Finally succeeding in cardio and so proud of myself!

Options
burtsr7
burtsr7 Posts: 11 Member
I've always HATED cardio, always preferred weight lifting. I've always tried to start jogging but after a week or two I realize how much I hate it and how much it makes my joints hurt and I've given up.

A few months ago I decided to join Army ROTC while doing graduate school and I realized that there are 3 PT sessions a week (jogging intensive) and the PT test is a 2 mile run. Finally I forced myself to get going. Let me remind you I have NEVER jogged a full mile in my life, I've always walked part of the way.

The first three weeks were tough, my joints hurt (my legs never did, I have very strong legs from horseback riding) and my lungs burned, so every week I upped my jog sets by 15 seconds until I was jogging 1.5 minutes and walking 1.5 minutes (for a total of 2.8 miles). This went on for about 4 weeks and I hated every minute of it.

Finally, last week I realized I only have 7 weeks left before the PT test and I thought "why not try a 1/4 a mile?" sure...that's a whole extra minute than I'm used to, but let's just see. Well for two days I managed 1/4 mile with 1.5 minute breaks repeated 8 times! I was feeling so darn proud of myself I decided to increase my distance to 1/2 a mile....and I repeated it 3 times!!!

I feel so shameless for posting this on here, but I just am soooo proud of myself. I never thought I was capable of jogging 1.5 miles with only 2 breaks! If I did this in four weeks, I can't wait to see what I can accomplish in 6 more weeks! And after today's 'jog' I didn't feel like I was choking on slobber or was going to throw up (part of the reason I hated cardio..I always felt disgusting after). I feel energized and glowing with pride! With that being said, I still hated the actual process of jogging, but this after-effect is so worth it!

It's amazing how the human body is capable of so much more than we ever think, if you just push through it!

Sorry again for this shameless post, I just couldn't contain myself! If anyone has any tips on how to comfortably get from the 1/2 mile to 2+ miles I'd greatly appreciate it...I'm a complete novice and could always use advice as well. :)

Replies

• FFfitgirl
    FFfitgirl Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I have come from running for 2 sec to being able to run 2 miles currently. I completely understand

That's great! Keep up the great work
  • shorthand73
    shorthand73 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Good for you - and keep up the good work. You will be amazed at what you are capable of!!! You are stronger than you know and will continue to find all sorts of reasons to be proud of yourself!! :flowerforyou:
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I had always hated jogging, then something clicked. I jogged 10 miles this morning. I just keep telling myself, it's not gonna hurt any 'more' than it already does.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!