Sugar addiction and lack of control

Options
freesoul
freesoul Posts: 24 Member
So, uhm, yeah, as the title says...

The moment I start restricting- I go for a day or two and then binge. No self control. I will have two candy bars, an ice cream and a third of a trifle in the same day. That kind of thing.

I tried cutting out sugar and eating diet (artificially sweetened) treats only, as someone told me that the sugar cravings would go away if I didn't eat sugar. I tried NO JUNK at all but being labelled a health nut and staring at friends and family eating stuff I can't have especially on special occasions, is not for me.

I don't want to give up on treats completely, I just wish I could have just one once in a while...to be able to say no... to eat real food instead of replacing it with junk...to not feel so out of control!

Tips? how did you guys do it?

Replies

• lyndausvi
    lyndausvi Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I doubt I will be much help. I've only been here for 28 days. Prior to starting this journey we walked to DQ a few times a week for blizzards, always had cookies, cakes whatever in the house. The first week the only sweets I had was 1 cup of chocolate milk in the morning. the 2nd week I didn't have any. Nor did I crave any really. Even walked to DQ with DH and didn't order anything. 3rd week I introduced some trail mix with dark chocolate chips. Last week we went out to dinner with a client and I shared a dessert and didn't feel guilty at all.

At this point I'm just not bringing that kind of stuff in the house. I'm just not ready yet. Instead I would make some sort of fruit smoothies, eat whole fruit or trail mix. Some people can do sugar in moderation, others it's all or nothing. I'm in the middle. I needed to restrict myself at first then slowly start re-introducing stuff. DH's birthday is next week I will definitely be eating cake and ice cream.
  • AlyBelden
    AlyBelden Posts: 45
    Options
    I try not to keep sugary stuff in the house, that helps me a lot. I have 3 young kids, so the chances of me loading everyone in the car to go fulfill a sweet craving are slim to none (it's a hassle, and I'd have to buy something for the kids, too, lol). It took a while, but I feel like I have control over my excessive sugar habit now. I still occasionally overindulge, especially if it's in my house from a birthday party or something, but 80-90% of the time I am really good and it's easy, even the candy in the checkout line at the grocery store isn't tempting anymore.
  • SummerLovesPhil
    SummerLovesPhil Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    There's a lot going on in your post. (For example, what is it about being labeled a health nut that bothers you?) But here's an answer to the sugar question.

Visualization helps me a lot, if only to put some time between me and a Snickers bar. Here's one you can use. Think about what happens to a car when you pour sugar in the gas tank. Visualize it. Imagine the sound of the engine when it tries to turn over, the smell of the burning sugar, the anger at finding out what happened, and the bill for the repair. Sit with all this for a minute, then imagine that's what happens when you fill your body's "tank" with sugar.

Best of luck!
  • blackbikini50
    blackbikini50 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I can't control myself after a week of no chocolate! I always crave sweet treats, and struggle saying no to cake.
    However I have stopped putting sugar in my tea, coffee. I don't drink fruit juice unless its freshly squeezed and I try and use honey as a substitute for whenever I need a sweetner!

I loose control with emotions and stress. I will walk into the kitchen and finish half a tub of peanut butter and then regret it almost instantly!
  • glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I like the more gradual approach. For example if you're used to having a big bowl of ice cream every day, then start by cutting out 1 day a week or perhaps every other day and then as time passes decreasing further.. I don't think going cold turkey is a thing that many people can do successfully in the long term.
  • owieprone
    owieprone Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    i feel your pain, i have NO self control and an addictive personality (i am addicted to exercise! as well as eating, binge eater :( fml)

don't cut out the things you crave, get BETTER versions of it.

crisps, have redsky or similar (anything with just tattie, and proper salt and vinegar, no additives) get a big bag and put into 20g bags so you don't eat the whole thing in one go.

have homemade popcorn instead (youtube how to make it yourself if you don't know), bit of flavoured oil and some salt and bobs your uncle 20-50g bags of that.

proper nice chocolate with at least 70% cocoa, break into squares, and have 2 in a bag/tupperware.

unflavoured almonds, walnuts and hazelnuts, 30g in wee tupperware boxes

dried fruit (mango and dates are my fave) 20g in tupperware

then you have good portions to take to work, or have as a snack.

savour each bit! take your time don't hoover it up, pay attention to what you are eating and you'll enjoy it more, if you're not enjoyig it STOP EATING!!!

paying attention stops me from wanting more as i've satisfied the 'itch'.

have a blow out course (of a 1-3 course meal) once or twice a month (not in the same week). for instance, have a healthy starter and main then have a fudge cake for afters.
    or have a takeaway main course with trimmings and no starter or afters.

offset what you eat, if you pig out on one day you can make up for it the rest of the week, the body doesn't know what 'day' it is and you should work your eating regime to weeks rather than days,

and don't weight yourself every day, once a week or less is fine otherwise you'll stress over putting weight on after being at the gym! or enjoy losing weight on a particularly hot day when you've just lost water through sweat.

be realistic, you know what your vices are,work around them and use them as your treats. work for it!
  • freesoul
    freesoul Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Yes, I think that the problem is, I'm taking too much of a "cold turkey" approach...I am used to eating ANYTHING I want, its a wonder I'm not 300 lbs, I've clocked in at 3,000 cals a day but then I used to be very active in sports, which I now don't have time or energy for...and I didn't change my way of eating, old habits die hard.

Maybe I will cut to one treat a day and make sure to count the calories, then one evry other day, and maybe gradually to one "cheat" day a week or something like that...I don't know if I have self control for that though :(
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    1. Try a little bit (a square or two) of very dark chocolate as a treat, maybe once a day. I find I can have a little bit of this, whereas milk chocolate makes me want the whole bar.

2. I have heard that eating fake sugar/no cal sugar sub's doesn't help you get over sugar cravings. Some have suggested it makes them worse then cutting sweets entirely. I've never been fond of those, so I can't say from personal experience but you might try cutting those out as well for a while and see how you feel.

The other thing could be to limit yourself to something really good once a week, instead of mediocre stuff all the time. When I first started cutting out cokes, I said to myself 'I can have one on Friday'. So I had one a week for a while until I didn't want them at all. I have used this method cutting down on other things too. There is something about knowing you only have to wait a few days, that it isn't restricted forever, that is helpful to me. YMMV.
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I have a huge sweet tooth. Completely eliminating sweets from my diet and banning them from my house always resulted in failure in the past - it was too restrictive and not sustainable for me, and ultimately I'd just end up sneaking around and buying them when I was out and about. Now I just work a treat or two into my planned meals every day. I eat dessert every evening at the very least. I make sure I hit all my macro targets for the day first, but if I have "spare" calories, why not fill them with something I love? I've found that planning my treats makes me obsess over them far less. I KNOW I will have ice cream or cookies or cake or whatever today, so I don't think about it as a "forbidden fruit" anymore. It's just a normal part of eating, and life.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

Several years of practice at portion control, weighing and measuring, and enjoying treats in moderation. We've all used different "tricks" to get there but the real trick is to keep trying and not to give up.
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options

Several years of practice at portion control, weighing and measuring, and enjoying treats in moderation. We've all used different "tricks" to get there but the real trick is to keep trying and not to give up.

Definitely the real trick is not to give up!!
  • 2stepscloser
    2stepscloser Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I'm the exact same way! Therefore, I've opted to just not have many. I've found that if I don't eat many sweets, the cravings stop, but when I do I totally over indulge. This past week at work we had miniature chocolates so I had one mini Reese's cup, which eventually led to 3 more and 4 mini Hershey's over the course of the rest of the day. I counted all calories though. With that being said...if I opt to have sweets, it's usually a skinny cow ice cream sandwich which is already portioned.
  • dmlussier
    dmlussier Posts: 1
    Options
    hello there.... i just started this program..... I see you are accomplishing weight loss.... May i inquire as to how you are doing this? Is it strictly by using this app? and if yes for how long have you been doing this. Does it get easier? My sugar intake was at a minus yesterday and i did not even eat any sweets.... Is there a way to look why certain numbers are in red at a minus? Sorry for all the questions...
  • N8r8r
    N8r8r Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    So, uhm, yeah, as the title says...

The moment I start restricting- I go for a day or two and then binge. No self control. I will have two candy bars, an ice cream and a third of a trifle in the same day. That kind of thing.

I tried cutting out sugar and eating diet (artificially sweetened) treats only, as someone told me that the sugar cravings would go away if I didn't eat sugar. I tried NO JUNK at all but being labelled a health nut and staring at friends and family eating stuff I can't have especially on special occasions, is not for me.

I don't want to give up on treats completely, I just wish I could have just one once in a while...to be able to say no... to eat real food instead of replacing it with junk...to not feel so out of control!

Well, to start out with I can see that part of the issue is that you're cutting out things all together all at once. That sends your body into a craving...hence the binge and the feeling of a loss of control. Have you tried cutting back rather than cutting out altogether? Addiction to sweets is just like any other addiction. You take away your "fix" you're going to be having a fit. Try getting "fun sized" or "bite sized" candy bars instead of "Kind sized".

I came across a good article written by Sue Thoms regarding food cravings. According to her sources, food cravings typically last only three minutes. Many binges are caused by outside stress or boredom leading to overeating. What I, and others would recommend is that when you're feeling stressed or bored, rather than reach for some Lays or a Snickers, go for a walk or do something active to take your mind off of food.

Link to original article: http://www.mlive.com/health/index.ssf/2012/01/how_long_does_a_typical_food_c.html
  • N8r8r
    Options

Concise and to the point. Thumbs up to you, sir :drinker:

What it boils down to is the quality of your calories going in, and exercise helping to keep your metabolism going strong.
  • N8r8r
    Options
    hello there.... i just started this program..... I see you are accomplishing weight loss.... May i inquire as to how you are doing this? Is it strictly by using this app? and if yes for how long have you been doing this. Does it get easier? My sugar intake was at a minus yesterday and i did not even eat any sweets.... Is there a way to look why certain numbers are in red at a minus? Sorry for all the questions...

The app is just a tool, it's a food journal to track your calories. I've been using it for approximately 3 months so far, and most of my success thus far has been from watching my calories and changing the types/quality of what I eat. Less heavily processed, highly salted junk food, more fresh fruits and veggies and whole grains. There's a million different ways to "lose" weight, but what they all boil down to, more or less, is diet and exercise. True success comes from changing your mindset, not from strictly using the app. You have to want to change your old habits.

It's a long road, and you may trip and fall a few times, but don't let that discourage you. If you fall off the path, brush yourself off and get right back on it again. Remember, weight loss is a journey, not a quick fix.

Good luck to you, I know you can do it.
  • scookiemonster
    scookiemonster Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I think one of your problems is that you're eating things with artificial sweeteners instead of just having a little bit of the real thing. I find it much more satisfying to have a small amount of the good stuff than a large amount of fake crap. Additionally, I think that artificial sweeteners may sometimes hurt your efforts to avoid sweet cravings rather than help it. They are less satisfying, but still trigger your desire for sweetness. There seems to be some controversy about whether or not artificial sweeteners actually increase sugar cravings rather than stifle them, and I've yet to see anything conclusive on either side, which means that, while there's not necessarily proof that they will make your cravings worse, there's enough of a possibility that I'd be careful about using them as a tool to deter your sugar cravings.

Personally, I stick mostly with natural sugars, like fruit, and keep plenty of that in the house for when I want something sweet. I also keep bars of really good, high quality chocolate (not hersheys, the really good stuff), and break off a square whenever I really just need the real thing. I eat it slowly and savor it and rewrap the rest of the bar and put it away. I let myself have a treat - something really worthwhile like a fresh bakery cookie or a cupcake - every once in a while, but I make sure it's the really good stuff, rather than sitting down with a bag of oreos. It may take a while to get used to doing this, but over time you'll get there.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Sugary foods are definitely triggers for me, too, but I don't want to totally abstain either. My solution is to stick with healthy foods during the week and plan for a "treat" meal and a sweet "treat" on the weekends. I deliberately set my calories a bit lower during the week so I can eat a few more calories on the weekend. When I find myself craving something during the week, I make a mental note of it and plan to have it on the weekends. I also focus on choosing things I really, really want for my treats instead of just mindlessly eating things that are not amazing just because other people are eating them. I don't use my "treats" on things like crappy store-bought cookies or fast food -- I save them for foods that really taste good to me. When I do eat treats, I pay attention and truly savor them so I enjoy the experience instead of shoveling them down in a mindless binge.
  • Zombella
    Zombella Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I have an extreme sweet tooth. I realized that I cannot keep certain foods in my home, such as ice cream, because I would just finish the carton in like 2-3 days. Something like that is something that should be limited maybe to when you go out. Also, I make these healthy blueberry muffins to eat when I am craving something sweet.

I say buy fruits to keep for when you have a sugar craving. I even have green tea in the fridge for when I get a craving for sugar.