PB2 powdered peanut butter

Options
honsi
honsi Posts: 210 Member
I've just ordered peanut butter powder and the chocolate version as well - its peanut butter with 85% of the fat removed and you mix the powder with water to rehydrate it or add it directly to recipes.
Has anyone tried this and what do you use it for? the reviews look really good and I'm hoping it lives up to the hype since it probably costs more than gold..

http://www.bellplantation.com/

Replies

• MissSusieQ
    MissSusieQ Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's that great mixed with water to make actual peanut paste, and I made a terrible satay sauce with it - you don't realize how much you need the oiliness for things like that! but.. I love it in my morning smoothie with vanilla or choc protein powder, apple or berries
  • honsi
    Options
    So its better to use as a powder then? I like the idea of using it in a smoothie
  • husker_gal
    husker_gal Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I would say it is better as a powder. I sprinkle it on apple slices and mix it in with chia pudding and oatmeal. I haven't had it long though so I haven't tried many recipes.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    IN for the nutrition info. and more successful uses of it. I hear it a lot on my newsfeeds.
  • Sugarbutt45
    Sugarbutt45 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It's excellent! I put both in my protein shakes! Walmart now carries it a lot cheaper!
  • MRChandler24
    MRChandler24 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been using for about a year now and LOVE it! Have tried it mixed with water, and it's ok, but nothing like real pb. But fantastic in shakes! You need to give it a try.
  • LisaDec1969
    LisaDec1969 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    It's excellent! I put both in my protein shakes! Walmart now carries it a lot cheaper!

Walmart in Canada or the States ?
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I put it in my banana smoothie every morning. Makes me feel like Elvis.

I enjoy having chocolate and dipping it in PB2 on occasion. It feels decadent. I am still a JIF addict, but trying to let go of that. For me, the jif thing is a texture thing. I actually like the taste of PB2 better, but the feel of JIF better.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's that great mixed with water to make actual peanut paste, and I made a terrible satay sauce with it - you don't realize how much you need the oiliness for things like that! but.. I love it in my morning smoothie with vanilla or choc protein powder, apple or berries

Thank you. I was going to buy it for sandwiches and stuff. You saved me 8 bucks.
  • CWrens
    CWrens Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have not used it but just recently heard of it. A website, emilybites.com, uses it in her PB2 smoothies. I had been wondering what it was ever since. I didn't know Walmart carried it. Will have to check it out!
  • RiannonC
    RiannonC Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I put it in my oatmeal, and it's really good and filling. It has become one of my staples.
  • F1TCH1K
    F1TCH1K Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I have tried to get it but Whole Foods is ALWAYS out and I refuse to pay the mark up and shipping online. I bought Better'n Peanuts the other day which I read is similar to PB2 but it's already mixed. It's a defatted peanut butter (also 85% less fat and only 100 calories per 2 TBSP) and costs less than PB2 (at only 3.99 @ Whole Foods). It is NOT exactly like peanut butter so be forwarned, but neither is PB2. I mix it in w/plain greek yogurt to dip my apples and since I'm using the same amount but less calories I can deal w/the difference in taste.

Bumping for more reviews on PB2.
  • oldandhealthier
    oldandhealthier Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Like everyone says its great in smoothies but as far as sandwichs:noway:
  • kingtermite
    kingtermite Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    It's not bad. It's not very sweet by itself, so you need to put it in with something that's already sweetened or you need to sweeten it to bring out the peanut butter taste.

I use it by throwing a frozen banana, a few cups of unsweetened almond milk (blue diamond), some PB2 and some stevia (liquid extract from Trader Joes) in the Vitamix. Makes a great peanut butter/banana shake.

My wife would use it to sprinkle on her toast (along with real peanut butter, lol).
  • WilBSkinee
    WilBSkinee Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I just bought it at Walmart for a little over $5. Have not tried it yet, but bumping for some more recipes! Cant wait to put it in a smoothie!
  • zornig
    zornig Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I agree that as reconstituted paste it's pretty awful. For a PB flavoring its pretty good. Like everyone else, I add it to smoothies, or more often, just mix it into plain greek yogurt.
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I love PB2! I use it in my every morning in my smoothies. The only other thing I've done is mix it with a bit of organic coconut oil, and use it as a spread on my english muffins. It tastes pretty damn good to me!!
  • JustPeachy044
    JustPeachy044 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I buy a one pound package at Hyvee for about $16. A small savings.

I laughed when I read their recipes for PB2 cookies. You add oil and sugar. Please, just use regular pb in that case, I say.

I'm with the others, not great reconstituted straight up but great in smoothies. I like the flavor and protein boost without the fat. Not that the fat is bad in itself, but it allows me to enjoy PB flavor more often than I otherwise would.
  • honsi
    Options
    I'm in the UK so I have to order it online. No walmart etc.
    I'm looking forward to trying this in my smoothies.
  • Equina
    Equina Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I love PB2!. I rehydrate it with unsweetened almond milk. Adds very little to the calorie content but makes it a bit creamier. I make PB2 and J' s all the time. I use reduced sugar jelly. Not as good as peanut butter but I like it and the calorie savings is well worth it for me!
    I put a dollop of chocolate PB2 in between banana slicse and freeze it for a quick breakfast/snack...delightful and low cal.
    I love it in smoothies....makes a good thai peanut sauce,
    pb2, frozen banana and a blender can be a quick ice cream sub as well....