Tips for jogging with goal to run in 3 - 6 months..

Options
I have been working out over the last 12 months through kickboxing classes... Over the last 2-3 months I have started increasing my workouts and doing various classes from cardio boxing, kickboxing and walking. 3 years ago I got into jogging and was able to jog consistently for 20 minutes however am struggling to get to that point again. I consider myself to be fairly fit for my weight and size but for some reason cant seem to breathe properly while jogging.. The day I had all the motivation I got a stitch at the beginning of the walk. Does anyone have any tips to help me get back into a jogging routine?

Replies

• TCASMEY
    TCASMEY Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    Look-up couch to 5 k. It basically has you run then walk run then walk for certain time periods. Just don't try to add too many miles to quickly. I think the number is 10 percent a week. Let you body adjust. I thought I was to pretty good shape when I started running but I got sore ankles, legs and hips. I had to start really slow and still am not going very fast but my endurance is improving and little by little I can run faster for longer periods of time.

Good luck!.......be careful running can become an addiction!:laugh:
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    C25k
  • bloblynda
    bloblynda Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I find that it helps if instead of exhaling normally, you blow out hard as if you are blowing candles out. Don't worry about breathing in again - that will come naturally. What happens is that when you blow out you are emptying your lungs better which means you take in more oxygen with your next breath
  • kgalea
    kgalea Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    When I first started running after my kids were born, I read "Marathoning for Mortals" by John Bingham. I found it very helpful and entertaining. Somewhere along the lines I read that you should breathe in 3 out 2 (or 4/3) so that you are landing on the opposite foot on each exhale. Seems to have worked pretty well for the past 6 years for me. There was also some advice (I think it was in that book) about what to do if you do develop a side stitch. Enjoy the jogging/running!
  • IMOOKS274
    Options
    Awesome.. thanks everyone.. keep the tips coming in.. I think Im just trying to push myself too much and not taking it step by step..
  • vineas
    vineas Posts: 84
    Options
    When I first started running after my kids were born, I read "Marathoning for Mortals" by John Bingham. I found it very helpful and entertaining. Somewhere along the lines I read that you should breathe in 3 out 2 (or 4/3) so that you are landing on the opposite foot on each exhale. Seems to have worked pretty well for the past 6 years for me. There was also some advice (I think it was in that book) about what to do if you do develop a side stitch. Enjoy the jogging/running!

Interesting, that's basically the breathing pattern I've fallen into without ever reading about it. I'll definitely have to look up that book.
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5K or C25k. I started over 5 weeks ago now and tomorrow I start my first running for 20 minutes straight. I like this method because it starts you off slow.. and even tells you to go slow, even if you think you can handle more. The point is to ease yourself into it.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

For the breathing, I find that it helps to take big breaths not little short chest breaths, but breathing in deep and taking in as much air as possible and then letting it all out. When I was doing short, small breaths I found that my sides would hurt terribly. Also, try drinking water before you go running to help with the side stitches. Good luck, it's hard, but you can do it!
  • amandabrady
    amandabrady Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I definitely agree with the member who suggested the 3 in 2 out (or 4/3) breathing pattern, I never really measured mine with counts before but that sounds like it's close to what I fall into. If you control your breathing, it can give your endurance a major boost. As far as stitches in your sides, I always just slow my pace and breathe deep till they go away. I've heard that's better then stopping altogether and walking instead, but I could be wrong there. Also, things like being hydrated before your run and having good posture also count. A lot of people tend to hunch forward while jogging, and it limits your oxygen intake. Stand tall and try to keep your shoulders back so you open your chest up. It may feel awkward at first, but it made a big difference for me. Lastly, I make play lists on my iPod that match the pace I'm trying to keep. Pick music you enjoy that really keeps you moving...it'll distract you from the tired feeling. Best of luck!
  • IMOOKS274
    Options
    Im really pumped now and more determined!! Thank you all for the great advice.. breathe, stand tall, hydration, step by step and a good playlist... love love love it! Cant wait to give feedback in a couple of weeks .. thanks again!!