Slowly adding more calories back

Options
I've damaged my metabolism over time by eating little or less than I have before in the past for a while. How do I slowly add more to my diet without gaining too much? I already have by trying to "recover" on my own, but failed.

I've heard you add 100 calories every week so it's not as big of a shock to your body.

Replies

• katmariew
    katmariew Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Yeah, adding it back slowly is probably the best way to go. But maybe your doctor might have more detailed advice on how to do this in the healthiest and most effective way. Expect to gain a little weight at first, but keep your calorie counts the same. Your body will catch up if you let it.
  • alyssabrown94
    Options
    I would ask a nutritionist. I think your self help method should work, based on what I've read. I wouldn't ask your doctor because most doctors do not tend to specialize in nutrition. Unless, of course, you know yours does.
    I'm currently trying to up my so I can start maintaining and I understand the difficulty. I am a little unsure on how to do it effectively and I'm also afraid I will gain weight. But I need to start upping my calories.
    So keep us posted if you find an answer!
  • katmariew
    katmariew Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I would ask a nutritionist. I think your self help method should work, based on what I've read. I wouldn't ask your doctor because most doctors do not tend to specialize in nutrition. Unless, of course, you know yours does.
    I'm currently trying to up my so I can start maintaining and I understand the difficulty. I am a little unsure on how to do it effectively and I'm also afraid I will gain weight. But I need to start upping my calories.

Great point. I hadn't thought of that. Yeah, nutritionist would be far more knowledgable than doctor.
  • andresconejo
    andresconejo Posts: 264
    Options
    Same heree :/
    Bump!
  • cmalmasy
    cmalmasy Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat here. At least this is what I think I've done. I'm 178 pounds, have eaten 1200 calories for the last 3 months, and have only lost three pounds. I'm thinking I might try to increase but I'm afraid to!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Great point. I hadn't thought of that. Yeah, nutritionist would be far more knowledgable than doctor.

Would recommend a registered dietitian over a nutritionist.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    From your profile:
    I am only 5'3" with an unattractive pear shaped body, so fat does not sit on me nicely. I am only 98.6 - 100Lbs right now, but you would think I weigh more than that because of how much fat I have on my body compared to muscle.

I also note you have an eating disorder. I am not sure mfp is a good place to be if you are still in the midst of struggling with this, and your profile indicates that you are.

Your aim should be to be building up some lean mass, forgetting the scale, and eating at maintenance at least as you are already underweight. I suggest building up to that by 100 calories a week or seeking professional help if you are not already receiving it.
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Fined out what your TDEE is and then slowly work your way upto that figure, make sure you are giving your body plenty of what it needs vitamins and minerals wise. Unfortuantly this is not going to be a quick fix, this is going to need a few months eating at your maintenace TDEE for you metabolism to start increasing, and also dont be alarmed if you do add a pound or to, it might just be your body retaining some extra water.
  • recover_healthy_fit
    recover_healthy_fit Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    All seem like good answers. I have gained weight when I tried to "recover" on my own, but stopped and lowered my intake again because I gained a few pounds in a short amount of time. I freaked out now that I'm bigger, but still underweight...I don't even look like I am. I tried to lift heavier while eating more in hopes I wouldn't store fat and start rebuilding my muscles back up, but like I said, I failed. I stopped lifting heavier because I was still too weak. I stopped lifting, but didn't lower my food intake, would I should have.....I got into a lazy slump and sat for weeks with the occasional workout... I regret trying to recover on my own....

My lowest was 89Lbs, but now my weight fluctuates from 95 all the way to 100Lbs...some times 101.....of pure fat. It was fast weight gain, too. I am seeking help, but the clinic is taking a long time to get back to me for my first meeting because of a new program they're putting together. We're waiting for their call.

And I don't mean to promote unsafe behaviours, I'm just needing to let this all out from time to time and to see if there is anyone else struggling with this.....I don't mean no harm to anyone here.. :frown:
  • recover_healthy_fit
    recover_healthy_fit Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Also, how do I know which weight to put to find out my TDEE? I fluctuate so much now...Even if it is water weight, it will alter the numbers..