shoes and numb toes

Options
Anyone have thoughts on this? I have a newish pair of inexpensive shoes (Ryka brand) that I bought simply to walk in, that was before I changed my living habits, but now that I am exercising almost daily, I am finding that after walking or jogging in place that my 2-3 littlest toes start to go numb. So I am wondering if it's my shoes or something else and how should I figure it out?

Replies

• HoneySunrise
    HoneySunrise Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    This happens to me too, but only when I use the elliptical machine. I can count on my toes going numb about 15 minutes into my workout. I'm fairly flat-footed so I think this may have something to do with it. People have told me that better arch support can help with it.
  • michcor
    michcor Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    It's your shoes. When I first started running, I was wearing a $20 pair of shoes I bought from Target. They KILLED my feet! They were numb, sharp stabbing pain, and I could barely walk.

For Christmas my husband bought me a pair of Nikes to run in. They still killed my feet, so I returned them.

Then I went to Runner's Soul. The sales associate suggested running shoes that were a size bigger. When you run, your feet can swell. You need that extra room so you don't cut off your circulation! I spent $100 on a pair of shoes, one size larger, and I have not had that problem since.
  • xclassiqx
    xclassiqx Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Are the shoes too small or tied too tightly? Do your other sneakers do the same thing when working out?
    Get fitted properly for shoes that will support your activities or try getting a half a size bigger if needed.
    The shoes may not fit properly.
  • Chairlaydee
    Options
    I had the same problem. I went to the New Balance store, they anayze your feet, the way you walk and fit you properly. I was wearing shoes that were too small and not wide enough. My shoes look so big but my feet love them:laugh:
  • scubar17
    scubar17 Posts: 43
    Options
    I had this happen to me earlier this year: whenever I was on the elliptical, my toes went numb in a (cheaper) pair of new shoes. I went to a running shoe store and they said that the shoes I was wearing were too small and they were cutting off the circulation to my toes. I was fitted with a shoe that had better support for my feet--and they were more expensive and about a size and half larger than the shoe size I normally wear!

However, after trying them out on the elliptical, my feet still went numb! My doctor suggested that it was the angle of the machine (and not the shoe since I had plenty of room in them now) to my feet and ankles and to try the machine out without my shoes on. He thought that if it was the machine, my feet would still go numb. Sure enough, after using the elliptical for 10 minutes, my toes were numb even though I wasn't in shoes.

So...moral of the story: make sure your shoes aren't too tight. Tennis shoes should be 1-2 sizes larger than what your dress shoes or "street" shoes are. If you're using a machine and your feet go numb...find a different exercise.
  • mcgeorge5
    mcgeorge5 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I appreciate your advice!