390 calories for yoga/pilates/tai chi!?

Options
I went to a class at my gym tonight called Body Balance which incorporates yoga, pilates and tai chi into one class. The gym's site says approximately how many calories each class burns (however I do know it'll change depending on each persons weight, and effort). This one had 390, does this seem a bit much for you? Even 300 seems to be pushing it..

I don't mind all too much, it's just frustrating because I have no idea what to put into my exercise log :l

Replies

• kelsierose094
    kelsierose094 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Oh and I am trying to invest in a calorie tracker, but I just need to find the time/money first! (Student, here!)
  • medavidcook
    medavidcook Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Have a look here

http://www.fitclick.com/calories_burned?Workout_Programs_Videos&cc=969&page=2

change your wait and put the time in then the exercise class and it sould bring it up and then at bottom will have calories based on above.

Hope this helps
  • DancingDreams1234
    Options
    Depending on those factors, as well as the amount you pushed yourself. I would estimate roughly 230-300. I heard we actually tend to over estimate how many calories we burn from exercise.
  • emma7437
    emma7437 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I did a body balance class yesterday and forgot to wear my HRM but logged 100 calories. I have worn my HRM for body pump and burn around 260 each time, which is significantly lower than what they claim on their website. I am reasonably fit and work really hard during the class, if this helps at all.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    depending on how much gentle exercise to challenging, I would estimate nearer 200 max.

Put it this way, if you log 200 and you actually burned 300, you will have eaten back two thirds of your exercise calories and still be in deficit for losing weight.
  • kelsierose094
    kelsierose094 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Thank guys! Geez they really overestimated! haha
  • eowynmn
    eowynmn Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    If it helps, I've done that exact same class, and I did it several times at about 260 lbs and my heart rate moniter only ever had me burning 200 calories at most, which is what I burn in pretty much a normal hour - so nope, no way you are burning 300+ Sorry!