Weight Loss & Hair Loss!?!

Options
For the past couple of months I felt like I was losing more hair than usual. I thought my hair was thinning but just sort of told myself it was my imagination. Yesterday it became very clear to me that my hair has thinned out drastically. I was doing some reading online that thinning hair is quite common for those who have lost a significant amount of weight. From what I am reading your hair follicles go into a resting state and begin to fall out but that it passes and will begin to grow back in. I have read various suggestions such a protein, zinc, biotin... and plan to head to the store to pick up those things and am going to make a doctor's appointment. I do take a multivitamin already. Anyone have any experience with this? How long did it last? Did your hair grow back in as thick as before? I've always had thick, long hair so it has me rather upset and was curious if others have had similar experiences.

Replies

• jackieg218
    jackieg218 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I have noticed the same thing, I was thinking mine may very well be from menopause because I was surgically induced into it about the same time I started to diet. I get gobs of protein thinking that would help, but I still see the clogged drain after my shower. When I had my hair cut the last time, I mentioned it to my stylist and she said my hair and scalp were in great condition.... So I dunno, but I feel your pain! I am just thankful I had way thick hair to start with! Lol
  • honeymoonmamma
    Options
    When I was a teen my diet was terrible and I began losing a significant amount of hair. When I went to the doctor it became clear my diet was to blame. Essentially I was starving myself. Are you eating enough? Is your diet balanced? If not, make sure your eating enough protein, veggies, and fruits. If the answer is yes, I would definitely seek out your physician.

Great job on losing 75 lbs!
  • kazsjourney
    kazsjourney Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Hair loss can also be a symptom of PCOS i would go see a doctor.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    I had significant hair loss too, but more so from stress. My stress is gone now. Also, I WAS losing all my weight during this time, but eating extremely healthy & clean. (I am not a stress eater) My hairdresser was the one that noticed the hair thinning....which sent me to the dr for plenty of blood work. My bloodwork came back 100% perfect. The dr told me the shedding of hair would go in cycles and didn't do anything different. After talking with my hairdresser, I decided to check out a good multi-vitamin and went to GNC. GNC recommended "Women's Hair, Skin & Nails Formula" vitamin. I take 2 every night along with my calcium vitamin.

Happy to say after 45 days of taking these vitamins, I have new hair growth. My hairdresser pointed out to me the new hair strands (there's LOTS!). AND I have much less shedding in the shower, too! So If I were you, I would go purchase the vitamins. (the 120 caplets are cheaper than the 60 ct.)
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Hair can fall out when you aren't eating enough. Make sure you aren't consuming too few calories.
  • morticia16
    morticia16 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    See if your diet is balanced, healthy foods - that too is essential for healthy hair. Perhaps you could open up your diary to see if people could help out with suggestions. But I would also recommend consulting your doctor if the problem is grave.
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I was going to repeat what a couple others have said...look at your diet and see if you are eating enough. Also, when I was on Weight Watchers, others on the boards there have posted the same problems and people had said that not enough healthy fat may cause it, which just goes to not eating enough. I agree though, to ask your doctor also to make sure nothing else is wrong.
  • bethany41h
    bethany41h Posts: 218
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions! I do know I am not consuming enough healthy fats because my HDL is low so I have increased fish oil and flax. I do eat very clean... lean protein, lots of fruits and veggies. I will try to open up my diary.. I already thought I had it open but I will see what I can do! I do only do about a 1200-1400 calorie diet so that could be it as well. But I feel full and don't feel hungry. I actually see my stylist tomorrow and making an appointment with the doctor. Just glad to know I am not the only one!! Thanks all!
  • spiffymacadamia
    spiffymacadamia Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It also sounds like it might be related to a thyroid problem, perhaps hypothyroidism? Have you been feeling more tired, less hungry, frequently cold, have dry skin, and weak nails, etc? I agree with kazsjourney, you should mention this to your doctor.
  • ecdce
    ecdce Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I've had hair loss related to stress before. In fact, during college, I would shed two or three times as much hair as normal when finalsrolled around. it was scary to shampoo and end up with literal fistfuls of hair. And its normal to shed more hair in the summer, beginning in the late spring and peaking late summer. But there are loads of reasons that your hair may be thinning. You may want to schedule a visit with a dermatologist rather than your general practitioner.

One thing to do is check if your hair is breaking or shedding. Because they're two very different problems.
  • linsey0689
    linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    No and I hope I don't either this really scares me.
  • kristarablue2
    kristarablue2 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Lost lots of hair with the first 90 pounds, I began eating more calories and a better diet and it started growing back, very slowly. Make sure you eat enough calories and take vitamins.
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    It happens to most people that have the gastric bypass. Get some biotin supplements and take those. It is supposed to help. From what I have read, yes it does come back.
  • ngyoung
    ngyoung Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Several people report hairloss when they lose weight. Its one of your bodies ways of protesting you changing your diet and activity. When things stabilize you should see it recover. Your hormones are fluctuating more when you are changing what you put in your body.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,683 Member
    Options
    Extreme deficits usually cause hair loss.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • SummerNights32
    SummerNights32 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I tried the "Phentermine" diet...I lost weight...and hair! I am one of the few who kept the weight off and had no other side effects. But let's be honest, I would rather lose weight slowly and have hair, then use pills to lose it more quicky and be bald. The hair loss is from extreme diets is most cases.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    It's another downfall of weight loss they don't tell you about especially if you have the hirutism of PCOS. I found that what helped reverse the loss was adding fat back in, getting adequate protein, and taking a biotin supplement. You could also look at rogaine for women that helps keep it from falling out.

Also please check with your doctor as hair loss can be a symptom of many things.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I had hair loss from stress (8 months ago). And it was falling out in large clumps and when I would wake up in the morning my pillow would be covered in lost hair. It was very upsetting. Way way more than normal hair loss. It lasted for a month. I did pay extra close attention to having a good diet (I was not even eating at a deficit when it happened), and increased my iron (even though I was not even close to being anemic). My doctor said it was the stress. I was experiencing an extreme stress that triggered my PTSD. Anyway, it stopped and is growing back in quickly and thick. Luckily my hair is thick enough that it was only noticeable to me and people that know me really well (and the hair dresser because it was falling out when I was there). I manage my stress much better now. I guess it was a wake-up call for me to really make sure I manage the stress well (even though it's understandably tough).

You should have your iron checked and your hormones. Your doctor will help you.
  • JRSchumaker
    JRSchumaker Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    The last time someone asked, the general consensus seemed to be that it's *probably* a lack of proper fat or protein consumption because of caloric deficit, but it could also be other very serious things, and it's worth talking to a doctor to rule those out.