Under Active Thyroid?

Options
I was just diagnosed with a under active thyroid. It isn't hugely under active but enough so they put me on a low dose of thyroid medication. I was just wondering if they will allow me to lose weight? I know the weight wont fall off, I still have to work hard and eat right, but I was doing that before and the weight wasn't dropping, not even water weight! Those of you who have this problem and were put on medications, did you see a difference in your weight when working out and eating right? I have read from forum posts where people say they gained weight! I am just confused.... thanks in advance for you feedback!

Replies

• ynf80
    ynf80 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hey ya. I have been on my meds for coming up to a year now. They have gradually increased my meds every time I have a blood test as my levels are always so high.

I have had periods where my body responds well to the meds and the weight very slowly comes off but for the majority its not been shifting.

I having done much research and have come to the conclusion that its one of those diseases that even if you have the same symptoms and blood results as someone lese you ill have very different results on thyroxin :(

But eat right and exercise more, stay positive and it will eventually come off.
  • Dlacenere
    Dlacenere Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Yes, when your levels come back to normal it will be easier. I disagree with the other post, exercising more is not necessarily good for the thyroid - eat right and exercise moderately - start lifting weights - extreme cardio stresses the thyroid, suppresses T3 even more and can make it worse. Make sure your doc tests T3 free and T4 free as TSH is not the best indicator. Go to www.stopthethyroidmadness.com for the right labs and great info.
  • Kushy8
    Kushy8 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Hey, I have hypothyroidism, too. It may be harder to lose the weight, I'm not really sure. I have never made such an effort to lose weight as I am now. I can say this: I've lost approximately 7 pounds in just over a month, and I'm not doing anything to excess. I eat back my exercise calories most days. I've even exceeded my calories a few times. I do exercise daily. I just record everything (food AND exercise) and mostly stick to the MFP way of doing things. I find it works and is very sustainable.

I'm on here every day. Always looking to motivate others and be motivated myself. Feel free to add me! Best wishes on your journey!