Trying to Conceive - Want to lose as much wt as I can before

Options
Want to lose as much wt as I can before I find out I'm pregnant and have to stop losing!
Anyone else in the same boat?

Replies

• decemberg
    Options
    Yup! I am 29 turning 30 next month and getting serious about starting a family. I have struggled with my weight since I graduated high school. I am trying to lose as much as I can before we start "trying" to have a baby...which is very soon. I am down about 16lbs so far!
  • adcoursey
    Options
    not in the same boat, but just because you become pregnant doesn't mean you have to stop losing weight, PROVIDED THE FOLLOWING APPLY:
    1. your doctor approves, and together you discuss/follow a carefully modified diet plan
    2. your weight could endanger the health of you and/or your baby
    3. you don't try to lose more than a reasonable amount of weight

on the flip side, having a few extra pounds when you get pregnant means you have less to gain. :)
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    That's not WHY I'm losing weight, as I'm a single 24-year-old, but it is a perk I look forward to in the future. And the hope of future conception IS why I quit smoking last year.
  • Izzys_mom
    Izzys_mom Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I was overwieght (still am) with both of my daughters and I lost weight with both of them because I was eating healthier. If only I could have kept it up.
  • kendra1976
    kendra1976 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I will be there very soon. I am getting my Mirena IUD out next Friday. I am currently 34 and will be 35 in April. I would like to continue losing weight, but I am not getting any older. ;)

I am talking with my OB about a weight management plan during pregnancy though.
  • AlisaToth
    AlisaToth Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I am right there with ya! I have 9lbs to go until pre-preggo weight from my almost 5year old and then come January we're going to start TTC.

There is a great forum on here of other ladies who are trying to lose weight before they start TTC or are currently TTC while actively trying to lose weight. Here is the link!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/107503-fit-for-future-families
  • manda_socal
    Options
    I'm 32 and have lost 36lbs (27 of which since I joined MFP) and my husband and I are trying to conceive. For the past several months I get sad when I find out I'm not pregnant, but then I look on the bright side that I can keep loosing some more weight! I noticed this post is from August, so maybe by now you are pregnant, all the best to you!
  • AmandaR910
    Options
    I'm losing (baby) weight to TTC. It's still about 6 months off for us though. :smile:
  • misty75
    misty75 Posts: 7
    Options
    I'm 35, 5'2 and 291lbs. My husband and I started our diet/exercise program in January this year in order to be able to conceive a child. I've had irregular cycles since puberty probably due to weight. Having not gotten pregnant after a year of marriage last year, I went to a doctor. She said that if I could just lose at least 20 pounds, I'd have a much better chance of getting pregnant as well as regulating my cycles. Well, having been on our diet for about a 1 1/2 months, have seen very little progress with cycles, but some. I've lost about 19 pounds so far (2 lbs under my goal). So needless to say a little disappointed in the pogress so far. I know every body is different with weight loss/gain, but I'm hoping my doc was right. I'm hoping another few pounds and we can start to see more progress and may even get pregnant.
  • danielleeeee
    Options
    I am in a similar boat! Six years ago I had a tenis-ball sized cyst removed from my right ovary. At that time, my family doctor and my GYN both through around the possibility of PCOS, but no further investigation was done. Last June, after 13 months trying to conceive, I was finally pregnant. I had an early ultrasound at 7.5 weeks for dating purposes and got to see the baby's hear beat. Two weeks later I found out that the baby was still measuring the same as the first ultrasound and there was no longer a heart beat. I had a d&c at the end of July, and though I have had (reasonably) regular cycles since then, they seem to have been annovulatory (no ovulation = no chance of a baby). I got a referal for a new OB/GYN in December and was supposed to have my first appointment today. It was cancelled, however, and now I don't get to see her for a whole month! The only bonus is that it will give me an opportunity to lose a couple more pounds before the first appointment so that she knows that I'm serious. I am really anxious to get some blood work done though, and some more investigation to be sure that PCOS is actually the problem.

AND to boot, my brother and his girlfriend accidentally conceived about two weeks after my husband and I, and they are expecting their baby any day now. I am excited to meet my niece and I know I will just love her, but man has it been difficult watching her pregnancy progress as mine *should* have!

Anyway, please anyone in a similar boat please feel free to add me!
  • misty75
    misty75 Posts: 7
    Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss. I will keep you in my prayers for success!
  • Daisy_May
    Daisy_May Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    My fiancé and I were TTC for about 3 months, when nothing happened( I know I know three months isn't long) I figured it probably had a lot to do with my weight. SO we stopped actively TTC until after our wedding in July by which point I'm hoping to be down 60 lbs. I'm not going back on birth control but I'm not charting or keeping close track of my cycle.