how to get max protien for muscle gainz without meat

Options
ANDRE_DOE
ANDRE_DOE Posts: 113 Member
Hi Family,
Ive been doing good losing fat/weight the last 4 months in down 25lbs in that time. Using Intermittent fasting 16/8 and with a 1490 calorie intake. But now I want to start building more muscle. I have seen gainz I don't eat meat or chicken and I do drink protein shakes. I don't want to overload my body with the chemicals from the protein shakes. I wanted to know if there are ways to get enough protein for optimum muscle gain while weight training. I do eat fish a lot. Im 5'10 200lbs mesomorph with about 18% body fat.
Thanks for any suggestions.

Replies

• BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, eggs.
  • morticia16
    morticia16 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    prawns, if you eat sea food. just had some with pasta, tomato and basil :)
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    You're not going to make significant gains with those calories regardless of protein intake.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Fish is made out of meat, unless you're eating the eyes and scales or something.

Fish meat is an excellent source of protein, fat, pesticides, and mercury.
  • Mom2Lizzy
    Mom2Lizzy Posts: 23
    Options
    beans, lentils, nuts
  • owieprone
    owieprone Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    google vegetarian meals, such as

http://vegetarian.about.com/od/healthnutrition/tp/protein.htm

this should help. there are loads of veggie and vegan top athletes out there so it is entirely do-able.

also
    http://longevity.about.com/od/lifelongnutrition/a/fish_mercury.htm

be aware of the where the fish you eat come from, FARMED overseas fish are generally very bad, research is the key here. luckily i hate seafood and was even more bolstered in my view when i did marine biology at uni lol. The easiest way to remember it if you know a little about fish, the higher up the food chain the more rubbish it's gained from it's prey (not unlike humans).

off topic slightly, mom2lizzy, i totally misread what you posted "BEARS, lentils and nuts" doh! rotflmao
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    You're not going to make significant gains with those calories regardless of protein intake.

^^ This.

And also, unless you're using some really awful brand of protein powder, I wouldn't be concerned with "toxic chemicals" in your whey protein. I don't fault anyone for wanting to consume more whole foods, but having said that I'm not aware of anything that is cause for concern in most whey proteins. Drink up.

(honestly I'm not aware of any concerns with toxic chemicals even in the cheap stuff....)
  • cmhodge08
    cmhodge08 Posts: 11
    Options
    Yup... plain greek yogurt, eggs (I recommend max of one yolk, and the rest use the white only), cottage cheese... and ON Whey Isolate (sold at Costco, Amazon, etc.) is great! Isolate is better than Concentrate.
  • Warchortle
    Options

^^ This.

And also, unless you're using some really awful brand of protein powder, I wouldn't be concerned with "toxic chemicals" in your whey protein. I don't fault anyone for wanting to consume more whole foods, but having said that I'm not aware of anything that is cause for concern in most whey proteins. Drink up.

(honestly I'm not aware of any concerns with toxic chemicals even in the cheap stuff....)
    Also, people forget the function of skin, the liver, intestines, kidneys, and lungs.. they all aid in detoxing the body naturally without (no offense) any drastic hippie diet.
  • Warchortle
    Options
    Yup... plain greek yogurt, eggs (I recommend max of one yolk, and the rest use the white only), cottage cheese... and ON Whey Isolate (sold at Costco, Amazon, etc.) is great! Isolate is better than Concentrate.
    isolate is not intrinsically better than concentrate.. it's its own thing. Concentrates in general have more bioactive compounds whereas isolate removes pretty much all the dairy component (fat and lactose).
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

^^ This.

^^yep to all of this.

Non-meat sources of protein:

Dairy - milk, greek yoghurt, cheese etc
    eggs (whites are more protein dense)
    seitan,
    tofu and edamame
    quorn
    nutritional yeast
    hemp seeds

also, as you eat fish, shrimp, cod, haddock, tilapia etc
  • ANDRE_DOE
    Options
    THX FOR YOUR INFO
  • ANDRE_DOE
    Options
    Once I get my body fat and weight down a little more I plan on upping my caloric intake I just have to calculate it right. THX FOR YOUR INFO
  • laurelobrien
    laurelobrien Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    dairy, especially eggs and protein-dense yogurts/cheeses! Kefir, cottage cheese, etc
  • ANDRE_DOE
    Options
    THX FOR YOUR INFO I going to learn some more about fish. this is a good start
  • ANDRE_DOE
    Options
    thanks bro I didn't know if too much of it would be harmful in the future for me
  • ANDRE_DOE
    Options
    Thank both of you guys for the your input
  • ANDRE_DOE
    Options
    I read about the the apple juice last year and took my then 4yr old off of it. didnt know about the rice though.