WHY AM I STARVING!!

Options
I literally am absolutely starving, not like, can't kick the habit snacking, but like, can't get not hungry. Am I eating the wrong foods, are there more filling things that I should be including? It just seems like I consider breakfast, lunch and dinner, and try to make sure that I am eating protein, etc (I don't eat chicken or meat) and veggies, etc.

Am I over estimating my portion size? I haven't really been exercising but I do wait tables which involves walking around...

I just really want to be able to stick to this as a lifestyle change, but I have been so hungry it is keeping me up at night....

Replies

• coco3382458
    coco3382458 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I remember when I waited tables I was ALWAYS hungry. Being in restaurant and serving food all day/night, I remember I would eat even when I was not hungry and I just thought I was. Grab a fry here and there, and taking the food out made me want to order it right after my shift......and I would. I remember eating at home before my shift and walk in to work and BAM, I wanted to eat........yep I remember those days
  • JustPeachy044
    JustPeachy044 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    What are you eating for calories? Are you getting enough protein? Healthy fats? If you can, measure your foods.

Go to a site like fat2fitradio.com or fitnessfrog.com and figure out what you should be eating. If you are set at 1200, it is NOT enough.

You should not feel like your starving...can't maintain a diet like that and your body will go to your muscles for what it needs, I think. Don't want to lose muscle, you want to keep that and lose fat. Plus, you will most likely eventually go on a food bender...I would.
  • FlatWet
    FlatWet Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Haha, yes the food is temptingly good.

BUT, it isn't that sort of hungry. Literally I mean I feel sick to my stomach and can't sleep sort of hungry...
  • FlatWet
    Options
    Ok, yeah my calorie counter is set at 1200. Should I raise it? I am looking at those sites now, thanks so much.
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    Were you this hungry yesterday? I can see that you ate more yesterday than you usually do so maybe you can do a little comparison if you remember how you felt.
    Trying to stick to 1200 calories with an active job is going to be pretty tough. You're hungry because you're not fueling your body for that much activity. I'd suggest switching your activity level here on mfp to a higher level. Also, you could switch to a 1 pound or 1.5 pound loss. Accepting a slower loss is way better than starving all the time and not being able to stick with it. Then you might give up and not lose any weight.
  • mikeinjapan
    mikeinjapan Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You are consistently eating way too many carbs compared to fat and proteins. Since fat and proteins are the ones that make you feel full it's no wonder that you never feel satisfied after eating.
  • nomorepizza2
    nomorepizza2 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I feel for you. I hate being hungry. My favourite hunger buster is what I have for dinner most evenings.
    Just a couple of low calorie soft tortilla wraps stuffed (to bursting!) with some grilled chicken and tons of lettuce,onions,peppers and sauerkraut.
    I discovered a while back that the "little and often" type of dieting didn't work for me. I have a big breakfast, some healthy snacks during the day and a big dinner. It worked for me,
    Hope this helps.
  • lcfairbairn74
    lcfairbairn74 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Have you set your activity level correctly? 1200 calories is not enough for the vast majority of people but definitely not enough for doing your job! With it being that low, I wonder if you have your level set to sedentary. I agree with the poster who suggested lowering your goals as long term, 1200 is not feasible.
  • clairedrose
    clairedrose Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I really do know what you mean I felt like that most of the time. I even woke up at night and ate. This may work for you as it has for me I eat more than MFPs recommended 15 % protein, aiming for more like 20 to 25 %. I adjust carbs accordingly. I also have eliminated most added sugar. I get most sugar from fruit. I did this gradually. I begin my day with a high protein cereal,fruit and milk. I am finally not hungry. Try adding protein and reducing carbs/sugar....notice I did not say eliminate. Good luck.
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    The MFP default settings for protein are quite low and are not adequate for most people who are overweight or obese.

Try to aim for an absolute minimum of 0.8g protein per kilogram of body weight (this is the RDA for protein). If you are exercising a lot, then you may want more protein. Some athletes eat a lot more than the the RDA, and many choose to eat 1g of protein per pound of lean body mass.

In any event, try to pair protein with carbohydrates (e.g. not crackers, but cheese and crackers, not bread, but peanut butter and bread, etc.). Protein helps to mediate your body's blood sugar response to meals. When you eat a carbohydrate only snack or a carb heavy meal then your blood sugar rises rapidly. This causes your pancreas to release insulin in order to lower the blood sugar. Sometimes the insulin response is so rapid or so strong that the blood sugar drops rapidly. This leaves you feeling very hungry, and you will likely crave carbohydrates. Then you respond by eating more carbohydrates. Lather, rinse, repeat.

In order to mediate this blood sugar reaction, make sure that you eat protein at all your meals. A good rule of thumb is to eat around 25-30 g of protein at your first meal of the day and around 25-30g of protein at your second meal of the day. Then spread the remainder of your protein throughout the rest of your snacks and meals.

If you eat dairy foods, then you can get about this much protein from 1 cup of Greek yogurt or 1 cup of cottage cheese.

If you do not eat meat or dairy, then you will have to be especially conscientious about getting enough protein.
  • FlatWet
    Options
    Ok, the suggestion of bumping up protein to carbs is a good one. i am going to try that & maybe increasing my calories and see if that solves my issuess..
  • coco3382458
    Options
    have you tried upping your water? I have heard a few different places that a lot of us mistake dehydration for hunger. So try drinking lots of water AFTER you up your calories because I do believe that is part of the problem too
  • coco3382458
    Options
    The MFP default settings for protein are quite low and are not adequate for most people who are overweight or obese.

Try to aim for an absolute minimum of 0.8g protein per kilogram of body weight (this is the RDA for protein). If you are exercising a lot, then you may want more protein. Some athletes eat a lot more than the the RDA, and many choose to eat 1g of protein per pound of lean body mass.

In any event, try to pair protein with carbohydrates (e.g. not crackers, but cheese and crackers, not bread, but peanut butter and bread, etc.). Protein helps to mediate your body's blood sugar response to meals. When you eat a carbohydrate only snack or a carb heavy meal then your blood sugar rises rapidly. This causes your pancreas to release insulin in order to lower the blood sugar. Sometimes the insulin response is so rapid or so strong that the blood sugar drops rapidly. This leaves you feeling very hungry, and you will likely crave carbohydrates. Then you respond by eating more carbohydrates. Lather, rinse, repeat.

In order to mediate this blood sugar reaction, make sure that you eat protein at all your meals. A good rule of thumb is to eat around 25-30 g of protein at your first meal of the day and around 25-30g of protein at your second meal of the day. Then spread the remainder of your porting throughout the rest of your snacks and meals.

If you eat dairy foods, then you can get about this much protein from 1 cup of Greek yogurt or 1 cup of cottage cheese.

If you do not eat meat or dairy, then you will have to be especially conscientious about getting enough protein.

wow can we be friends? You seem so knowledgeable