That Annoying Mid Section Fat....

Options
I sorta forgot I made an account here haha.
Anyway I've started working out again since College did a number on my weight. Anyway I'm at week 7 and I've lost about 11-12 pounds. I feel I've toned up well on my arms and legs, but I just can't shake off that unwanted fat in my midsection.

I work out everyday with a routine:
at noon
30 minute Cardio
33 push ups holding the last for 10 seconds.
2 minute planks (increasing 10 seconds every week)
x2 25 rep dumbbell lifts on each arm.
and 3 minutes of ice climbers

and at night
I do 25 push ups holding the last for 10 seconds
a minute and 10 seconds of side planks (increasing 10 seconds every week)
x2 25 rep dumbbell lifts on each arm.

I don't feel much strain on my body, though if I do I take a day's worth of rest.
My calorie deficit is about 550-650, I've been getting 70-80 grams of protein a day
and I've been doing well keeping away from sugary foods, and foods that contain trans/sat fat.
Though I do snack on a subway sub frequently, and maybe it's the bread that's making me feel bloated at times?

Anyway. will this workout work for me or should I change it up?
Also realistically how long does it take to lose that fat in your midsection? How long did it take you?
Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Replies

• wnbrice
    wnbrice Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    cant spot reduce

Only thing you can do is lose weight everywhere, eventually the gut will go away.

Mid section body fat is some of the most stubborn.

Good luck
  • v6s30
    v6s30 Posts: 43
    Options
    I'm afraid that where you store your fat is due to your genetics.

I am a healthy weight.... my collar bones stick out, the ribs above my chest show, but I have big hips and annoying rolls of fat on my stomach when I sit down.
  • tawanda6329
    tawanda6329 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Cut out wheat/gluten in your diet & you'll see the inches come off really quickly.
  • scottsteele333
    Options
    I Just read an interesting article on StrongandDedicated.com about getting ripped using methods that old school bodybuilders used before steroids were invented. Definately worth a look
  • owieprone
    owieprone Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with tawanda.

i'm have a 'bread baby' too and the only way i get rid of it is to cut out wheat and reduce carbs and simple man-added sugars (i.e. all or some of pasta, rice, tatties, bread, sweets, anything high in sugars that it wasn't born with). I"m also intolerant of wheat but not gluten.

i can not change anything else in my diet but cut out wheat and my belly disappears.

carbs/sugars from veg and fruit don't cause my belly to expand.

look up diabetic, vegetarian and low carb recipes on line (there are tons to choose from), from oopsie/cloud bread, cauliflower rice, celeriac and swede mash or chips instead of potatoes. it takes a bit of getting used to and some trial and error but it's totally worth the effort of finding alternatives and your diet (as in what you eat for the rest of your life, not diet as in the atkins, cambridge, cabbage varieties) will be far more diverse and satisfying. You don't have to cut out your favourite foods, just eat them less, smaller portions and savour them instead of heading straight for them.

man might be an omnivore but we've only been eating farmed grains for a very short timespan in our guts evolutionary history, we haven't evolved to use it properly and it gets turned straight into fat. Fat we need in our diets, but fats from proper sources like animals and plants (bacon, olives, etc etc). Fat converted from other substances like grains aren't nutrtionally the correct source for our bodies. Our bodies are designed to easily get to the nutrients in natural fats and meats, they struggle to get the same nutrients from grains in the correct amounts. Reduce that and up your protein, veg and fruit intake (be careful which fruit and veg as some are very high in sugar, don't dismiss them, just eat in small amounts), and pulses (again be careful which you eat in large doses). YOu'll soon see results.

you don't have to eat less, just eat better.
  • Brad805
    Brad805 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Look to the diet grasshopper. You can lose it, but you might not like the nutrition plan much.
  • iliketorun9
    Options
    I know about spot reduction not working, but just wondering how long it usually takes to lose that fat in that area. I'd rather not lose any more weight as I'm comfortable at my current weight and I'd rather not lose weight in other places, but you can't chose to lose weight in areas which just sucks haha.
  • Nov3mberMistt
    Nov3mberMistt Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    i know people say "spot reduction doesn't work" but I've also heard that if you work your core muscles more it helps the fat come away from the midsection, or at the very least tones it. google some good core muscle workouts and see if that helps. :)
  • tomhrvy
    tomhrvy Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    All I keep hearing is abs are made in the kitchen. We all have ab muscles but they are hidden that layer of fat. Even if you have built up incredible muscles they will still be hidden behind that fat. Reduce your bf% for 10-12% for men and I think 15-20% for women to reveal what's underneath! I'm working my way there now and think I'm about 15%. To shift that last bit you really ha e to watch your Carb/fat/protein balance
  • Fitmom120811
    Fitmom120811 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Where are these nutrition plans?
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Cut out wheat/gluten in your diet & you'll see the inches come off really quickly.

:huh:
  • asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    i have no evidence that spot reduction works

however I do pilates for my core and my mid section has been getting more toned
    as I lose weight everywhere my tum is starting to look and feel better

:) have fun - pick and excercise activity that you like and enjoy yourself
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    i know people say "spot reduction doesn't work" but I've also heard that if you work your core muscles more it helps the fat come away from the midsection, or at the very least tones it. google some good core muscle workouts and see if that helps. :)

No, that's not how it works. A person can "build" abs muscle up so they may be more visible through the fat, but core exercises don't do anything to lower the amount of fat in the area. Good for core strength, very little for reducing BF%.

You can do 10,000 planks a day, but if your body has fat on other places of the body to lose fat from first, it probably will.

Moderate caloric deficit + work (cardio and compound lifting) + Patience = results. You could get there with 1 and 3, but would probably be happier if all 3 aspects are incorporated.

OP, since you say you don't want to lose any more weight, it sounds like you're probably looking at a re-comp. Eating very close to maintenance, but progressing through a heavy lifting program.

The reason many individuals see "the inches come off" when they cut carbs is because they are A) Going into a caloric deficit by cutting a certain food group or B) They're losing water weight from the glycogen stores becoming depleted. Usually whenever the food is incorporated back into the diet the water weight comes right back.
  • Nov3mberMistt
    Nov3mberMistt Posts: 25 Member
    Options

No, that's not how it works. A person can "build" abs muscle up so they may be more visible through the fat, but core exercises don't do anything to lower the amount of fat in the area. Good for core strength, very little for reducing BF%.

You can do 10,000 planks a day, but if your body has fat on other places of the body to lose fat from first, it probably will.
    That's.. kind of what I said. "At the very least, tones it." if your midsection/abs aren't very good, or aren't toned, you're going to be flabby in the midsection whether you have fat to lose or not.
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options

That's.. kind of what I said. "At the very least, tones it." if your midsection/abs aren't very good, or aren't toned, you're going to be flabby in the midsection whether you have fat to lose or not.

You can not tone fat though, What you tone will just be hidden, it could even increase ab size if someone was superman/woman and added muscle to the area.

I have always been told you lose fat in the reverse that you got it, so for myself I see it leave my belly first because it is the last place that stored it, for me boobs, butt and thighs are where I first put weight on.

The OP could like suggested work with a lifting program, and work on body composition, This can reduce her body fat% while maintaining her weight.
  • kristenveganvixen
    kristenveganvixen Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Crunches, obliques, leg lifts and making the rowing machine part of your cardio are supposed to all be good for abs :)
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options

:huh:

Yeah I don't get this either. If someone is allergic or intolerant to wheat/gluten then fine. If they aren't well then this advice is just silly..
  • Tanya949
    Tanya949 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I have lost 35 lb so far. I've lost fat from my face, neck, shoulders, butt, hips, waist, thighs, abdomen and chest. The fat has not moved from my arms, back or calves yet. I'm just doing full body strength training and endurance cardio, not spot training. When I finally lose most of my fat, those areas will eventually go too.