What do you do on rainy days?

Options
I am lost when it's raining. I'll tidy up the house, do some laundry & that's about it. It rains a lot out here in the Okanagan, for days sometimes & I get so antsy to get outside & walk. I'm poor and can't afford a stationary bike or a treadmill. No cash for gym memberships. The pavement is my gym, I guess. I just hate the slow drivers that pass staring at the "wide load" that's walking on the 4 inch shoulder.

Replies

• iNkedFiTmama
    iNkedFiTmama Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I work out at home only. I've done 30 day shred, brazil butt lift, and now i'm on chalean extreme. You could pick up something on the cheap side like 30DS which is around $10 to do on rainy days.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Even cheaper than a DVD are YouTube workouts. Or just dance during your tv shows, or march in place you know whatever gets you moving is going to be a good thing.
  • traceytwink
    traceytwink Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I walk or cycle in the rain, but if not then I stick on a DVD or do some weights in the house there are so many options ????
  • CuteMonkeyGal
    CuteMonkeyGal Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I get exercise dvds from the public library. :)
  • artsycella
    artsycella Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I bought a Gazelle for those rainy days. It's like an elliptical (i.e., low impact) but waaaay cheaper than a stationary bike or regular elliptical. I bought mine new but since then have seen people selling them cheap at garage sales, craigslist and giving them away on freecycle.
  • AmyJo0
    AmyJo0 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Today, it started to rain just as I got dressed to go out to run. I decided no going back and just went for it!. It was awesome. I used to never go out in not so perfect weather but if you have another pair of sneakers to wear tomorrow while the ones you wear today are drying, go out for a walk or run in it! It feels so good.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    DVDs or the easiest... watch a movie but run in place while you do it. I used to do it and it burned 250 calories easily during a tv show.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Same thing I do every day, Pinky - workout DVDs.
  • Gretegettingfit
    Options
    You could always just walk in the rain. I live in a really rainy area so I do it all the time. It's really not that bad. It's relaxing and taking a warm shower afterwards feels extra rewarding. Even my 4 year old will join me in rain walks sometimes.
  • Mhaney
    Mhaney Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    hasfit.com

or do like me, save up for a punching bag.
  • mamosh81
    mamosh81 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    you can find a lot of nice workouts on youtube or invest in a workout dvd, turbo fire or zumba is really fun what i do when it rains here in bergen, norway and i dont feel like going on my elliptical
  • xadian
    xadian Posts: 9
    Options
    Youtube step workouts (an aerobic step costs about $30) A very good investment!
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Get wet.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Today, it started to rain just as I got dressed to go out to run. I decided no going back and just went for it!. It was awesome. I used to never go out in not so perfect weather but if you have another pair of sneakers to wear tomorrow while the ones you wear today are drying, go out for a walk or run in it! It feels so good.
    I've read that stuffing wet sneakers with wadded up newspapers helps dry 'em out fast. Haven't tried it yet myself though.

I love running in the rain! The hardest part, if it's really coming down, is just getting out the door. Once I'm out there, I love the challenge of dodging puddles, getting funny looks from drivers, and just being out in the weather.

If it's not a run day, I do home workouts, DVDs or for the past year or so, Nike Training Club - free app full of awesome workouts. No gym, no treadmill, no equipment at home but dumbbells & my own body.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I live in California, what is this rain you speak of?
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Run in the rain! It feels delicious!
  • Gigsluvscw
    Gigsluvscw Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    All of the above! Library Dvd's, you tube workouts (I love Leslie Sansone (she has all different intensity levels)), get out in the rain, etc.!
  • sam45890
    sam45890 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    skipping rope (jump rope) you don't need much room, it's cheap and burns 50 calories in 5 minutes, you can learn tricks and do it to music. I got one about a month ago and I love it.
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I am lost when it's raining. I'll tidy up the house, do some laundry & that's about it. It rains a lot out here in the Okanagan, for days sometimes & I get so antsy to get outside & walk. I'm poor and can't afford a stationary bike or a treadmill. No cash for gym memberships. The pavement is my gym, I guess. I just hate the slow drivers that pass staring at the "wide load" that's walking on the 4 inch shoulder.
    raincoat
  • mjculbertson4512
    mjculbertson4512 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Walking DVD which I own, works great in the winter for me. YouTube can get you hooked up with all kinds of great workouts. Or pu on some good music and DANCE!