New, 122 pounds to lose, vegan, need some advice :)

Hello everyone!
My names Aisha and i'n new here :) I'm 19 and from South Shields, England.
I've been overweight all my life and been on loadsss of diets and weight loss schemes including mend, community weight management(government weight loss program) weight watchers, cabbage soup, milical, slim fast etc.
I know a lot about food nutrition(although it wouldn't look it by a couple of the extreme diets I've been on!) And I decided to become vegan in January for health and ethical reasons but have been struggling to stick with it the past few months but i'm determined!
I try to eat as healthy as possible, lots of fruit and veg, potatoes, beans, brown rice, limited fat etc. But I get really strong cravings for junk food such as crisps of processed foods such as forzen chips, veggie burgers, bread and vegan butters, chocolate :( and end up binging, especially on a night.
So what i really need help with is advice for someone which a HUGE amount of weight to lose, and weight loss tips for vegans! Because people tend to assume vegans are not overweight I haven't really been able to find advice for vegans who need to lose weight! Also i've just finished my first year at uni so advice for sticking to healthy eating at uni and i'm going to Canada the end of August for a year on exchange so any advice for going over there (never been before, don't know what to expect food wise or their culture surrounding food)
Any help will be much appreciated! I realise i am asking a lot of questions here but any help to any of my questions will be much appreciated! Also feel free to add me as a friend :) all my friends and close family are slim so don't really have anyone who properly relates hah!

Replies

• kazsjourney
    kazsjourney Posts: 263 Member
    i have lost 184 pounds feel free to add me...I am not vegan tho. I would recommend checking out this site http://funeralformyfat.tumblr.com she is vegan and close in age to you and has lost about 120 pounds :)
  • ripemango
    ripemango Posts: 534 Member
    just stay within your suggested caloric recommendations via MFP

these sites are great :
    happyherbivore.com & http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/

do a search under groups on MFP for vegan. there are many vegan groups on here!
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    People definitely assume all vegans are thin, which isn't true. It's easy to become overweight when you still have access to carbs and fat, and I read an article recently about how carb binging is a big problem with young vegans/vegetarians.

So, I get it. I think being vegan is a great ground floor for health, though, since you (hopefully) have a love for veggies and fruit. :)

Since you have a long way to go (but it's so within your reach, I promise), I would start small, like getting your macros in order. I wouldn't worry so much about calories as I would about getting enough protein, and limiting ( but not eliminating) your carbohydrates. I don't know what triggers your binging, but it could be some sort of deficit during the day that's causing you to want to eat EVERYthing in site, as calorie dense as possible. Perhaps you aren't eating enough calories or protein during the day?

Or it could be one of the million other reasons people struggle with binging. Have you put any thought into it? Maybe kept a food journal (not just what you're eating, but how you're feeling, your hunger level, and all that?)
  • allshebe
    allshebe Posts: 423 Member
    Perhaps you need to discover within yourself why you binge? Are you bored? Feeling deprived? Depressed? Food triggers? ??? Once you figure out why you binge, it should be possible to make a plan to deal with the "urge". In the mean time, maybe plan some healthier things to "binge" on - like fresh fruit or veggies - make sure they're the most handy thing to grab and try to keep the "bad" bingey stuff entirely out of the house (no food is really "bad", but for now, out of "sight" might be better for the high calorie, relatively low nutrition things that you're craving). Make sure you are eating enough though - meal plans too low in calories are a pretty standard recipe for failure - deprivation is just not sustainable.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    I'm a Vegan and have around another 100 pounds to lose feel free to add me as a friend if you wish
  • aishazi
    aishazi Posts: 25 Member
    q
  • Erikalynne18
    Erikalynne18 Posts: 555 Member
    I am not vegan and I did not have as much weight to lose... but I am from CANADA!! :D

Firstly, where are you going in Canada? The food can vary greatly since it is a very big country! In the bigger areas such as Toronto, there is more variety to reflect the different ethnicities :) However in some smaller or more isolated Northern communities the focus might be more on what they can get locally such as fish and hunted animals (I know this doesn't help you since you are vegan but I doubt you'd be in an isolated area doing an exchange program anyways).

Also I was a student (and will be again in September for my 2nd degree) so I know all about the "freshman fifteen!" lol. My strategy this time around is going to be always to have healthy snacks ready and available in my bag. I found I used to snack between classes sometimes and the quickest thing was the vending machine (since the cafeteria was only in 1 building and the vending machines were everywhere!). So this time around I'll be sure to have things on me to try and avoid the machines as much as possible!!! :) Also I was big on stress eating while studying or when writing papers late at night. Usually at these times I would either visit the vending machines or eat bags of microwavable popcorn (I bought it by the case.... seriously). However THIS time I think I am going to instead buy an airpopper machine and make popcorn at home that way :) It will be a much healthier alternative since I know at exam time it will be near impossible to avoid being stressed!! Also if you have an hour or 2 break between classes, maybe use that time to be active? Go for a walk or to the campus gym (most campuses have them).

Good luck! :)
  • bokchoybaby
    bokchoybaby Posts: 62 Member
    When you were listing off foods you typically eat I didn't see any fatty foods listed. Fat is great for satiety and there are tons of nutrient-dense vegan options: avocado, nuts, seeds and nut/seed butters. It's possible that adding more fat throughout the day will help keep you fuller and stave off binging.

Beyond that I try to build in space in my day for wine and a few squares of chocolate or whiskey or some vegan ice cream so I don't feel deprived. I've also discovered over time which foods I can happily portion out and which I'd devour whole. Things I don't feel like I have control over I don't bring home.
  • Teele86
    Teele86 Posts: 23 Member
    Have you ever looked into raw eating? I was a pretty fit vegetarian that swiched to the lifestyle over summer and I have learned recipes and nutritional information I have incorporated into my normal lifestyle. Its very easy to get stuck in the same cycle when your vegan/vegetarian because it feels like there are less choices. Raw eaters use raw cocoa powder which is packed full of nutrients, a real pick me up and tastes great. Put it in a smoothie with banana, water, agave for sweetness, and spinach = a choc smoothie for brekkie! Dont loose hope find some sweets you can build into your day and keep them for after dinner. Feel free to add me if you want to chat.
  • aishazi
    I do love healthy vegan foods which have higher fat contents such as avocado, seeds etc. but i really want to limit them as I think its healthier to have a generally low fat diet with small amounts of fat here and there :) but fat is definitely a food group I struggle with! I love the mouth feel of fatty foods I think and that is why I end up binging of them :(. I really do struggle with the binging! I've tried to work out why. It tends to be just before I go to bed so maybe its by body saying it hasn't had enough calories for the day? But its the same even when i'm not restricting my calories :/ Also I do find I comfort eat which I think I can control more when am trying to lose weight then the night time binges!

I have looked into raw eating! My ultimate diet would be a raw fruit based one :) however with uni and moving around a lot I don't think now is the right time as i'm not prepared to concentrate fully on that sort of lifestyle (still wanna be able to go out and drink with my friends now and again!) but definitely it is something I hope to incorporate more in the future.
  • sixibabey
    sixibabey Posts: 80 Member
    U should eat lean meats like fish turkey beef
  • aishazi
    I'm a vegan so thats not really an option hah
  • xaMErica
    xaMErica Posts: 284 Member
    I don't really like the vegan way of eating.. BUT I also have lost weight by changing the way I eat.. it does take time! =) I've heard from plenty of people that started paleo, 'clean eating', and vegans and vegetarians.. they all say that after awhile of sticking it out that they don't even crave the junk any more! =) I've been slowly cutting out on the pastas and breads that I eat.. it really is true that you stop wanting that stuff after awhile.

I couldn't do vegan... I really, really like chicken :happy:
    Good Luck!! You can add me if you want. I have friends with very different eating habits than me.
  • I only have a little weight to lose, but I am vegan, so feel free to add me as a friend.

My husband who is also vegan struggled with his weight. It's the refined carbs (like pasta and white rice), vegan sweets, and alcohol that make him gain weight. Last summer he lost 30 pounds by cutting way back on these things. He mostly ate sauteed veggies, beans, and vegan proteins like seitan and tofu. For instance, instead of making pasta with tomato sauce, he would make sauteed veggies and Tofurkey sausage with tomato sauce. He just sauteed things in water rather than oil. He has a real sweet tooth, but he limited himself to one frozen fruit pop per night most of the time. He started exercising more too.

Nut butters, nuts, avocados, seeds, etc. are fatty but very healthy. I wouldn't cut them out completely, although you should keep track of the calories and not go overboard. It would be better to change what you eat them with. Instead of putting your peanut butter on white bread, get sprouted whole grain bread (like Ezekiel bread). Instead of dipping white pita in your hummus, dip cucumber spears and baby carrots or a single whole wheat pita.

It is sometimes helpful to look at the food diaries of other people and see what they are eating. Most people on here have their diaries set to be viewable by friends. There are also a few vegan and vegetarian groups you can join where you might get more help and support (go to the Groups tab and search for "vegan").
  • EmiBun
    EmiBun Posts: 84 Member
    actually its better to have the 50/20/30 ration.
    50% carbs
    20% protein
    30% fat
    I'm vegan as well and this is what works for me,
    I'm actually eat a weight gain calorie regime, and on this I still lose weight.
    The fat and the protein are what we need.
    Alot of vegan fats are healthy :)
  • Mystic_Potato
    Mystic_Potato Posts: 57 Member
    Hi there.
    I am also fairly new to being vegan. In November my doctor suggested for healthy reasons I was not tolerating any animal products and I feel so much healthier! The pain disorder I had is in complete remission. The more I learn the more the environmental and ethical issues strengthen my convictions. I have learned so much and am now working with a Master Trainer (personal trainer/nutritionist/physical therapist). I have been trying to get more raw foods (and don't think I can go totally raw since I love pasta and beans and lentils and rice). Being vegan there are still plenty of high fat junk food options - like Oreos and Fritos... you can be a very unhealthy vegan!
    Since getting my fat/carb/protein ratio better in line I have stopped craving things. I am doing 20/60/20 although fats can be a little higher if I am under on calories, which meeting calories is my biggest challenge some days!

Feel free to friend me. I keep my journal open and work very hard every day to come up with new recipes and food combinations, and since I have 2 toddlers I have to keep my food tasty and fun.
  • snowmoon13
    snowmoon13 Posts: 165 Member
    I am vegan am down 50 lbs with 50 or so to go... it can be struggle but is doable... my diary is open if you want a peak ... also feel free to friend me love talking food with another vegan ... there is a cook book call the student vegetarian it very is budget friendly simple and most of the recipes are single serving sizes... for me that is a help make eat and enjoy it ... left overs call my name... :)

Binge eating is very hard to overcome and it would be a lie to say mine is under control but it has gotten more manageable with time...
  • Be Patient
  • laurelobrien
    laurelobrien Posts: 156 Member
    Why do you limit fat? It's essential for a lot of bodily functions and feeling full. Vegan fat sources are especially good for you.
  • kittylover27
    kittylover27 Posts: 9 Member
    I'm in the same boat. I've been vegan for a year vegetarian for 4 and always struggled with being over weight. I'm now trying to figure out how to eat properly and stop the cravings for the naughty foods. Adding you. :)