BMI,How To Figure ?

Options
Wht am I missing? Every site that figures your BMI & tells you how many calories you need to lose weight is different from the same info on MFP.Guess I need a simple explanation ! :grumble:

Replies

• katmariew
    katmariew Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    How different are they? Is it only by a little bit or are the numbers really different?

MFP will never go below 1200 no matter what, so if the other websites are giving you numbers lower than that, then MFP will not.
  • watfordjc
    watfordjc Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Go to My Home, Goals, and look under Fitness Goals.

Divide Calories Burned / Week under Fitness Goals by 7, and add that number to Your Daily Goal under Your Diet Profile.

MFP doesn't include exercise calories - you add exercise when you do it and then eat the calories back. Other calculators likely include exercise calories or use a different method of calculating calorie goals (e.g. TDEE minus a fixed percentage).

Using the MFP method, you don't need to recalculate your calorie needs when you change your exercise routine because those calories aren't included in your daily allowance. Non-exercise activity level is, however, but that is less likely to fluctuate as much as exercise (and is simple to change by adjusting goals).

ETA: I haven't changed my Fitness Goals since I started using MFP 7 or so months ago, because although my exercise routines have changed a lot over that time I have no reason to look at that figure as it isn't used for anything.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Um, do you mean BMR? I think what you actually want is TDEE -- total daily energy expenditure -- which is all the calories you use for the day.

Assuming that you do -- a lot of other sites will use your planned exercise to raise your calorie goal. MFP will ignore that exercise until you actually do it, and then give you the calories. MFP will therefore be a lot lower except for people who do not exercise.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. I did find a site with calculators to figure TDEE,BMI etc. Looks like the BMI is often different,so maybe it's best to just find one you can live with. Pat
  • Shetchncn1
    Shetchncn1 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Go to http://www.fitnessfrog.com/. Very helpful!!!