Over the gym?

Options
Has anyone ever just hit a slump, like you're completely over your gym?

I go to the gym on the base, so it's free, which is more than fine. It's not very far from my house either, so I don't think that's it. I usually go on the way home from work.

About 6 weeks ago, I signed up(and paid a decent amount) for one of those outdoor fitness bootcamp classes to kind of mix it up, and that class pretty much sucked and now I am in more of a slump.

I don't really do good with at home workouts, I slack off lol

Has anyone ever gone through this?

Have any suggestions?

Replies

• tleighs64
    tleighs64 Posts: 12
    Options
    I paid for a membership 18 months ago. It was on my way home from work. I didn't have to cross traffic to get there, so I had absolutely no excuses not to go. I get off work at 3:30 in the afternoon, so I was going at a time when the place wasn't crowded, which was nice. I also paid for personal training sessions to make sure I was using the machines correctly and get advice on free weight exercises. I wanted to make sure I had the proper form so I would not hurt myself. I went faithfully every day Monday-Friday. I alternated what kinds of cardio & strength training I did. After about 3 months, the place started filling up. Another gym down the street closed and all of their members joined my gym. Now I have to wait 20 + minutes to use a treadmill, bike or the weights. I got disgusted and gave up. I bought some dumbells and use them at home. My apartment has a fitness center with bikes and treadmills and I use those. I am not exercising as frequently as I once did, but I am getting back into the swing of things.
  • fjrandol
    fjrandol Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    What was it about the boot camp that didn't work for you?

You should consider getting a personal trainer, so the workouts will be tailored to your needs. A nice round of heavy lifting can help you bust through any plateaus, and (for me at least) having an appointment increases the likelihood of actually showing up to work out.
  • lauraeisenman1
    lauraeisenman1 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hey! I recently had this happen... I had gotten into a rut of doing the same cardio/weight lifting routine and was losing interest, fast. What worked for me was finding a new lifting routine (I love www.womenshealthmag.com) and trying a new form of cardio. If your gym has a Stair Master or rowing machine, give them a try to mix up the usual treadmill or elliptical. Investing in a couple new pieces of workout gear or a new pair of shoes might spark your interest again.

Best of luck!
    -Laura
  • velix
    velix Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I am there right now. I went for almost 2 years full force (4-6x a week, 1-3hrs a day). I lost 68 lbs. It was fantastic. Life happened. I didn't go to the gym for about 6 months (put 25 lbs back on) - when I went back, the management and staff had a complete overhaul - and I hate to admit it - but after going to that gym for almost 10 years (some years I just "paid" others I actually went lol) - I am over it. I don't enjoy the vibe anymore, I've tried other gyms but they don't live up to my 'memory' of when it was great.

Also, I have been doing a lot of obstacle course races over the last year and feel meh about training at the gym, but also struggle with working out in the great outdoors (mostly because I live in a big city, so its urban running, etc). So ya - I am over the gym and haven't made the transition into being "into" something else that makes me want to get up and train my *kitten* off every day. Haven't found what that is yet..... good luck to you and hope you find your groove again =)
  • bullygirl979
    bullygirl979 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I've definitely gone through this where I just get bored doing the same old, same old.

When I hit this, I find something new to try. Some have been hits and some have been misses. I also did an outdoor bootcamp class and was just blah about it. Why not pick something else new to try? i.e. running, spinning, New Rules of Lifting for Women, etc. If I have a goal to work towards, I usually do better as well. For example, I decided I wanted to run a particular 5k (I wasn't a runner at the time) so I signed up and then started Couch to 5K.

Hope this helps some!
  • gigglybeth
    gigglybeth Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Maybe you need a goal? Like signing up for a 5K (even if you just walk it) or some other physical event. Or maybe you just need to shake up your workout every few weeks. Or maybe the gym isn't for you and you need something different like hiking or running on the beach or boxing or dancing or something else.
  • gigglybeth
    gigglybeth Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I've definitely gone through this where I just get bored doing the same old, same old.

When I hit this, I find something new to try. Some have been hits and some have been misses. I also did an outdoor bootcamp class and was just blah about it. Why not pick something else new to try? i.e. running, spinning, New Rules of Lifting for Women, etc. If I have a goal to work towards, I usually do better as well. For example, I decided I wanted to run a particular 5k (I wasn't a runner at the time) so I signed up and then started Couch to 5K.

Hope this helps some!

Haha! GMTA!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    instead of just going to the gym, why don't you try training for something? like a spartan race, or tough mudder?
  • Lisamb757
    Lisamb757 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    That's how my gym is. I work 9-5 so I go at 515, I guess everyone else does too. It wasn't so bad last year and also I swear they do not put the air conditioning on in there! The other day it was 93 inside and only 80 outside. Maybe that's part of my problem too.
    I paid for a membership 18 months ago. It was on my way home from work. I didn't have to cross traffic to get there, so I had absolutely no excuses not to go. I get off work at 3:30 in the afternoon, so I was going at a time when the place wasn't crowded, which was nice. I also paid for personal training sessions to make sure I was using the machines correctly and get advice on free weight exercises. I wanted to make sure I had the proper form so I would not hurt myself. I went faithfully every day Monday-Friday. I alternated what kinds of cardio & strength training I did. After about 3 months, the place started filling up. Another gym down the street closed and all of their members joined my gym. Now I have to wait 20 + minutes to use a treadmill, bike or the weights. I got disgusted and gave up. I bought some dumbells and use them at home. My apartment has a fitness center with bikes and treadmills and I use those. I am not exercising as frequently as I once did, but I am getting back into the swing of things.
  • Lisamb757
    Options
    What was it about the boot camp that didn't work for you?

You should consider getting a personal trainer, so the workouts will be tailored to your needs. A nice round of heavy lifting can help you bust through any plateaus, and (for me at least) having an appointment increases the likelihood of actually showing up to work out.

It was only days per week, and it was always getting cancelled due to rain and when the teacher would schedule make ups, he wouldn't show! I think the unprofessionalism is what ruined it for me, and with signing up, they said they wold take before/after measurements, and give meal plans, that didn't happen too! Blah
  • Lisamb757
    Options
    I am there right now. I went for almost 2 years full force (4-6x a week, 1-3hrs a day). I lost 68 lbs. It was fantastic. Life happened. I didn't go to the gym for about 6 months (put 25 lbs back on) - when I went back, the management and staff had a complete overhaul - and I hate to admit it - but after going to that gym for almost 10 years (some years I just "paid" others I actually went lol) - I am over it. I don't enjoy the vibe anymore, I've tried other gyms but they don't live up to my 'memory' of when it was great.

Also, I have been doing a lot of obstacle course races over the last year and feel meh about training at the gym, but also struggle with working out in the great outdoors (mostly because I live in a big city, so its urban running, etc). So ya - I am over the gym and haven't made the transition into being "into" something else that makes me want to get up and train my *kitten* off every day. Haven't found what that is yet..... good luck to you and hope you find your groove again =)

Yup, I've been going for almost two years. I feel like a new gym would be good. Idk.
  • Lisamb757
    Options
    instead of just going to the gym, why don't you try training for something? like a spartan race, or tough mudder?

There's been some of those in my area already this year, I'll have to see if any more are coming. What type of things do you do to train for these?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Make some new goals and switch up your routine
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

There's been some of those in my area already this year, I'll have to see if any more are coming. What type of things do you do to train for these?

you work out
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Suck it up and go work out. If you want to mix it up then do so, but don't allow yourself to make excuses.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm in a slump right now. Heat? Newness wore off? Kid's home from school all day? Not losing as fast anymore less motivating? Mental block? Confused by all the MFP knowledge paralyzed me? Onlookers comments finally getting to me? IDK. All I know is I'm in a slump and coffee's not perking me up yet. Inside I want to be all skinny and b!tchen but outside my arms and legs are all "Yeah, whatevs".
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    The most successful people continue to do things that benefit them and their goals even when they're not easy, fun or they've become boring.

My thought though is why do you workout in the first place? Do you actually enjoy training or is to just lose weight/not gain weight? Finding something you genuinely enjoy doing and also realizing that not everything that's good for you is fun or exciting all the time will probably help you not get burnt out.
  • bonniecarbs
    bonniecarbs Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Suck it up and go work out. If you want to mix it up then do so, but don't allow yourself to make excuses.

This is pretty much my way of living now with practically everything. It makes sense cause everything is really not roses for us.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Yes, the gym bored the living daylights out of me after a while, so I stopped going. I didn't stop exercising though. I just switched it up for long outdoor walks and runs and workout DVDs at home. It doesn't matter where or when you workout as long as you find something that you can stick with. Good luck!
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    It's okay to take a week or two completely off from going to the gym. Use that time to find other things you like to do. But you have to be disciplined enough to get back to it when the time comes, or you're going to find yourself gaining back weight you already lost, and that blows.

I agree with those who are suggesting that you set a goal and train for it. Some weeks, I love getting in the gym and lifting. Other weeks, I'd rather just take a nap. But there's one thing I want really, really badly, and that is to reach a certain body fat % and be fully satisfied with the way I look. I can and will "suck it up" for that, for as long as it takes. And when I get there, I'll set a new goal.