Exercise V's Eating Query

Options
Hello!
ok, so, I used this site and app last year and lost around 10kg's, winter set in with long dark nights and my running routine went out of the window. I had planned to take up running again in March using c25k which I've successfully stuck to and completed 3 times now.... Instead of waiting until March, I picked up my running shoes in January and started training. This site, the app and c25k are a big motivator in my weight loss goal and I'm now running 5k in under 28minutes, I've also done 10k in JUST over 1hr on 3 occasions, proof enough that c25k does work, even after putting most of the weight back on....

So here's the real question.... Does running off 400cals (as recorded on my Runkeeper app/Polar Heart Monitor) really equate to not eating 400cals? Fundamentally, if I have a moment of weakness and have a "treat" which costs for instance 300 cals, does running an extra 300 cals really equate to the moment of weakness? If I'm hungry and have a banana which costs 150cal, does running off 150cal really burn up the banana or should I really be aiming to burn off, for instance 250cal???

Hope this makes sense to someone out there :)

Replies

• tabfjo
    tabfjo Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Makes sense but I have no idea! I know on my heart rate monitor it shows the calories and the fat calories. I wonder if fat calories has something to do with it? Time to do some research!
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    if I have a moment of weakness and have a "treat" which costs for instance 300 cals, does running an extra 300 cals really equate to the moment of weakness?
    Try to get a handle on your "moments of weakness". Stay disciplined. If you waver off course get back on track the next day. Constantly trying to exercise to compensate for poor decisions is a recipe for failure.

It's been said a million times, you can't out exercise a bad diet.
  • tabfjo
    tabfjo Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Here's an excellent article (in my opinion) that explains calorie burning:

http://www.boxingscene.com/weight-loss/41811.php
  • Iain_9
    Iain_9 Posts: 5
    Options
    I don't have a "moment of weakness" very often, I am quite well disciplined, but I like the way you put it "you can't out exercise a bad diet"
  • Iain_9
    Iain_9 Posts: 5
    Options
    Here's an excellent article (in my opinion) that explains calorie burning:

http://www.boxingscene.com/weight-loss/41811.php

Nice one, like it!!!
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    I don't have a "moment of weakness" very often, I am quite well disciplined, but I like the way you put it "you can't out exercise a bad diet"

You can't no, but at the same time there is no harm to come from 'earning' your treats with exercise.

A bad diet is a bad diet, granted. If you ate nothing but cheeseburgers in your calorie allowance you would still lose weight, but it wouldn't be healthy. But eating a healthy, balanced diet and doing a little more exercise on the days you want an extra treat? No harm in that.