Bicycling for the larger than life!

Options
Hi, all. Wanted to see if anyone is interested in a cycling forum for those of us that dont fit the traditional cycling physique (yet, that is), sometimes referred to as Athena's and Clydesdales. I used to ride a lot, but commitments, life, refrigerator. all conspired. thwart my best laid plans. Have s..l...o...w...l...y... started riding some again over the last few years, but not enough to stay ahead of weight and middle aged health issues (ie being pre-diabetic andin need of knee surgury). Unfortunately summer has come upon us here in central Texas. with a vengeance -thus adding another excuse to not get on the bike. I don't like riding stationary. bikes but at least the gym is air conditioned...

Replies

• brocksmom
    brocksmom Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    welcome, I don't fit the normal profile for a bike rider, also:wink: I went out for my ride at 6 15 this morning to beat the heat.

Karen
  • lenkearney
    lenkearney Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    always admired people who can get up early to exercise (shudder at the thought)...

I used to follow a cycling column for Clydesdales... been a while. I had an accident testing a new bike and haven't ridden much since.

I am interested as I would like to train for a century- and my weak spot is the saddle. I can only rid about two hours before my butt is killing me. Any suggestions?
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    I started riding around 270 pounds
  • kevinphallus
    Options
    So did I. 220 now and rode 100km this morning.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    backstreet-boys-a.gif
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Working my way to riding again! started at 241 and I'm currently at 221. Right now I do pretty short rides but I figure anything is better then nothing and I really have been trying to make what I do count, even if it's only for 20-30 minutes. I'm lucky enough to have a couple of kick butt bikes but that's because I inherited them from dad when he died a decade ago.
  • Birdbike
    Birdbike Posts: 10
    Options
    I'm impressed with your determination. 6:15 am! wow. Keep it up
  • Birdbike
    Options
    Thanks for all of your posts. It's encouraging to read all of you comments. I know I just need a kick start (and maybe a cold front) to get me moving again. I'm committing to going to the pool in the morning. I know its not a bike, but its a start!
  • martintanz
    martintanz Posts: 280
    Options
    Riding about 3 times a week. Generally between 15 and 35 miles. 31 miles today. I plan to do 48 miles before the end of the month.

BTW, I am also active on the Clydedales and Athenas forum over at Bikeforums.net. Nice people and generally pretty encouraging.
  • udamom
    udamom Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I have used cycling as my main form of exercise since joining MFP in Jan. I ride a heavy hybrid and am looking at buying my first expensive road bike (gulp) So hard to know what to pick!
    enjoy your rides!!
  • Birdbike
    Options
    I got a midrange Trek last year. A Lexa model. I really like it and it was less than $1000 (750 on sale). Its a women's specific design, but doesn't look like a "girl's bike". Raleigh makes good mid-range bikes as well. Not sure if you have a Performance bike shop in your area, but they carry Fuji bikes which also have some good mid-range bikes as well. I know that a nice light weight bike can make all the differenc