Will I be able to run a 5K if I'm only training on a treadmi

Options
Hi,

I am repeating Week 5 of C25K this week. The 5K I am running is in mid-October. I train on the treadmill, not outside. Will this mean I won't be able to run outside easily? I am increasing the increments of incline each week and am only doing 1.4 this week.

I am worried, but am psyched that I have gotten this far! I am decidedly NOT a runner--yet!

Montrose

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    From my experience I can run on a treadmill 3 miles now, but outside, the terrain is so changing to me at least it was a lot harder, and then you deal with temp, environment etc. I would if at all possible run outside some and dont base all your training on a treadmill.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Yes and no. Most people find it much harder to run outside. The terrain is rougher with unexpected hills, potholes and the like. I have never (and will never) run on a treadmill. I despise them, running inside is much tougher for me mentally as I get bored and feel unaccomplished as my scenery isn't changing. I'd much rather run in torrential downpours and snow then be stuck inside running on a belt :)

I would get outside as soon as possible. I know a lot of people have to go back weeks in the C25K program when they switch from treadmill to running outside. With that said, even if it's tough as h*ll on race day to run your 5K outside, you'll push through it because it's a competition and your endorphins will kick in.
  • elmct57
    elmct57 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    your first time your goal is to finish. if you haven't pre-walked or jogged the route or tried any outside jaunts, just focus on finishing. if it's part walk part run at least it will give you an experience of what to expect for the next one. and everybody manages to jog/run/put on their finishing kick once they see that lovely finish line. good luck!
  • jenjen84
    jenjen84 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Yes you can!!! I trained for a half marathon all on a treadmill and I was just fine!!!
  • crasula
    crasula Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Completely agree with Jrich1, outside running is considerably different due to so many factors. I've now run many half marathons and although i vary my training to treadmill and road running i do find that if i run an extra half distance on the treadmill it does go some way to making up for the differences on the road plus i find the treadmill is better on my joints compared to the impact of hard road. For example, for your 5 mile run i'd train on the treadmill for 7.5 miles as compensation.

There is also the great power of the mind and human body which produces enough adrenaline under those circumstances to push you those extra few miles you never thought you had in you :)

Good luck!
  • ❤B☩❤
    ❤B☩❤ Posts: 634
    Options
    OK, my 5K partner......I am only training on the treadmill, as well, and this past week we had a medical issue with Mark (that's why you didn't see me at the lake...sorry), and I didn't even do the training at all. The race we are running is (thankfully) labeled fast and FLAT! Don't worry! With you, me, Autumn256 and Sweetn3ss together we will get us all over that finish line! I do agree with jrich1 that it is harder outside, but with what you have already accomplished and the time left before we actually do it, you will be fine. When one of us walks, we all walk, and when one of us runs, we all run! (That's why we have the matching hats HAHA!) We are a team and we will do this! Keep up the good work! Love you! :drinker:
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Personally, I find jogging outside tougher due to the dips and turns and what not. However, I find jogging on the treadmill easier but extremely boring.. I would much rather bare with sorer legs by running outside but getting to enjoy the scenary and the fresh air.
  • jrich1
    Options

I am worried, but am psyched that I have gotten this far! I am decidedly NOT a runner--yet!

Montrose

Getting out there and running makes you a runner.
  • ❤B☩❤
    ❤B☩❤ Posts: 634
    Options
    [/quote]

[/quote]

Thanks, jrich1.....that would make a great motto for shirts!! :bigsmile:
  • sbased
    sbased Posts: 14
    Options
    I agree! I have penguin as a tattoo because penguins aren't supposed to do half the things they do (like walk uphills). There are days I feel the same way but a few 5k's and one 10k (boulder bolder) later and I am a walker/jogger/runner! Good luck and enjoy the run it will be a great time
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Let me tell you my experience. I was doing the c25k program. I had previously walked 2 5k's and was determined to run a 5k. I had been training on a treadmil as well. The day came and I tried to jog it. Did I jog the whole thing? DEFINITELY not. I changed to walking/jogging intervals. I finished faster then I ever had and that felt amazing. However, I had been so bound and determined that I would run the whole thing that I was upset that I couldn't do it. Even if it's a flat surface outside it's different on your feet, knees, joints etc..if you can get outside some. Not to mention I had been so use to running on a treadmil that I pulled something in my foot because I over worked it TRYING to run and push myself that I was down for about 2 weeks after. Don't want to freak you out or anything but it is different. I agree with whoever said finishing is what's important. Just getting across the finish line feels amazing! Good luck! Let us know how you do! :flowerforyou:
  • jrich1
    Options

Thanks, jrich1.....that would make a great motto for shirts!! :bigsmile:

I just read an article that a lot of people are afraid to run becuase they wont look like a runner, they dont want to race becuase they dont want to finish last, its getting through peoples head, there isnt really a "runner" you should look like, and so what if you finish last, you still finished.
    Alot of what is holding people back is their mind.. see my signiture :bigsmile:
  • pinbotchick
    pinbotchick Posts: 3,904
    Options
    Running is a state of mind... Running is much more mental than physical. I read once that 9 of 10 people that start C25K never finish. Congrats on getting to week 5. I did most of C25K training on a treadmill and was much happier when finally able to run outside. I could only go about 2.25 miles in 30 min of jogging when I finished C25K. I just kept adding 3 min a week until I could do the 3.1 miles. In addition to hills and weather, judging your speed outside is hard. The best advice given to me was slow down and then slow down even more. When you can't judge your speed, you tend to go too fast and tire yourself out. I'm still no speed demon (ave time 14 min/mile pace) but am now up to 8 miles and training for a 1/2 marathon... You can do it - have fun with running.

Other suggestion's for your shirts: Running with Friends - PRICELESS or Run Now - Wine Later... Checkout www.bondibands.com for more ideas...
  • ShaneT99
    ShaneT99 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I am repeating Week 5 of C25K this week. The 5K I am running is in mid-October. I train on the treadmill, not outside. Will this mean I won't be able to run outside easily? I am increasing the increments of incline each week and am only doing 1.4 this week.

Montrose

It will be very difficult but if you keep your mental focus and just don't let yourself stop you WILL be able to finish the race without walking. I trained for my first 5K on a treadmill. I finally got up to a 3 mile run on the treadmill about two days before my first race. That was the first and only time I'd ever run 3 miles at that point. I finished the 5K in 35 minutes without walking. It was brutal, but I did it.

So...stick with your training and on race day just let your training, your focus and the adrenaline of being in a race carry you through. But, do try to get some of your training done outside if you can. Running in real life is definitely more challenging than running on a treadmill.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Yes and no. Most people find it much harder to run outside. The terrain is rougher with unexpected hills, potholes and the like. I have never (and will never) run on a treadmill. I despise them, running inside is much tougher for me mentally as I get bored and feel unaccomplished as my scenery isn't changing. I'd much rather run in torrential downpours and snow then be stuck inside running on a belt :)

I would get outside as soon as possible. I know a lot of people have to go back weeks in the C25K program when they switch from treadmill to running outside. With that said, even if it's tough as h*ll on race day to run your 5K outside, you'll push through it because it's a competition and your endorphins will kick in.

I'm with you. When I decided to try C25K it never even crossed my mind that people would run on a treadmill. Races are run outside, so you train outside. Being out in the elements weather they are pleasant or challenging is half of running's allure to me.

But I agree with the race day adreniline. Just having other people around you will help you dig deep.
  • JustBeckyV
    JustBeckyV Posts: 182
    Options
    You can do whatever you set your mind to doing! Of course it is better to do some outside running but if you can't you can't. I am sure you will do just fine!! The fact that you are making this choice is what counts and you will come out a winner no matter what!
  • DawnOf1969
    DawnOf1969 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I've done four 5ks in the last year. I agree, finishing is half the battle whether you are walking, running, or both. I trained on a treadmill, in my house, where the humidity and temperature and terrain where all controlled. Once I got outside in the heat, humidity, uneven terrain, harder running surface, etc, it was quite a shock. To me, it made a difference. I never had problems with my asthma while on the treadmill. But once I got out there and started running outside, bam, first mile, asthma kicking my butt. I would say definitely practice running outside on the kind of course you will be running the 5k on. I think it will help.

Good luck!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    ok so, this is coming from an experienced runner, I've done well over 100 5K's in my life, a bunch of 10K's, some 10 mile races, and a few 1/2 marathons (I have bad knees, it's tough for me to run more than 6 or 7 miles without serious pain). But Over my years running, I've learned a few things about treadmills.

1) always be concious of your incline, if you want to train for a 5 K, alternate between 0 and 3% inclines for a flat course, 0 and 5% incline for a hilly course.
    2) Wind = incline. If you run in an area that has wind, like I do, estimate about 1.5% incline for every 5 mph of average wind speed. I usually run with a 2 to 2.5% incline base just to simulate wind resistance. You'll be pleasantly surprised that sometimes the wind is with you when you run outside, and that is an awesome bonus that can lower your 5K time by a full minute if it's strong.
    3) People tend to run slower outside. That is, when training. People also usually tend to run 10% faster when in competition. I know that when I train, I average about a 20 to 23 minute 5K, but when I run, I can do a 19 minute 5K if I'm feeling spry. That's usually par for the course.
    4) always train a slightly longer distance than you race. I.E. if you are training for a 5K, (besides doing your tempo and distance runs) run a 3.3 mile run instead of 3.1, it's always nice to see that 3 mile marker at the end of a race and know you can put on a sprint for the last tenth of a mile.

little tips about running short races.