This is why I don't like scales

Options
Stepped on the scale...It said I was at 198. 3 factors that probably played into this: 1) I've had A LOT of sodium lately, 2) TOM, and 3) I lift. A lot. So to this scale, I say: **** YOU. I'm 2 sizes smaller at 198 than I was at 194 so I'm not gonna let it get to me. I'm a size 12. At 194, I was a 14/16. So there. Stupid scale. This is why I avoid you.

Hypothetically speaking, can a person weigh the same weight as they did before (like say, 198 for example) and just lose pure body fat?

Replies

• 2horsestoride
    2horsestoride Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I don't know for a fact, but I'm guessing this must be the case as I'm the same height as you, 5' 4", weigh 147 and wear a size 12. I know there are many different body types, but for you to weigh 50 lbs more than I do and wear the same size makes me believe that muscle has to play into it. I do exercise every day, but I focus on cardio vs lifting.
  • kassiebby1124
    kassiebby1124 Posts: 927 Member
    Options
    I don't know for a fact, but I'm guessing this must be the case as I'm the same height as you, 5' 4", weigh 147 and wear a size 12. I know there are many different body types, but for you to weigh 50 lbs more than I do and wear the same size makes me believe that muscle has to play into it. I do exercise every day, but I focus on cardio vs lifting.
    I mean, I'm an "apple" shape I suppose. But I don't do much cardio other than biking.
  • 2horsestoride
    2horsestoride Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I think I would characterize myself as an apple, too. :) How you look and feel is much more important than a "number." You go!
  • sc10985
    sc10985 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I just saw a post where a woman was heavy lifting and weighed something like 2lbs more than her starting weight but looked completely different. I think that's pretty common
  • kassiebby1124
    Options
    I just saw a post where a woman was heavy lifting and weighed something like 2lbs more than her starting weight but looked completely different. I think that's pretty common
    I've definitely seen that at lower weights (like 140s for example) but I'm curious if I could stay at 198 but be like, 3 sizes smaller
  • gabrielleomurphy
    Options
    I am going to the gym lately. My weigh has stopped going down and i tough i hitted a ''plateau'' BUT my fat % went down for about 4%! (impedence tested)

It's important to mesure yourself (ie, i lost 2 inches of hips mesurement but didn't lost a pound on the scale).

For motivation, I like to take a picture of me in bikini each week. That way, I see the progression.
    Plus, remember to weigh yourself only 1 time a week, on the same scale, early in the morning before eating or drinking and ideally... nude! ;)

PLUS, i had a meeting with a nutritionist that was telling me to eat more and better trough the days (ie: be sure to eat enough proteins, fibers,etc) .
    IMPORTANT: drink a chocolate milk (or soy milk) after training it helps regenerate muscles. >
    Counting calories is one thing but eating well is more important.

DON'T GIVE UP!
  • freelancejouster
    freelancejouster Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I've seen so many pictures of women who've gone down several sizes but weigh either the same or a bit more than before. Weight means very little when getting fit.
  • kassiebby1124
    Options
    Thanks! I just try not to weigh. I measure and go by how my clothes fit
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    it's called a body recomp. Good work!!!
  • Inshape13
    Inshape13 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I went from a size 9 down to a size 5 and there is only a 4lb loss since I started lifting. I lift 3-4 days a week and do cardio or run for 6 days a week. For a while it was getting to me with the scale, but I was continuously losing a lot of inches.
  • kassiebby1124
    Options
    I went from a size 9 down to a size 5 and there is only a 4lb loss since I started lifting. I lift 3-4 days a week and do cardio or run for 6 days a week. For a while it was getting to me with the scale, but I was continuously losing a lot of inches.
    That's awesome
  • bullygirl979
    bullygirl979 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    If you are lifting weights, it is totally possible to weigh more than you did before and lose body fat. I weigh more than I did 6 weeks ago but I lost an inch around my waist and 1% of body fat. I lift 4 days a week and do another 2 of cardio.

I hate scales too. I would honestly take measurements bi-weekly/monthly and go by that. I go to my gym every six weeks to get my body fat % tested and they take measurements of my chest, waist, navel area, hips, thighs, arms and calves. I go by that. I RARELY step on the scale because it can be disheartening when it looks like you haven't lost weight. I also take pics once a month in my bikini so I can compare the pics from month to month.
  • kassiebby1124
    Options
    Thanks <3
  • southerndream24
    southerndream24 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Don't get discouraged. The scale is not always the best indicator. Remember that muscle weighs more than fat and takes up a lot less room too. Go by how you look because so many things can throw off the number on the scale.
  • bunbunzee44
    bunbunzee44 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I lost 3.5% of body fat while maintaining the exact weight :) just forget the scale!
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I weigh, measure and take photos.Yep. A little OCD going on here. :smile:

I find that it helps me to see progress on the tape measure on those times when the scale is being stubborn.

I also use a scale that measures body fat/lean mass. I know it's not terribly accurate, but it does give me a decent overall idea of where I am.
  • gigglybeth
    gigglybeth Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I totally agree. I haven't lost any significant amount since probably last fall. Maybe 6 pounds. But I sew a little bit and because of that I've got my measurements for years. Since November, I've gone from an 18 to a loose 14.

A few years ago I lost a bunch of weight and was less then I am now, but wore a bigger size. I thought maybe it was just vanity sizing, but I have a couple of shirts from back then that were more like goal clothes (I could get them on, but they were tight). Those shirts now fit perfectly.
  • vealcalf2000
    Options
    I don't want to ditch my scale all together but am definitely moving towards measuring my progress through other means. The biggest problem with my scale is if you move it even 1/2 inch it gives you a different number! I weighed myself at 198 at one spot yesterday, moved it 2 inches over, re-weighed myself and was at 194! Obviously my scale is terribly inaccurate BUT overall I have seen my numbers go down over the months so I'll continue to use it for that purpose but think I'll limit myself to once every two weeks and not move the darn thing! On a more accurate note, I'm noticing waist definition and I can pull my jeans out of the dryer and comfortably put them on with no muffin top. For me this is the best indicator of my overall weight loss numbers be damned! LOL!!!
  • meg516
    meg516 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    i have definitely heard of that before! I haven't lost any weight in a long time but my clothes are fitting smaller. I'm hoping it's just because I'm building muscle! Have you taken measurements using a tape measure as well?
  • litlstar
    litlstar Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I needed to read this, thanks.... That's all I'm gonna say about that =)