I think I'm skinnier than I actually am...

Replies

• NicholeRobb
    NicholeRobb Posts: 166 Member
    When I look in the mirror I know I'm big but don't think I look all that bad. Until as someone else said...candids lol. I hate having my picture taken & will delete any I see that r not flattering at first chance lol. So most of my pics r face shots. I am however considering for just this site...taking "before" pics to share. I have seen so many & they r so inspiring. Plus I think if I can see the progression for myself (especially in those awful full body shots), it will help keep me as well as others motivated to continue this seemingly impossible journey. When I started a wk ago my goal was to lose 120. At my first weigh in today I lost almost 4lbs & over 3in...so I'm feelin pretty good about it :)
  • Jennyisbusy
    Jennyisbusy Posts: 1,294 Member
    When I was a small I though t I was huge, when I was big I thought I was 'ok' = I no longer trust my own opinion. :/
  • jenny95662
    jenny95662 Posts: 997 Member
    i do too i see pics and go omg thats not how i saw myself in the mirror
  • That happens to me quite often. For me I think part of it stems from the fact that I used to be much more fit and have muscle under my fat. I also gain weight more evenly on my body than other people I see who weigh the same. In fact people who weigh the same as me (I'm 5'3 barely and 168 lbs) can even wear bigger sizes than me. So some of it is in my head, denial that it has gotten this bad, but some of it is also partially based in reality. Don't worry too much about it is what I would say to myself, try to be as fit as I can.
  • peasantgirly
    peasantgirly Posts: 173 Member
    When I look in the mirror I know I'm big but don't think I look all that bad. Until as someone else said...candids lol. I hate having my picture taken & will delete any I see that r not flattering at first chance lol. So most of my pics r face shots. I am however considering for just this site...taking "before" pics to share. I have seen so many & they r so inspiring. Plus I think if I can see the progression for myself (especially in those awful full body shots), it will help keep me as well as others motivated to continue this seemingly impossible journey. When I started a wk ago my goal was to lose 120. At my first weigh in today I lost almost 4lbs & over 3in...so I'm feelin pretty good about it :)

You should totally take the "before" pics. No one ever has to see them if you don't want them to, but if you DON'T take them you might regret it.
  • Mdin1029
    Mdin1029 Posts: 456 Member
    I used to look in the mirror at workout classes and wonder what was wrong with the mirrors in there! I also always thought pictures that I looked bigger in were just at a bad angle, and of course the dryer kept shrinking my clothes!
  • natika33
    natika33 Posts: 154 Member
    I also have mirror understanding troubles. Some days I think I'm fat and some days I think I'm skinny. Now I rely on my measuring tapes to let me know where I'm at. As many others have also said, photos seem to give a better picture - especially if you're standing next to someone you know is both skinny and healthy!

Good luck!
  • thin150
    thin150 Posts: 48 Member
    Same here I am 175lbs standing at 5'7 and I look at myself and damn i look good haha my body has natural curves and my porpotion are good. But when I am around my skinny friends I feel so huge! So I have made a mental note to never compare myself to anyone! That is what I live by my body is different and beautiful in its own way!
  • JulieH3art
    JulieH3art Posts: 293 Member
    I really don't trust my own opinion of how big/small I look. I can't possibly be objective when I look at myself. I also think pictures lie... like they're some other person, detached from me.
  • Maystar80
    Maystar80 Posts: 85 Member
    i feel ya. as someone else said, it's only when I see photos of myself that I think, that fat has got to go! Surprisingly it's always my face that looks too fat in photos and that makes me want to lose weight. And my arms are so thick they make me look a bit manly in pics, but it's not fat thick, its muscle thick, i'm top heavy.
  • I guess it all depends on your body type, for instance I am almost 60 kg but everyone seems to assume that I am in the early 40s.
  • WilmaDennis91
    WilmaDennis91 Posts: 433 Member
    I've been constantly like that in college. I was always thinking 24/7 about how I look. It's so frustrating.
  • missybct
    missybct Posts: 321 Member
    I don't trust my perception of how I look at all anymore.

I started at 5ft 6 and 297lbs - I was definitely in denial about how big I was and blamed a multitude of reasons for why I had nearly hit 300lbs.

I lost about 50lbs - then I started to appreciate my body a bit more, felt good, walked around with a bit of confidence etc. Still felt fat, still was fat.

I'm at 82lbs lost now. Last week I was convinced I owned it, and this week I feel about as heavy as I did when I started. I alternate between thinking "Yep, you've got this" and "Hell no, you've got so far to go".

Clinically I'm obese still. I'm in a size 16/18 UK and although I'm reasonably fit, I feel like I'm going nowhere. It could be because this week I've plateaued for the first time - I appear to have lost nothing at all this week. I've stayed within my calorie range although my macro's have been skewered but I know the choices I've made haven't been great based on the sheer complexity of the last week.

----

I go through moments where I think I'm smaller than I am. I also go through moments where I pick up a size 22 and think it will be too small. Basically, I have absolutely no middle ground :ohwell:
  • pauliie1986
    pauliie1986 Posts: 15 Member
    I know I do! I always picture myself as a size 10 or 12 (Australian sizing) and when I think about the future, I see myself as the same size 10-12. However, the reality is that I'm not. And as I have put on weight over the years, I haven't changed how I felt or saw myself. I think that is why I have gotten as big and heavy as I have. Even now, I know I'm overweight and need to do something about it, but I still don't see myself as that big.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,449 Member
    For some reason, I've always found that my home mirror is more forgiving! I think a lot of people find that. I tend to look bigger in changing room mirrors than at home.
  • mammamaurer
    mammamaurer Posts: 418 Member
    daily i *feel* 135 but i look much much more
  • kelsierose094
    kelsierose094 Posts: 232 Member
    I'm the exact opposite, but in the the same boat. I'm actually underweight, but don't see it at all in the mirror. Sometimes on my bad days I even think I can afford to lose a bit more (I'm not anorexic, don't worry!). Then in photos I suddenly look a bit boney and tiny, and it doesn't look good :\
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Does anybody else experience this? When I look in the mirror (at 5'4" and 230) I am *obviously* overweight. I don't know anyone in their right mind who would say otherwise.

However....I don't seem to "see" myself as that big. Am I deluding myself? Am I in denial?

I know of thin women who look in the mirror and think they are bigger than they actually are, but I don't know of anyone else who does the opposite!

Maybe it's because I've been overweight for so long, it just feels normal now, I don't know....

Anybody else?
    honestly, yes.
  • 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,863 Member
    I certainly had that problem. I saw myself as ok. Not slim but nowhere near as big as my 192lbs at 5ft 0ins.

I went shopping with OH one day and caught sight of myself in a window. I just wanted to hide. That couldn't be me could it? It was. I know in photographs I looked bigger, but the camara adds 10lbs so I thought I looked ok.

From that day I knew I had to do something about it. I couldn't hide myself away. I joined MFP and never looked back.

I now think I am bigger than I am. On holiday OH said to me 'You are one of the slimmest here'. I couldn't believe it. I am buying small in clothes but think they should be medium. Soooo, what is happening to us?
  • idabentley
    idabentley Posts: 59 Member
    The way I am shocked to the reality of my size is through photographs xx