Healthy Cookout Ideas

Options
With the 4th of July coming up, I though it would be nice for people to post their healthy cookout recipes or ideas...or any ideas for navigating a cookout that may not be so healthy.

Some of the things I am thinking of....

Using 100% whole wheat buns for burgers and weiners
Adding veggies as toppings to burgers and weiners
Using mustard instead of mayo as a sandwich topping
Having a giant veggie tray available

Replies

• crazeedeysi
    crazeedeysi Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Turkey burgers and turkey hotdogs
    Corn on the cob
    Grilled sweet peppers
    Grilled potatoes
  • SinomenJen
    SinomenJen Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    bumping for ideas!
  • 1longroad
    1longroad Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Shush ka bobs with chicken, bell pepper, onion, cherry tomatoes and pineapple,

Others with lean beef, onion, bell pepper, cherry tomatoes and mushrooms

You can also do after dinner dessert shush kabobs with pineapple banana and other fruits of choice. If you have children you can add marshmallow to these too.
  • janimei
    janimei Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Watermelon wedges, turkey burgers, an array of several kinds of mustard, Dave's Killer Bread whole-grain hamburger buns, water with cucumber or lemon slices in it, roasted sweet potatoes instead of chips or white potato fries. Low-calorie sorbet, light beer. Mixed-greens salad instead of potato or macaroni salad.
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Cold quinoa salads are great in hot weather and offer a healthier alternative to the potato and pasta salads. Recipes often include ingredients like corn, black beans, avocado, cucumbers, and there are a million dressing variations. Just google it or check out allrecipes.com or a similar website. Even non-healthy-eaters often like these.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I do lots of grilled veggies, even broccoli! I had a cook out last night and all the food I made was very healthy, it went over very well.

Grilled jerked chicken, smoked pork tenderloin, homemade black beans, fresh salsa and organic chips, garden salad, chickpea salad, zucchini and squash in a quick olive oil saute, and for dessert we had lots of fruit and enough for everyone to have a couple chocolate covered strawberries.

Another thing that is good for a cook out is a quinoa salad, make it like pasta salad but instead of pasta, use quinoa.

I over cooked thinking that I would have some left overs to last me a few days, well, I have some salsa, a cup of black beans, a few slices of the pork and a piece of chicken left over. Everyone raved at how good it was and there was not one single complaint that the food was healthy.
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I always serve a LOT of sides (fresh vegetables) and try not to serve bread. I never make those pasta salads that seem to be an integral part of cookouts. Dessert is a light sorbet and lots of fruit options, with cake/cookies for those who want it. Drinks are lots of ice water, diet drinks, sometimes a nice sangria. (we aren't big booze drinkers so i can get away with no beer).

Meat - i focus on chicken and turkey, and grill vegetables before i put on the meats so there is something lighter to nibble on.

Here is a great turkey burger I made this weekend - it doesn't taste like turkey (for those who dislike turkey): http://theshiksa.com/2013/06/27/turkey-burgers/?recipe_print=yes

Servings: About 10 burgers
    Kosher Key: Meat
    Prep Time: 15 Minutes
    Cook Time: 20 Minutes
    Total Time: 35 Minutes

Turkey Burger Ingredients

1 1/4 lb lean ground turkey (1 package)
    1 slice white bread, crust removed
    1 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing the burgers
    1/4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely minced
    2 tbsp onion, very finely minced
    1 egg
    1 1/2 tsp smoked paprika (NOTE: I didn't have so i used a grilled chicken spice)
    3/4 tsp cumin
    1/2 tsp garlic powder
    Heaping 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
    1/2 tsp salt, or more to taste
    1/2 tsp pepper, or more to taste
    1 1/2 tbsp applesauce (NOTE I used sugar free)
    Vegetable oil, for frying (optional, if not grilling)
    10 slider-sized buns for serving (NOTE had them without the buns and mayo)

Lemon Herb Mayo Ingredients

1/2 cup good quality mayonnaise (I like Spectrum)
    2 tbsp fresh basil, minced
    1 tbsp fresh parsley, minced
    1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
    1 1/2 tsp lemon zest

Optional Toppings

Baby kale or butter lettuce, fresh tomato slices, dill pickle slices

You will also need

Mixing bowl, grill and grill-safe spatula or frying pan, pastry brush

Cut the crust off of your piece of bread. Pour olive oil onto a small plate. Soak the crustless bread in the olive oil, turning the slice once, till all the oil is soaked up by the bread.
    Place ground turkey in a medium mixing bowl. Shred and crumble the oil-soaked bread into tiny pieces and add it to the meat along with the parsley, onion, egg, smoked paprika, cumin, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, salt, pepper and applesauce.
    Stir ingredients with a fork and/or clean hands until the spices and herbs are well blended with the meat. Gather the meat mixture in 1/4 cupfuls and make small, thick patties (they will shrink up to slider sized during cooking). The patties will initially be soft, but will firm up as they grill.
    If grilling, grease the preheated grill well before you start cooking. Cook the patties by grilling or frying (I recommend grilling). I like to brush the burgers with olive oil periodically as they grill to keep them nice and moist.
    Grill for 15 - 20 minutes or until thoroughly cooked. Cooking times may vary by grill type.
    I also like to grill the buns. If you're doing this, brush the internal sides of the buns lightly with olive oil, then grill them open-side down for 2-3 minutes till they are warm and golden crisp around the edges.
    If you prefer not to grill the burgers, you can cook them in a skillet using 1/4 cup of vegetable oil. I like using olive oil; any oil with a somewhat high smoke point will do. Heat the oil over medium heat till hot but not smoking. Fry the burgers for 10-15 minutes, flipping occasionally, until thoroughly cooked.
    Serve turkey burgers on slider-sized buns with Lemon Herb Mayonnaise and your choice of toppings.
    TO MAKE LEMON HERB MAYONNAISE: Mix mayonnaise together with herbs, lemon juice and lemon zest in a small bowl till well blended. Serve as a sauce for the Turkey Burgers.
  • estherlion
    estherlion Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I love a cold black bean salad with corn, red bell peppers, chick peas, cilantro, red onion, avocado with a ginger vinegrette.