Month 2. TurboFire? LesMills? C25K? Gym?

Options
So a month ago I realized I realized I was fat, and decided to get off my rear and move. Started walking a lot more, started (SLOWLY) running the stairs in my building, and even made it to the gym a few times. I'm clueless in the gym so I mainly just walked on the treadmill, messed around with some light free weights, and used some weight machines. I started watching my food a few weeks ago as well. After a month I'd lost 17pounds and 9.25" (235lb to 218lb). My UGW is 145, but for now I'd like to get to ONEderland.

I'm trying to figure out where to go from here...and would really like some input from others. :) I have lots of Beachbody programs and have halfway done a few of the workouts but never finished an entire program. I love TurboFire and I love Pump, but not alone. I found a 13 week hybrid of the two that looks manageable. I was planning on doing that...but I also really want to run a 5K in September with my husband. I'd have to do C25K though, because I haven't run for fun in a decade. I have access to a gym on our military base, but I am pretty leery of the big weight room since a LOT of the guys are jerks and yell at the "fatties" to get out of their gym. If I do go to the gym I'd have to go around 830pm since I can't take the kids in there.

My husband is worried that I'm going to do too much cardio, and I don't really want to do ALL cardio anyway. I know Pump isn't heavy lifting, but it would be a start, right? I could do TurboFire for cardio and Pump for light weights?

I just have no idea. Help?? :)

Replies

• SmangeDiggs
    SmangeDiggs Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I do pump 3-4 times a week and have noticed a difference even after only 7 weeks, i started with lightish weights in class but am now up to roughly the same as the long time pumpers. I think pump can be as hard or as easy as you make it and doesn't necessarily mean you are only lifting light weights.
    You can always move onto a weight programme when you feel more comfortable doing so.

Do whatever you enjoy for cardio - if you enjoy it you will probably stick to it. I started C25k but am getting through really slowly as i've developed a love for group fitness + spin so C25k gets put on the back burner all the time...but i will finish it eventually.
  • Anna_Joys_Journey
    Anna_Joys_Journey Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I'd be doing the DVDs at home...our gym doesn't offer anything like that. Thank you! :)
  • sugaree1202
    sugaree1202 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    See how the TF/Pump hybrid works for you. Do you have ChaLean Extreme? I get the most tone and definition doing CLX. I'm doing my own TF/CLX hybrid by following the TurboFire Class Schedule then adding in the CLX Circuits 3 times a week (I usually don't do Stretch 40 either). So Month 1 I add the Burn Circuits, Month 2 Push Circuits, Month 3 Lean Circuits. I bought all the weights I needed at Wal-Mart by purchasing 2 Gold's Gym 40lb weight sets. You need 2 sets to make equal and even weights for allthe ddifferent exercises.

Any exercise is better than no exercise so pick something and stick with it :)
  • Anna_Joys_Journey
    Options
    Nope, I don't own CLX. I live in rural northern Japan, so I can't easily purchase weights and accessories...unfortunately.
  • SuzCruz159
    SuzCruz159 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    If you are doing C25K wouldn't that be considered your cardio? I do C25K 3x a week and Les Mills Pump (at home) 3x a week, then rest one day.
  • sugaree1202
    Options
    Nope, I don't own CLX. I live in rural northern Japan, so I can't easily purchase weights and accessories...unfortunately.

Oh wow. Do you have any weights? Sometimes I don't want to switch the weights around so I hold a 3 & 5 lb handweight to make an 8lb weight for the exercises that use lighter weights. You could get away with having (2) 12 or 15lb weights, (2) 5 lb & (2) 8 lb weights. You can also use resistance bands - the 35lb band from TF would cover most of the exercises & there's a woman on the dvds that shows the band modifications.
  • Anna_Joys_Journey
    Options
    I have a set of 1lb weights, and a set of 3lb weights that can also be 5lb weights if you put more on them...but that's all.
  • Anna_Joys_Journey
    Options
    If you are doing C25K wouldn't that be considered your cardio? I do C25K 3x a week and Les Mills Pump (at home) 3x a week, then rest one day.

That's what I'm thinking, and I don't want to overload on cardio...
  • eowynmn
    eowynmn Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    It's really hard to overload on cardio if you are feeling good, but you should have 3 lifting days. Can you use heavier weights with pump at home? I would do pump 3 days a week, and running 2x a week, and turbo 2x a week. if you want a rest day - double a turbofire and lifting day (lift first though)
  • jlynneh91
    jlynneh91 Posts: 15
    Options
    It's great to have a goal in mind - for example if you want to run the 5K in September than starting/continuing the c25k now would be a great idea. I barely had 8 weeks to fit mine in before my first race, which was a 6K. I still try to run at least twice a week and I think it's given me a much better capacity for cardio endurance no matter what I do (elliptical, other workout classes, etc).

I'm doing what I can now in the summer while I have time off work and it's great weather. But, I know when it comes to my busy, busy autumn and yucky weather winter, I'm going to have to have a variety of options as well. My plan is to continue the cardio and add in some weight work in the next week or so (just started MFP this week).

Whatever you choose just stick with it and see what works and then switch it up once in awhile.
  • Anna_Joys_Journey
    Options
    It's really hard to overload on cardio if you are feeling good, but you should have 3 lifting days. Can you use heavier weights with pump at home? I would do pump 3 days a week, and running 2x a week, and turbo 2x a week. if you want a rest day - double a turbofire and lifting day (lift first though)

I can use what I can handle...but it's mostly low-to-medium weights/high reps. C25K is a 3-day-a-week program, and I would want a rest day. I guess I could double pump/turbo a couple days a week. Thanks for the idea! :)
  • Anna_Joys_Journey
    Options
    It's great to have a goal in mind - for example if you want to run the 5K in September than starting/continuing the c25k now would be a great idea. I barely had 8 weeks to fit mine in before my first race, which was a 6K. I still try to run at least twice a week and I think it's given me a much better capacity for cardio endurance no matter what I do (elliptical, other workout classes, etc).

I'm doing what I can now in the summer while I have time off work and it's great weather. But, I know when it comes to my busy, busy autumn and yucky weather winter, I'm going to have to have a variety of options as well. My plan is to continue the cardio and add in some weight work in the next week or so (just started MFP this week).

Whatever you choose just stick with it and see what works and then switch it up once in awhile.

I'd start c25k this week, so I'd have 10-11 weeks before the race...enough time to get through the program. I really need to work on cardio endurance...one reason I want to run. :)
  • eowynmn
    eowynmn Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    It's a 3 day a week program at most, you can do it 1-2 days a week and still have success -
  • sugaree1202
    Options

I'd start c25k this week, so I'd have 10-11 weeks before the race...enough time to get through the program. I really need to work on cardio endurance...one reason I want to run. :)

The TurboFire HIIT classes will really boost your endurance. Maybe do a hybrid of C25K and TF/Pump with 3 days running, 3 days TF HIIT classes & Pump strength training.
  • Anna_Joys_Journey
    Options
    The TurboFire HIIT classes will really boost your endurance. Maybe do a hybrid of C25K and TF/Pump with 3 days running, 3 days TF HIIT classes & Pump strength training.

That's pretty much what I did. I made my own hybrid schedule of the three of them, but my husband didn't want me to lift or do pump on the days I run until I'm doing better. He also wanted me to have one rest day, and at least one stretch day each week...so I put it all in and made my own hybrid. I'm excited! :)
  • sugaree1202
    Options
    Nice - Have fun!
  • Baby_sway86
    Baby_sway86 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Japan has lots of sports shops, you should try, if not PX generally sells a range (even at our baby base), but order from amazon they ship to APO and have all sizes - it's where I ordered mine from bc I wanted all my stuff pink - we are in Korea so Japan won't be a problem.
    The best time to go to the gym on base is generally morning - but the wives are the issue here, so I skip it.

I upped my cardio other wise I found weight doesn't come off. I do JM and turbofire 5-6 days a week (mon-fri I do a lot of working out about 150mins). I don't think you can really do to much, make sure you are eating right and doing the right form. I also do my stretch class on my rest day