Rest days: how important are they?

Options
I would like to start off this post by noting that I am a recovering bulimic. I've only been serious about recovery for a week, but boy am I really pushing myself.
That being said...I want to get fit. Preferably, by the time I go back to college...which is the end of August. I don't have terribly much to lose, MAYBE 10 - 15 pounds, being realistic. I'm more or less concerned with building lean muscle. If I build muscle and only lose 5 pounds but my stomach flattens out, then so be it.
That being said, I should also note that I am mostly vegan...but I do eat normal greek yogurt and occasionally fish.
So, my question is...should I take a rest day?
I run for an hour every day. That's about six or seven miles for me. Not for any other reason other than I truly enjoy running. Always have. Been doing cross country since I was 12. 8 years of something is obviously love and dedication. In addition to my running, I do a Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred workout video at night.
Should I take a "rest day?" I don't REALLY see a point in it. Plus I feel unproductive and rather gross when I don't run. Remember, running is something I absolutely ADORE doing. It's literally never a daunting task.

So, rest day...important? Not needed?
Any other tips for me...?
Because I really do want to get fit and recover.

Replies

• rougette66
    rougette66 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    personally i think its imp. in the beginning i didnt think it was but then i started burning out. when i started lifting (properly) i realized how imp rest days were bc hell if you didnt lift properly the day before and dont need a rest day the day after then you deff didnt give it your all! when you workout your muscle is being worked to max and the rest days make the muscle grow and this in turn burns cals! good luck and dont push yourself you wont loose anything if you force it or are stressed
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I've been resting for years. SO according to my results. Not important. :laugh:
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    If you feel physically comfortable working out daily, do so. I workout every other day because I would get frustrated with pushing myself to do it every day which might kill my motivation. Its worked for me so far.
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    In other words you want to excessively exercise the calories off instead of your usual M.O?
  • Nikki31104
    Nikki31104 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    If you enjoy running so much then run. There is nothing wrong with that. I don't think that is really "working out" for you anymore because you are so good at it. I did the 30 day shred too and I was determined to get through all 30 days without taking a break. It didn't work out for me that way but I am really out of shape. You look amazing though. If you can get through it without taking a break that is great. But just listen to your body. If you feel good and feel like you can do it then go for it. If you feel sore or weak then take a day off. It is all about how you feel.
  • rileyscoutko
    rileyscoutko Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Without rest days your central nervous system stops responding properly and you will not see any results.
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    In other words you want to excessively exercise the calories off instead of your usual M.O?

Wow, what a horrible thing to say. Besides, since when is running for an hour and doing a workout video "excessively exercising"?

To the OP: Unless you're talking about lifting heavy, a "rest day" is not needed if you're comfortable in your routine. Daily cardio is far from a bad thing, so long as you're not going crazy with it. But really, when you think about it, manual laborer jobs (farming, contractors, etc) usually require as much if not more activity than a daily workout. The notion of a "rest day" is more for those, like me, who started off at an extremely sedentary activity level and had to work their way up to a higher metabolism again. However, I've been going to the pool to swim every day that I can, and the only days I haven't gone have been because of the weather, not me choosing to "rest".

Listen to your body, and if your body wants to run every day, then do it!
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    I think rest days are important, especially if you're in recovery. You need to learn to take breaks and NOT feel bad or unproductive if you don't exercise one day.

At least have one day a week where you don't do the 30DS on top of your running. Even if you were doing JUST the 30DS, you're still supposed to take one rest day a week. Since you're running in addition to that, rest time is definitely needed. Maybe once a week you could just run for 30 minutes instead of an hour, and not do the DVD that night. But it would be even better if you could take a true "rest day" and just do some walking, yoga, or absolutely nothing that day.

I wish you the best with your recovery! Also since you said you've only been at this for a week, don't get too discouraged if results don't come as fast as you'd like. I know bulimia can really mess up your system, so you may not lose weight as quickly as normal. Don't concentrate so much on losing the 10 pounds, just focus on living a healthy lifestyle every day. The weight loss will come in time. The most important thing for you right now is to get your mental state in check. Recovery has a LOT of ups and downs and just because you feel amazing one day, you might feel like resorting to your old habits the next. Not trying to discourage you at all - just remember to be patient. You can do this! :)
  • GettinSwoler
    Options
    Wow that's a load

so first:
    Rest days: If you're running every day for 1 hour for the last 8 years for a rather moderate pace (if i got that rigt) rest days are out of the question, you simply don't need them

now the muscle part:
    If you seriously want to build muscle the last thing that should pop up is losing weight. Rest days are crucial as you have to recover and let your body build the muscles. You can gain muscle mass while you're trying to lose fat but that's a painful and utterly unsatisfying process, results are minimal. You want to gain muscle? Eat right and plenty, and work out, that builds muscle.
    Also i find it very problematic that you say you were bulimic and now try to lose weight. That's just plain ****ed up, it will throw you back into your old habits. I know it's summer and you want to show off your body but either health or looks, you decide.
    If you rather want a flat stomach than a healthy and strong physique you know what to do, we all do. But getting fit and gaining lean implies and demands healthy eating, with the bodyfat being one of the last priorities.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    If you want to build muscle rest days are non negotiable. The rest is the most important part of the abuse and repair equation :)
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    http://www.runeveryday.com/lists/USRSA-Active-List.html

Some people run every day for decades on end.
  • TheEffort
    TheEffort Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    Rest days are very important; your body needs that break to recover properly. This is how gains are made.

8488541.png
  • DorisInTheDena
    DorisInTheDena Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I take off every Sunday. I need the rest after working out every other day. It just makes sense to me.