what can i do with my left over tofu?

Options
coco3382458
coco3382458 Posts: 296 Member
i made stir fry with it last week but i have a half container left in the fridge waiting for me to do something with it but I have no idea what.....

Replies

• MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Anything....wallpaper paste; spackling compound; putty; concrete crack filler; the list is endless. Just don't eat it! It isn't actually food, it's some awful protoplasmic blob with a vague resemblance to food.
  • TravelDog14
    TravelDog14 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I love tofu, in fact I just had some for dinner with brown rice.

I slice it thin and throw it in the bowl with the rice, add two tablespoons of rice vinegar and a small amount of teriyaki sauce. Mix it well and eat it.
    Of course I only buy firm tofu so don't know what type you have.

For the rice/tofu mentioned above I don't even heat it up, just eat it all cold. But I realize I have some odd ways of eating food and don't like most food unless it's eaten cold.
  • BigBrunette
    BigBrunette Posts: 1,543 Member
    Options
    I like it scrambled with eggs and veggies.
  • thisdamselflies
    thisdamselflies Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I blend 1/8 of a block of tofu into my breakfast smoothies every morning, along with 1/2 cup soymilk, 2 tbsp vanilla protein powder, and 1 1/2 cups of whatever other fruit I have on hand (banana, berries, peaches, nectarines, mango, etc.). It makes the smoothie a little creamier and adds some more protein.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Anything....wallpaper paste; spackling compound; putty; concrete crack filler; the list is endless. Just don't eat it! It isn't actually food, it's some awful protoplasmic blob with a vague resemblance to food.

Is that so? So Asians have been eating protoplasmic bobs then? *rolls eyes*

OP, I eat mine cut into cubes with soy sauce and grated ginger. I will also use Memmi soup base as well.
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options

We are kindred spirits. Honestly, when I read the question the first thing that came to mind was "spackle something".:laugh:
  • bodiva88
    bodiva88 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    add it and veggies to a nice spicy broth for soup.
  • MrsSenecal
    MrsSenecal Posts: 312 Member
    Options

It is Eeeeeevil!!
  • Flessica
    Flessica Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Tofu chile cheese squares: they're great.

3 eggs
    3/4 pound tofu
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/2 tsp garlic powder
    1 lb. cheddar cheese, gated
    1 can [7 oz.] chopped green chilies
    1 1/2 Tbs. finely grated Parmesan cheese
    Paprika

Preheat oven to 350. In a blender, puree eggs,
    tofu, salt, and garlic powder until smooth; pour
    into a large bowl.
    Stir in cheddar cheese and chilies. Spread mixture
    evenly in a buttered 8-inch square pan and sprinkle
    with Parmesan cheese and paprika. Bake at 350 for
    30 to 35 minutes. Cool slightly and cut into squares.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Make mousse out of it, I made this one and it was a big hit :smile:
    http://www.eatingbirdfood.com/2011/11/easy-pumpkin-pie-mousse/
  • yuko120
    yuko120 Posts: 36
    Options
    So much you can do with it. Put it into Miso Soup, smoothie as a protein...my favorite is making Mabo-Tofu. It's like a sweet'n sour Chinese sauce you can get at most oriental markets. You add cut-up tofu, ground turkey/beef/pork (whatever ground meat you prefer), and I like to pour it over rice. The sauce is pretty strong, so you can't taste the tofu (I know some people consider tofu very bland/taste-less/boring).
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

OP, I eat mine cut into cubes with soy sauce and grated ginger. I will also use Memmi soup base as well.

I thought the same thing until I moved to Japan and tasted good tofu for the first time. The crap sold in the average US grocery is a far cry from what the gentleman with his cart and whistle brought to our Tokyo neighborhood. I love my steaks, but I am missing that guy and my favorite tofu focused izakaya.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    Tofu salad is pretty yum. Mayonaise (or a substitute if that's what you prefer), salt, pepper, and a bit of red wine vinegar. We usually also put in some nutritional yeast.

If it's the firm or ultra firm style, you can slice, bread, and bake it. You can also bake it with bbq sauce on it. It's good fried with taco seasoning. You can crumble it in lasagna. I like it tempura style as well. It's a very versatile food.

Brand matters a lot with tofu, and everyone is different with what they prefer. I like the firm, crumbly kind, the silken type is not my favorite. But, there are people who prefer the opposite.
  • yuko120
    yuko120 Posts: 36
    Options

I thought the same thing until I moved to Japan and tasted good tofu for the first time. The crap sold in the average US grocery is a far cry from what the gentleman with his cart and whistle brought to our Tokyo neighborhood. I love my steaks, but I am missing that guy and my favorite tofu focused izakaya.

Agreed. The tofu from the izakaya is the absolute best. I was born & raised in Japan, but haven't been back in decades. I also miss the Ramen-noodle stands (if only everyone in the states knew how much better it is compared to the instant noodles...).
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Agreed. The tofu from the izakaya is the absolute best. I was born & raised in Japan, but haven't been back in decades. I also miss the Ramen-noodle stands (if only everyone in the states knew how much better it is compared to the instant noodles...).

OMG yes! The ramen and soba are heavenly. I miss it so much too :(
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I slice it fairly thin and fry it with spray oil and black pepper and dip it in ketchup. That's my favorite way to eat it. =]
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    feed it to the neighbor's cat?
    throw it in the garbage?

sorry, I don't like tofu
    :noway: :noway: :noway: