Heart Issue and High Intensity

Options
Hello All, I have a unique situation because I have a heart arrhythmia that gets thrown into the mix when I make decisions about how to exercise to lose weight and tone up (and as quickly as safely possible). My arrhythmia (I hate spelling that word, so let me call it my "issue") is one that is probably mild compared to some people's and more than one heart doc has told me "exercise is fine" and have given me no restrictions...except they said if I notice some activity excites it to "not do that". Well, generally speaking, the activities that make my hear rate go crazy (we are talking quick beat to beat increase of 160bpm during cardio to 250bpm or so and then I have to stop, cough, hold breath, bear down, cough, relax, etc...within a minute it goes back to recovery rate of 120 or so) is cardio where I am above 170 for too long or when I change my body position quickly in a state of high exercise heart rate (example, squat thrusting in the middle of a cardio routine....FORGET THAT CRAP). Adrenaline also sparks it...so I have to be carefeul not get overly angry or emotional...if I get REALLY REALLY worked up, my heart rate is volatile at that point. So now that you have a little better understanding...

I want to know if anyone has tried any cardio workout franchises (tae bo, 30 day shred, insanity, whatever)....that incorporates some intervals, some muscle building, good calorie burning and good muscle strengthening and body sculpting result type workouts...that do not incorporate a lot of QUICK, SUDDEN changes of movements (like squat thrusts and being low and then JUMPING HIGH). I want an effective cardio/strengthening workout that is going to help me get better results than a tredmill or elliptical or standard cardio video but will allow me to manage my issue through modifications. Do you think I could do insanity or P90X if I just judge the moves according to what I know my limitations are and modify accordingly, or will they be worth buying and doing if I have to modify the moves a bit? Would there be TOO many moves to modify to make is worth my trying...

Don't worry about my health here. I am very self aware and careful with my working out and I keep constant eyes on my heart rate in a workout. I can feel what is too much...and I just back off and modify and this has prevented "sparking" the issue very well. And as far as talking to my doctor, been there, done that. And I'm "cleared" to do "whatever". Sometimes docs are just SO helpful :angry:

Thanks. Hope this wasn't too crazy.

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    And as far as talking to my doctor, been there, done that. And I'm "cleared" to do "whatever". Sometimes docs are just SO helpful :angry:

Not sure what we can help with beyond that sentence right there. Also not sure why you don't find the docs medical clearance to be helpful. Anyhoo, if you're looking for high intensity workouts that don't cause spikes in heart rate you're barking up the wrong tree. That's more or less the defining characteristic of HIIT workouts and what makes them effective. Just do steady state cardio if it makes you feel more comfortable.
  • Spresto2
    Spresto2 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I was told to avoid activities that "spark" it, pretty common sense, so I do. I can do HIIT, but it has to be a little less of a SHOOT up to a high intensity and more of a quick climb...for example...if I am jogging and want to do a sprint...I can...but instead if BLASTING into the sprint...I slowly increase my speed over 10 seconds. Does that make sense? And I am trying to communicate that yes, there are definitely some moves that I know, from experience, will spark it...squat thrust and huge jumping from a low position. Positional moves...ya see what I mean? I am looking for HIIT and muscle building routines that I can modify a bit to cut out a few of the quick position changes and also ones where I can "ease" into the higher impact moves...it's like my heart needs time to go "OH, we're upping the pace here, ok...got it".
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    True muscle building routines would probably fit your parameters along with steady state. I wouldn't even bother trying to find a HIIT program at this point. People have been getting in amazing shape for decades with that combination.
  • Spresto2
    Options
    I do find the medical clearance to be helpful. What I do not find to be helpful is the lack of guidance beyond, "just don't do the things that makes it do it". I know this probably does sound stupid...but what I am trying to say...is I need to challenge myself, and yes I can do HIIT, but it may be something nobody can help me figure out. I might just have to buy the stupid videos and see for myself. I was just hoping to get some thought on the matter before doing so.
  • Spresto2
    Options
    Hmmm, ok...can I tell you one more thing? See what you think. I have done a lot of cardio in my lifetime, never much muscle building...so you think just by simply adding in some rather serious and well planned muscle time, I can get to a new level? I just want to lose the rest of my weight and not be soft. Maybe you are right? Maybe HIIT isn't the end all. I just thought maybe it was a good bang for the workout time buck.
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Hi Spresto,

I have been really impressed by the 4 x 4 High Intensity Cardio program that has been developed by CERG/NTNU. I have been incorporating the principles of the program into RPM classes that I do and also my non-RPM cardio workouts in conjunction with my heart rate monitor.
    The other great thing about the program is that I have found that NTNU have an email service and their medical graduates answer email regarding the training program and they do so fairly quickly.
    Check it out - it could be for you.
    http://www.ntnu.edu/cerg/advice
    kind regards

Ben
  • Spresto2
    Options
    Hi Spresto,

I have been really impressed by the 4 x 4 High Intensity Cardio program that has been developed by CERG/NTNU. I have been incorporating the principles of the program into RPM classes that I do and also my non-RPM cardio workouts in conjunction with my heart rate monitor.
    The other great thing about the program is that I have found that NTNU have an email service and their medical graduates answer email regarding the training program and they do so fairly quickly.
    kind regards

Ben

Ben, THANKS. That info is actually much MORE than I expected. I will most definitely be checking into this. THANKS SO VERY MUCH!
  • Squirrely_Girl
    Options
    I have an arrhythmia as well. My heart rate doesn't go as high as yours but it's scary enough at what it does get to. Try Turbo Jam or other forms of kickboxing. It's a great high intensity workout without too much jarring up and down. And there is a person there for modification if something is too strenuous. Good luck!
  • Squirrely_Girl
    Options
    Yes. Definitely incorporate weight lifting into your routine!
  • Spresto2
    Options
    Squirrly, sorry to hear about your "issue". It totally sucks, but as one doc told me, we all have "something". I guess. But. I love turbo jam actually. I used to do it and maybe I will look into it again. It's interesting...we have similar barriers and we tend to like the same style of working out. I also like tae bo for the reason that you get good intervals, can pace yourself according to bpm and you do get some extra muscle work above and beyond treadmills/ellipticals. I may just go back to "the basics" and see what's new with Billy Banks and TurboJam. Thanks for your input and best wishes to your health and wellness. Yes, these things are scary. I wish we could figure out why we had them for real and get them gone.
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Hi Spresto,

kind regards

Ben

Ben, THANKS. That info is actually much MORE than I expected. I will most definitely be checking into this. THANKS SO VERY MUCH!

You are welcome, Spresto.
    Do let me know how you go with it - I would be very interested to know about your experience.
    kind regards,

Ben
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    i have an 'issue' too. 'cept mine skips & pauses rather than speeding.

weights are a lot better than cardio, for me.

my bigger pain in the butt is that i can't use a HRM, because they think they're losing contact all the time.