Here's how I lost 115 pounds

Replies

• Cannon_G
    Cannon_G Posts: 77 Member
    WOW! GREAT STORY and you look AWESOME!

Thanks!
  • Cannon_G
    Great story, man. This is freaking inspirational.

Thanks!
  • Cannon_G
    This is exactly what I needed to read hear and see today. You have proven slow and steady definitely wins the race. Congratulations on making 300 days of exercise in one year. That is absolutely amazing and marvelous. YOU DID IT!

Thanks, it's so easy to get discouraged during the journey. There have been so many times when I lose perspective on the changes I have made. A year ago on vacation I ran 3 miles and pushed myself and was able to run my fastest mile at 10:20. At the time I was blown away as I was only a few months into the journey. Well two weeks ago I was on vacation at the same place and had a long run scheduled on a very hot day. I decided to take it slow and I ended up running 13.2 miles and averaged 10:20 per mile. I was a little bummed. I felt like I should have gone faster since I ran my first half under 2 hours. Then for kicks I decided to look back and see in one year earlier I went from busting my *kitten* to get 10:20 to running a practice half at 10:15 per mile. How crazy is that. Totally lost perspective on how I have changed in only a year. With eating healthier and exercise you can reach your goals.
  • strongmindstrongbody
    strongmindstrongbody Posts: 315 Member
    Oh my, you are the picture of health now! *high five*
  • BigBrunette
    BigBrunette Posts: 1,543 Member
    Thanks, I actually started taking a picture and sending it to my wife when I walked thru the door to let her know I made it home safely. I was in such bad health when I started I had a real fear of not making it. So instead of making excuses that I couldn't run/walk I would run laps around our neighborhood fire dept. That way if I needed medical help I would be close. Thankfully I never did.
    This really got to me. I admire your determination. Well done, sir!
  • persilcolours
    persilcolours Posts: 92 Member
    Incredibly impressive! And you're a fast runner, too! Amazing!!! Well done!!!
  • MaryMacAttack
    MaryMacAttack Posts: 116 Member
    W ow! Congratulations, awesome will power- very impressive! You don't even look like the same guy.
  • MySlimGoals
    MySlimGoals Posts: 754 Member
    Wow awesome work! You look so much younger too! I'm working up towards my first half marathon - maybe I should fly to the states and do the disney land half! That sounds awesome!!
  • dacquinc
    dacquinc Posts: 2 Member
    Cannon, what an encouragement! Keep at it for life! May God bless every effort and success!
  • cinrn68
    cinrn68 Posts: 215 Member
    Fabulous success!! Congrats!
  • 2stepscloser
    2stepscloser Posts: 2,900 Member
    Thank you for sharing your success! Such an inspiration. You look fantastic! Congrats :)
  • Cannon_G
    Thanks, I actually started taking a picture and sending it to my wife when I walked thru the door to let her know I made it home safely. I was in such bad health when I started I had a real fear of not making it. So instead of making excuses that I couldn't run/walk I would run laps around our neighborhood fire dept. That way if I needed medical help I would be close. Thankfully I never did.
    This really got to me. I admire your determination. Well done, sir!

Thanks, one of the highlights of this last year was being able to run in the charity 10k that the fire dept puts on in the spring. Going from running laps around it fighting to breath to finishing the 10k in 47:04 was an amazing feeling. Best of all not only did I run the race but my wife and 10 year old daughter ran it also.
  • nomorepizza2
    nomorepizza2 Posts: 85 Member
    amazing work! I had the same thing with the heartburn. I got through 2 bottles of tums a week! Since dieting I haven't had heartburn once.
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Wow! Great story, and advice! You look amazing...congratulations!
  • Fuax75
    Fuax75 Posts: 70 Member
    Really great job and thanks for posting the time it took you. Nothing happens fast and nothing worth doing is ever easy! Congrats on the change!!
  • kazhowe
    kazhowe Posts: 340 Member
    You have every right to be proud of what you have achieved. What I really l like about your story is that the reason you did all this was mostly for the sake of your health. You have shown to all of us that we can - to a large extent - be the masters of our own destiny, if we put in the effort and commitment then we can make huge improvements in our own health. Thank you for sharing and congratulations :happy:
  • Cannon_G
    Incredibly impressive! And you're a fast runner, too! Amazing!!! Well done!!!

Thanks! When I started I was doing a mile in 16 minutes. A few weeks ago I ran my fastest mile in my life at 6:19 and an officially timed 5k at 22:04.

What's funny though is when I started running I couldn't wear shorts that had an elastic waist because my belly was so large they would fall down. I had to hunt for shorts that I could wear without any issues. Thankfully I went out and found some blue golf shorts that fit but also allowed me to wear a belt with. So as I started losing weight I was able to go back to the same store and buy the same shorts in smaller sizes. My first pair was 46 and I have them in every size down to 34. For the belt I have had to punch holes in the leather so I can wear it tighter. My wife makes fun of me being the fastest runner in golf shorts.
  • Cannon_G
    W ow! Congratulations, awesome will power- very impressive! You don't even look like the same guy.

Thanks!
  • marioalberto1
    marioalberto1 Posts: 142 Member
    How tall are you Cannon_G?
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    You've done amazingly well for yourself--congratulations! You look fantastic, and I'm guessing you feel pretty fantastic these days as well. :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • dcarr67
    dcarr67 Posts: 1,403
    Congratulations!!! You have quite an inspirational story. Hopefully everyone that thinks they just cant do it read your story and start putting one foot in front of the other and post their own story one day. Keep up the great work.
  • MsMuniz
    MsMuniz Posts: 399 Member
    Amazing! Thanks for sharing your story. Congrats on your dedication! :drinker:
  • F1TCH1K
    F1TCH1K Posts: 72 Member
    Awesome accomplishment!!
  • Cannon_G
    Wow awesome work! You look so much younger too! I'm working up towards my first half marathon - maybe I should fly to the states and do the disney land half! That sounds awesome!!

Disney has the most amazing running events. For the Walt Disney World Half they have distractions ranging from marching bands to all the characters on the side of the course. At the finish line they have a gospel choir. They are absolutely amazing. For me it's such a motivator to exercise if I have a big event that I am training for.

There was a funny story about the ending of the Disney World Half for me. I am a huge Formula One auto racing fan. After crossing the finish line I was exhausted after finishing what was a huge goal for me. After a few steps I look and spot an F-1 driver who I have admired and followed for years, Rubens Barrichello. He is roughly the same age as me and was nice enough to take a picture when I asked him. I think he was more surprised getting recognized but it was very cool seeing him. When I got home I had to check to see how my time compared to a former F-1 and Indy driver who is the same age as me. Well, I was actually a few minutes faster than him. How crazy is that?

d81de182-34b3-4cd9-a03c-98b8a3293888.jpg
  • sky15425
    sky15425 Posts: 219 Member
    Wow, you look fantastic.
  • westguy27
    westguy27 Posts: 22 Member
    Well done and thanks for sharing your amazing success story. I am in similar shape to you when you started and I find it very difficult to get motivated. Your story has really helped though.
  • weberk
    weberk Posts: 34 Member
    I showed this to my husband in hopes to inspire him. He is currently 280lbs and a size 44 pant at only 27 years old. He's under the impression that a serious transformation requires a ton of money invested in the gym and your post proves (like I have been telling him) that a few simple lifestyle changes and some dedication and accountability will make a HUGE difference.

Congrats!!!! You look awesome!! Such an amazing transformation and an inspiring post.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Wonderful! A big congrats! Some steady day by day efforts and you changed your whole life!
  • aaasky
    aaasky Posts: 68 Member
    There is so much to be impressed about while reading your story! The 7:35 mile! The dedication! Really amazing, thanks so much for sharing it and congrats!
  • Cannon_G
    Cannon, what an encouragement! Keep at it for life! May God bless every effort and success!
    Thanks for your support!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!