Do Bathing suits exist for the Curvier among us?

Options
Hello, everyone! Pool season is upon us and I have an important question I have not found the answer to. Maybe someone else can be helped by this, too!

I am what I call a "Dramatic Pear." My bust is B cup , and I can fit into size 6-8 shirts, but my hips and derriere demand 12s and 14s. When I shop for pants, I shop Levi's--not because I'm brand loyal but because they make a style called "Bold Curve". (Hint hint.) Even on these, the waist will gap on me in the back a little.

I want to go to water parks this summer and be comfortable with myself, but every time I try on bathing suits they all look terrible on me! The bottoms of one-pieces, bikinis, and tank-inis were all manufactured with flat butts in mind. (Or at least, flatter than mine!)

Folks, these things ride like a corvette. I know all swimsuits ride a little... I expect it, especially when going to a waterpark and running around, sliding down, splashing around... It happens. But I need a new swim suit and I cannot find any that don't give me two extra cheeks where I need them least. I know I could wear shorts.. but even with that, the high-ride design makes them uncomfortable.

Any ideas? I wanted to look good this summer and though I didn't make my goal of bikini-wearing this summer, I would still like to wear a flattering swimsuit, even though it's a one piece. :( I tried Tankinis, but the--uh.. what do you call it? -- 'skirt' portion of the top rolls upward toward the bust in a very unflattering way on me. (The "Dramatic Pear" shape kicking me again. Someone wear's a 34B, they are expected to be no more than 34 all the way down!)

Replies

• MrsSenecal
    MrsSenecal Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Miracle Suit has awesome bathing suits!
  • Peachy1962
    Peachy1962 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    May be best to buy the suit in seperate pieces and then you can get a proper fit on top as well as you bottom half!! as for a one pc suit get a full mallot cut on the bottom and that should cover ya rear pretty well :) Hope I helped ya some!! Good Luck!!
  • strflt
    strflt Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I tried going with two pieces. :) Unfortunately, I had the problem of the tankini tops rolling *up* above my navel. It's one thing if your navel is showing because the top is purposefully short.. it's something else altogether though, when it's showing because the hem can't stay down...

And I'm too body conscious to wear a bikini. :( I'm still 154 lbs.
  • blabigaile
    Options
    They do! and they can be cute and inexpensive! . I love my swimsuit similar to this and it flatters and hides any tummy!
    Hope this helps. And don't forget to be confident! :)
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Shape-Solutions-by-Catalina-Women-s-Shirred-Halter-Swimsuit/15149480
  • strflt
    strflt Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thank you, all, for your suggestions! I'll look into them. :)
  • madrose0715
    madrose0715 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    <<<=== Curvy girl here and this was the bathing suit I put on today! Victoria secret bikini - medium top, large bottom.

eta: you can click on my profile to see the full suit...and I am 174 pounds! Don't let a number dictate what you will wear. It is about comfort and confidence - not a number.
  • brandiwalker823
    Options
    I bought a tankini and a tennis skirt lol
  • Malifacent4
    Malifacent4 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Try a two piece suit with high waisted bottoms. It's much less noticeable if your top comes up a bit and also eliminates any odd looking "cutting in" or seams at your waistline. JC Penny carries a couple brands. The waistband sits about mid-way between your actual wait and your bust. It works great for my generous curves!
  • peace_pigeon
    peace_pigeon Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    http://www.titlenine.com/category/shop-womens-sportswear-by-activity/womens-swimwear.do?nType=1

I *love* this company- good coverage, beautiful fit, gorgeous fabrics and made for moving around in :) Love all of their stuff!

Oh and they go to 40 DD :bigsmile:
  • tawnylion
    tawnylion Posts: 2
    Options
    Retro is the way to go. Adding a cute print to a one piece is flattering. I especially like the boy legged ones. Try Popina, Lolita girl, Bettie Page swimwear, or mybabyjo. Don't forget the cat eye shades!
  • hayleymc3
    hayleymc3 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I am not comfortable with myself enough to wear bathing suits but I adore 50's style retro swimsuits for curvy ladies. Modcloth has some excellent ones that I like: http://www.modcloth.com/shop/plus-size-swimwear