Low Calorie foods

Options
What are the lowest calorie foods?

Replies

• kwedman488
    kwedman488 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    That would depend on what you are trying to eat. For example as far as vegetables go, celery, tomatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, lettuce, and spinach are pretty low calorie (most vegetables are). Fruits have a little more calories in them since they have more natural sugars in them (which is good for you), but if you go for fruits with high water content like watermelon, cantaloupe, apples, and grapes, they are pretty low cal and filling. I personally find strawberries and mangos to be really filling over a longer period of time more so than any others. If you're looking for low calorie yogurt, go Greek. It has a lot more protein and less fat, and I personally think it tastes better. I've been eating a lot of dannon 80 cal Greek yogurts that are flavored different things (blueberry is my favorite, but strawberry is pretty good too) and have 12 g of protein per 5.3 oz. I'm actually a huge fan of dipping my strawberries in it and eating them straight up like that. As far as milk goes, I would go skim (90 cal per cup, little to no fat) or I use unsweetened almond milk (30 cal per cup, low fat). There are a lot of options depending on what your personal preferences are.
  • freesoul
    freesoul Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    In terms of nutritious meals: soups and salads, especially the ones with a small amount of protein to make them more filling, such as meat or beans in soup or chicken breast, nuts or low fat cheese for salad. Just make sure that you only use milk and a thickener such as flour for "cream" soup, or low cal dressing for salads.

Tuna salad is pretty low cal and healthy if you add celery and green onion and only a little low fat dressing or lite mayo. Tasty, too! Stews and gumbos can be made low calorie by decreasing potatoes and substituting other veggies like broccoli, celery, mushrooms...whatever you like, depending on the kind of meat and flavoring.

Try a "smoothie" made with ice, half a cup of berries (any) and either a couple tablespoons of yogurt or half a banana.

Cantaloupe is pretty filling, sweet and low in calories.
  • janimei
    janimei Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Low-calorie proteins: skinless chicken breast; hard-boiled eggs; Bonbel Babybel light cheese rounds (red wax coating); poached fish.
    Most vegetables (excluding peas, carrots, corn, winter squashes, and potatoes).
    Fruit with high water content--berries and melons especially (bananas are starchy/higher in calories).
    Water, tea, or coffee.
  • reala728
    reala728 Posts: 31
    Options
    Low-calorie proteins: skinless chicken breast; hard-boiled eggs; Bonbel Babybel light cheese rounds (red wax coating); poached fish.
    Fruit with high water content--berries and melons especially (bananas are starchy/higher in calories).
    Water, tea, or coffee.
    this is nearly the exact diet i've been going with to cut calories. 2 eggs in the morning, generic diet shake during lunch (i work at a call center so i barely get any activity in), and chicken/veggie soup for dinner, all home made. i only logged the calories once just to check and it was about 1300 total. it may seem high but im more than satisfied with that diet, good balance between health and comfort. but i guess i've just gotten used to it.
  • Michielynn222
    Michielynn222 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Water, tea, or coffee.

Thank you very much!! :)
  • LexiAtel
    LexiAtel Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Fruits, and veggies.

Most things are under moderation. I like to eat 2-4 ounces of meat with a salad or fruit, and a 1/2 cup cottage cheese for dinner.

Yogurt is low calorie too! If you can adjust to making your own flavors.

Canned fish is good, and also high in protein.

Try to trim the fat off the meats, that adds up the cals (but some fat is good) I think I heard the trainer on Extreme Maker say the fat can only be the size of your thumb. Most fats are 100-120 calories per tablespoon, so think about how much cals you would consume on, say, bacon :o....Yeah... there's a reason why 1 slice is around 120 cals, lol