    dorthymcconnel Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    You can do this! I'm 42 and working at this day by day. Walking is a great starting point, even if it's ten minutes at a time or however long you can at first. Add some supportive friends on here --there are many out there and you can feel free to add me as well. :smile: And just remember to take it one step at a time. You don't have to change everything over night.
  • janie12835
    janie12835 Posts: 75
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions, I'd done Leslie Sansone at some point in the past but forgot about it. Good luck to us all!
  • itscharm
    itscharm Posts: 5
    Options
    I agree with everyone. Walking is perfect! That's how I started with my own fitness journey. I used to live near a mountain trail, so I took advantage of the outdoors. I got to explore the area and burned calories at the same time. Once I felt better and stronger. I challenged myself more by doing other workouts. I added light weights also since I have elbow injury. Most workouts I have done, I've modified since I can't do all the moves. Great job on your first steps to getting healthy! You're on your way! Good luck!
  • kdv160
    kdv160 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    You can DO this! I'm 50 and it's difficult what with menopausal crap going on, but just take it one day at a time...if that doesn't work, take it one hour at a time or one minute at a time. Feel free to friend me and we can support each other! :)
  • Rosemary1661
    Options
    I am glad I found this because I am in your same situation. I am 52 and sooo over weight. I know you can do this and find an exercise you like. Do not get discouraged. I don't like to walk but found a bike for ten dollars and figured I had nothing to loose at that price. At first it was all I could do to ride around the block but last night I was able to complete a 4 mile ride in 30 min. Not race material but big accomplishment. I tell you this to let you know it can be done. Good luck and we are all here to support each other.
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I'm 58 almost 59 year old and if I can do this so can you. you do it step by step, baby step by baby step. you're not going to be "perfect" but you don't have to be. You only have to want it bad enough to be more on track than not. this is a public forum and there are a lot of us who can help you if you want it. add me if I can help
  • countsenseless
    countsenseless Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    lets doo thisssss. all you have to do is sit down. just sit there and think what do you want? how are you going to get there? just put your mind to it and your body will follow. its going to be tough at first but it gets easier trust me. add me if you want i will help in anyway that i can with motivation.
  • forevermarin
    forevermarin Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    HI! :smile: I have to admit I have tried this several times and have failed. I let life stress me out and all that it has done is allow me to make excuses and gain more weight. I no longer have the motivational group that I had. I did pay for a membership at the gym and have a personal trainer. I do well when I can actually get there, I do great and feel so much better. I just have trouble getting there. I have several health issues so looking for ideas of how to work out smarter.

Its really frustrating when I am huffing and puffing away on the treadmill or bike and the skinny person next to you is running a marathon.

Any advice is welcomed. I am morbidly obese, diabetes and have heart issues and will turn 40 in August. I have not been in a bating suit since I was in a size 12 and am now in a 28. Do you think water aerobics work?