How did you lose your weight?

Options
Hi! I'm 4'11 and 281 lbs. I'm WAY over a healthy range for my height. My starting weight was 287. Initially, I want to lose 150lbs. However I've broken this journey down to smaller goals. Mainly, I just want to be healthier. I was wondering how did you all lose your weight?

Replies

• seawolf86
    seawolf86 Posts: 55
    Options
    Eating at a calorie deficit, cardio + lifting heavy and eating mostly clean! You can do it :)
  • BigBrunette
    BigBrunette Posts: 1,543 Member
    Options
    Eating at a caloric deficit. No exercise...yet.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    By controlling what I eat.
  • RiCEBUNNiE
    RiCEBUNNiE Posts: 10
    Options
    i started by cutting things that werent so great for me outta my diet then when i could i added some exercise.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    The first 6 months just counting calories. Then I began walking as my knees improved due to weight loss. Now I am still counting calories and exercising 1-2 hours per day. You can do it too! Take it one day at a time.
  • uscfan0277
    Options
    I'm still in the process of losing my weight, but I lost the first 43 by drinking only water and skim milk, eating an 1800 calorie per day diet, and in general just eating healthier. But as of June 22, I started the optifast 800 program prescribed to me by my surgeon and lost 5 more pounds. I have to be on this plan for one month and have to lose at least 20 lbs during that time then I'm having gastric bypass on July 24. I am nervous and excited all at the same time. I can't wait to see the new thin and healthier me!!! Good luck to all of you as well.
  • moviewatcher
    Options
    I started by eating healthier. For example, I ordered a salad with dressing on the side, skipped appetizer and desert. If i ordered a baked potato, I got butter and sour cream on the side, adding only half. I followed this pattern for a year, along with walking my dog 1 hour 3 days a week and lost 37 pounds. Over the last year i gained 4 pounds back,but i am not letting it get me down.
  • Bama56
    Bama56 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    cuting out processed & refined foods, sugar, and excessive sodium = success

which in reality sugar & sodium trace back to processed foods.
  • chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    I workout at least 5 times a week and eat under 1200 calories. I eat healthy food not crap!
  • littlelady2b
    littlelady2b Posts: 104
    Options
    I started by making a commitment to myself and that commitment is to like myself first no matter what size I am, to love myself enough to make a total lifestyle change, to accept that there will be challenges a long the way, to understand that the scale isn't the only way to determine success and that I will make mistakes but that I will always pick myself up and get back on my weight loss journey to a healthier new me. I've lost 15 lbs and still going strong.
  • cenafan
    cenafan Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    By staying within my calories outlined here. I started by just going for 5km walks. Now I've added in the gym at least 5 days a week.

I still have "cheat" meals and vacations. Those will always be a part of life. It's all about balance.
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I have lost the weight by counting calories and weighing out my portions. I started with mostly zumba 3 to 4 times a week. I always have mixed it up a bit by doing a few other things here and there. I am into running now. I eat everything in moderation and have a really good outlook on giving this weight loss time and not stressing too much.
  • thatonepersonfromtheinternet
    Options
    I've been at this for a bit over a year now and I've thankfully changed my habits a lot. When I started, I automatically went into exercising. The problem was I wasn't watching my caloric intake. So I lost 10lbs in the first month then stalled for the next while and slowly dropped. I've now got my diet in check and I've managed to drop nearly 50lbs.
    I guess the key is balance
  • symonspatrick
    symonspatrick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    All of my weight has been lost by eating and drinking less calories than my body needs.
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Well I've just started here , though I've been on diets off and on for years, so far I've started by logging everything on here, which has been a tremendous help. There is no great secret, no magic food, just simple math of 'eat less and move more'.

For the 'eat less' compinent, this site has been very helpful: I've always been a healthy eater in that I stay away from junk food and packaged snacks for the mist part, but my problem is that I eat too much. Too much healthy rice cakes with too much cheese packs on the pounds just like too much pizza and fries will do. So for me the big change was weighing and measuring instead of eyeballing. Pouring a tsp of olive oil on my salad instead of just pouring out of the bottle.

And the exercise: I've been going to the gym for a while but only now am I really taking it and myself seriously. Getting up earlier to make sure I have enough gym time, pushing myself a little more each day.
  • andread7644
    andread7644 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Gastric Bypass Surgery has saved me. I would recommend it to anyone. However, the diet that I follow is low carb high protein. And definitely no sweets, junk food, fast food, etc. Although you can follow this diet without surgery, when you are significantly overweight odds are it is going to end up like any other diet...you fail and give up. My gastric bypass has givin me the motivation I needed, and the tool that I needed. I also excercise 3 to 4 times a week in the gym for about an hour to an hour and a half.
  • Nijm
    Nijm Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I too am 4'11 and at my peak I weighed 250lbs., to date I've lost 55lbs. I started my journey to a healthier lifestyle over a year and a half ago, after a ten year struggle with my weight. Since then I've made a commitment to change the way I eat and prepare foods. I've incorporated fresh fruits and vegetables into my diet and eliminated numerous carbs and sugars. I try to consume no more than 1200 calories a day and walk daily. I set new weight loss goals every 6 months and my goal for 2013 is to lose another 15-20lbs. I have an awesome troop of cheerleaders whom support, inspire and motivate me daily. You can do it! Push through your barriers, get active, make better food choices and say "FCK BEING FLUFFY"
  • blt0087
    blt0087 Posts: 115
    Options
    When I first started round 2 of my weight loss, I was a broke college kid who worked at 2 pizza places and walked back and forth to work (I would start at 9am and get home around 11:30pm). I didn't watch what I ate or anything, but I did cut out sodas. I would walk nonstop, everyday (i had a pedometer app on my phone and would average 20,000 steps before my phone would die..and that was halfway through the shift of my second job), and the weight took care of itself. Now that I'm not on my feet constantly, I need to work a bit harder so I've incorporated a workout routine and watch my calorie intake.