Eating at Local Cajun Restaurant - need help

Options
blisser99
blisser99 Posts: 122 Member
Tonight my daughters and I are going on a mommy/daughter date for girl scouts and we are going to a local cajun restaurant. I can't find nutrition info on it anywhere and I don't know what to order. Does anybody have any experience with cajun food that can help me determine what is a no go and what isn't??

Replies

• brad_brown
    Options
    I don't specifically for Cajun food but when out at an unknown restaurant I tend to stick to things I know of (or can find items similar to on the App).

You may want to see if they have salad(s) with dressing on the side you could get. The other option is they will almost always have some sort of meat product (chicken, pork, etc...) that you could have them prepare without a lot of the side items. With this restaurant being cajun you have a good shot at finding a few nice fish items as well that you can tailor to fit your needs (salmon, tuna, etc...).

When doing this I just look for something similar that IS on the App and log it that way... for instance there is a sports bar by me (not a chain) that has a great double cheeseburger and from the size/consistency of it I log it as a Five Guys cheeseburger in the app which gets me very close to being accurate.
  • TammyS327
    TammyS327 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Stay away from fried and creamy sauces. Salad is always a good option. Grilled gator with a little lemon squeezed over it is wonderful. Steamed or grilled seafood is usually pretty safe but if you want to test the waters or try something new take a look at this site. http://www.dwlz.com/WWinfo/cajun.html
    It is a pretty good list of cajun style foods and their NI.

Most importantly have fun, and enjoy the time with your daughters.
  • grimm1974
    grimm1974 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    See if this site helps:

http://www.dwlz.com/WWinfo/cajun.html
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I am no therapist or doctor but I recommend you stop worrying about it for one meal. Enjoy your life and your dinner with your kid. Eat less tomorrow. Do another lap around the block.

The memory is more important than the few hundred extra calories.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    Calories

One serving of Cajun grilled shrimp -- approximately ¼ lb. of shrimp -- contains 155 calories, according to "The Good Housekeeping Cookbook." Cajun grilled chicken made with boneless, skinless chicken breast provides 78 calories per 1-breast serving, while a blend of Cajun grilled vegetables that include zucchini, bell peppers and tomatoes contains as little as 72 calories per ¾-cup serving.

FROM LIVESTRONG.com
  • LyraVega02
    LyraVega02 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    It can vary so widely by recipe that it's really hard to tell. I can make a 120 calorie blackened redfish, but find another recipe that uses 3/4 lb of butter for 6 fillets. I'd just pick whatever looks the tastiest and have some delicious leftovers tomorrow.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I generally get the grilled fish blackened or spicy, salad no dressing... I don't eat the fresh bread,rice, pasta or potatoes. I eat the boiled or grilled shrimp and I order gumbo or ettoufe ---gasp --- no rice.

Enjoy.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Just try your best to fit it into your calorie goals. The only "no" foods are the ones you are allergic to or that affect an existing medical condition. No one got fat in a day. Go out and enjoy your day with your kid.