Why eat the extra calories you burn?

Options
So I am new at this so I need some clarification here. MFP has mine set for 1200 calories, which I am usually able to do. Yesterday I burned a little over 500, and ate 42 of those. So in total, 1242 was my intake. I feel guilty for those additional 42 calories.

Why does MFP set you to eat the calories that you burn? To me this makes no sense at all. If I am still hungry and need to eat something additional, it does allow me those extra calories. My point is, I am burning calories to lose weight, I am not burning them to re-eat them. Can someone tell me if my thinking is correct or not? If not, please provide me clarification.

Replies

• mostlypaleo
    Options
    I don't usually eat off everything I burn but I do find that I feel fatigued if I don't replenish some of what I exercised off. Don't feel guilty about eating additional calories as 1200 is usually not enough to keep you energized and/or healthy if you are exercising.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    MFP works out how how many calories you burn in a day according the information you entered (age, weight, height, activity level, etc.). It then subtracts 500 calories a day for every pound a week you set it to lose (if you set it to lose 1/2 pound a week it will subtract 250 calories, for instance). That's your goal UNLESS that calculation gives a number under 1200, in which case your goal will be 1200 (because MFP sets that as a minimum.

Suppose you burn 1700 calories before exercise. You've set MFP to lose 1lb a week, so MFP subtracts 500 calories. Your goal is 1200. (1700 - 500 = 1200). Suppose you then do 200 calories of exercise. Instead of the 1700 calories you burn without exercise, you've now burnt 1900 calories. To keep the same deficit of 500 calories a day, your goal is now 1400 (1900 - 500 = 1400).

That's the way MFP is designed to work. If you eat back your exercise calories, you should have steady weight loss.

If you don't eat back your exercise calories you can end up with a bigger deficit than you intended (which will make the diet harder to stick to, amongst other things).
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Actually, if you ate 1242 but burned 500, then your NET intake was 742, which is WAY TOO LOW! Eat those exercise calories!
  • aqua_zumba_fan
    Options
    1200 is a low calorie intake and you really shouldn't go below that as a net amount. You'll lose weight eating 1200 and if you eat back burned calories your net amount is still 1200. I always eat back all my exercise calories and net 1200 and have been losing weight consistently that way. You need at least 1200 to function properly. Just try to eat healthy calories and especially protein to repair muscle after working out - you'll see that when you add a workout your protein goal increases as well as your calorie goal so if you don't eat back the calories you're also likely not eating enough protein.
    Hope that makes some sense. Of course people have different opinions on here but that's mine and it's worked for me :)
    Also sometimes I work with weekly calories rather than daily and can save some calories from exercise that way to have a treat at the weekend or for a special day (this is easy to do if you have the phone app.)
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Idk, I never do!
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    MFP works out how how many calories you burn in a day according the information you entered (age, weight, height, activity level, etc.). It then subtracts 500 calories a day for every pound a week you set it to lose (if you set it to lose 1/2 pound a week it will subtract 250 calories, for instance). That's your goal UNLESS that calculation gives a number under 1200, in which case your goal will be 1200 (because MFP sets that as a minimum.

Suppose you burn 1700 calories before exercise. You've set MFP to lose 1lb a week, so MFP subtracts 500 calories. Your goal is 1200. (1700 - 500 = 1200). Suppose you then do 200 calories of exercise. Instead of the 1700 calories you burn without exercise, you've now burnt 1900 calories. To keep the same deficit of 500 calories a day, your goal is now 1400 (1900 - 500 = 1400).

That's the way MFP is designed to work. If you eat back your exercise calories, you should have steady weight loss.

If you don't eat back your exercise calories you can end up with a bigger deficit than you intended (which will make the diet harder to stick to, amongst other things).

/end thread
  • GCLyds
    GCLyds Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    You dont have to eat them all back but you should eat some back, or you are going to feel weak, tired and *****y, and then you are going to binge hard core. I ate most of mine back, and I got to goal weight.

However if you only exercise like once a week its not a big deal. If you work out everyday, you will burn out.
  • Stargrace2
    Stargrace2 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    My point is, I am burning calories to lose weight

You're not burning calories to lose weight. You're eating at a deficit to lose weight. You're exercising to not look horrible once the weight is off, and to try to keep some of your muscles from melting away during the process and to work on your metabolism.

You need a calorie deficit of -500 from your maintenance to lose weight at a healthy 1 lb a week. There are two ways you can do this calculation. If you figure out your -500 WITHOUT exercise, you would eat those back because it's going to give you an even greater deficit. and guess what, you NEED ENERGY to work out. If you calculate that -500 WITH exercise you would not eat the calories back, because they're already in the equation.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    MFP calculates your estimated needs without exercise, so that you would lose weight if you did not exercise. When you do exercise, you need extra fuel for that.
  • sanndandi
    sanndandi Posts: 300 Member
    Options

Well Said!
  • sunlover89
    sunlover89 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Exercise isn't just to burn calories...
    Exercise makes me feel good
    Exercise balances my hormones
    Exercise makes me fitter
    Exercise makes me stronger
    Exercise encourages me to be a healthier person so I make better choices.

I eat back exercise calories when I'm hungry, I don't eat them back when I'm not
  • ncbeachprincess
    Options
    OK, this all makes sense now! Thanks everyone for your input!
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    So I am new at this so I need some clarification here. MFP has mine set for 1200 calories, which I am usually able to do. Yesterday I burned a little over 500, and ate 42 of those. So in total, 1242 was my intake. I feel guilty for those additional 42 calories.

Why does MFP set you to eat the calories that you burn? To me this makes no sense at all. If I am still hungry and need to eat something additional, it does allow me those extra calories. My point is, I am burning calories to lose weight, I am not burning them to re-eat them. Can someone tell me if my thinking is correct or not? If not, please provide me clarification.

I think your approach is the correct one. In addition, MFP may be estimating too many calories from exercise so if you ate all your exercise calories back you could end up offsetting any benefit from your calorie deficit. If you feel a little hungry, eat a little more. Monitor your weight by weighing at least once a week. See what works.

I think exercise is extremely important but I don't log it because I don't want to be fooled by MFP's numbers. As someone who's not overweight, I don't burn that many calories from exercise anyway. Instead, I focus on calories in my diet. Were I to lose a ridiculous amount of weight without trying -- which has never happened -- I'd eat more.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    1,200 is the bare minimum you should NET -- if you burn 200 calories walking and you don't eat them back, you are netting 1,000. Long term under eating isn't sustainable and it is completely unnecessary.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    If you were doing this on your own, you'd eat fewer calories and do more exercise and that would be the end of it. But MFP already calculated the 'fewer calories' part for you. Your Calorie Goal on your little chart is already set at a calorie deficit of about 500 calories less than you'd probably normally eat. You could do just that, just eat to that calorie goal with no exercise at all, and you'd lose weight. If you then add exercise into it, you get to a point where your calorie intake is actually a bit too low. Whatever your official 'Calorie Goal' is, that's where you want to be at the end of the day, your Net Calories. It's basically like you're just eating at a slightly higher rate and burning those calories away, and ending up at a healthy level. You aren't actually eating anything 'back'.
  • Darby7371
    Darby7371 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You've already had good advice. Regardless, eat at least 1200 calories.

THEN ... if you are trying to GAIN muscle, eat at least 100+ more (high protein). If you don't work to gain muscle, you will simply be small ... but not toned. Also by building muscle your metabolism will increase ... you'll loose more fat, but need more calories to maintain the muscle.

Use mfp calories earned from exercise only as a guideline to eating ENOUGH (1200+100is) and as a guideline of what to stay UNDER to maintain the goal you inputted.

Also, consider going back to the goal setting and change it to reflect your newer activity level.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Actually, if you ate 1242 but burned 500, then your NET intake was 742, which is WAY TOO LOW! Eat those exercise calories!

That's what I was going to say.

Keep in mind that the lower your net intake, the more your metabolism slows down. You don't want to end up with such a slow metabolism that you can only eat about 900 calories per day to maintain your goal weight. That's one reason it is a good plan to only lower your calories a modest amount, just enough to start weight loss. Fat2fitradio.com recommends finding out what your maintenance calories would be at your goal weight and start eating that amount or no more than 100 calories below that right now. By the time you reach goal weight, you will already have the habits necessary to maintain it.

(p.s: my lack of progress is not due to lack of knowledge but lack of consistency; I still eat too much and move too little.)
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Stop. Just stop.

1,200 is the bare minimum you should NET -- if you burn 200 calories walking and you don't eat them back, you are netting 1,000. Long term under eating isn't sustainable and it is completely unnecessary.

It it SAD that you would even think about those 42 calories. I know you are new and am not trying to be a jerk, but you are unknowingly being restrictive.

Exactly why I was questioning the whole formula...I was confused about the Net, etc. And no, it isn't sad in my opinion, it is me not knowing. But in my previous posting, I said "Thanks for the clarification", meaning that I understood how net works, food is fuel for exercise, etc.

I don't think that was directed at you, but at the other poster.
  • Via88
    Via88 Posts: 46
    Options
    Yeah everyone here basically clarified. The way I do it to keep from getting confused is just look at what my calories are are then subtract myself. So if i eat 1200 and workout 200. I will know that I have a net of 1,000..and sometimes I will eat that additional 200 back or sometimes I don't. At that point, I would go with if you are hungry or not.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Stop. Just stop.

It it SAD that you would even think about those 42 calories. I know you are new and am not trying to be a jerk, but you are unknowingly being restrictive.

Exactly why I was questioning the whole formula...I was confused about the Net, etc. And no, it isn't sad in my opinion, it is me not knowing. But in my previous posting, I said "Thanks for the clarification", meaning that I understood how net works, food is fuel for exercise, etc.

I clicked reply and then answered a text, you will see my post was about 3 minutes after you post, I didn't see it. But am glad you got the clarification you needed.

The sad comment is specifically directed to the following:
    So in total, 1242 was my intake. I feel guilty for those additional 42 calories.

GUILT over 42 calories?! :noway: That's not a healthy mindset and is sad. I get it was coming from a lack of understanding, but you'd have to consume about 3,500 OVER the total number of calories you burn through basic body functions like breathing (BMR) and any additional activity to gain a single pound.42 calories isn't ANYTHING in the long run -- it's just sad to me that anyone would have guilt about that.