Finding a balance

Options
So once again I've started MFP and every two or three days or so I decide that I'm strong enough to go out with my friends for dinner. I planned out my dinner at home but somehow got convinced into going out with the girls for dinner. I was great about passing up on drinks but when dessert rolled around I couldn't control myself. My friends are all thin and can eat whatever they want but when I even make the slightest attempt to restrain myself, I catch worried looks from across the table as if I have an eating disorder. Not wanting another guilt trip, I let my gurad down and devoured WAY too much dessert (past the full feeling:frown:). I dont know how to enjoy our times together while still losing weight! Any suggestions?

Replies

• marymooster
    marymooster Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    :drinker: :flowerforyou: :drinker: :flowerforyou: :drinker: One thing I have learned on this is dont restrict yourself... When you do.... you feel neglected... out of sync with others... and apart.... so....What i do... is I have either Perrier water with lemon or a glass of chardonnay.....at drinks... that way I don't feel left out..... If I have an appetizer....something not deep fried.... and light even maybe a light salad.... I do a meat and veggie mains... or vegetarian option......I eat sloooooow..... I used to be the worst for eating fast... as a nurse you somehow learn to inhale your food. Several times when i got to dessert i actually turned it down because I was so fulll...... But if you still want dessert; An ice cream cheese cake....Drizzle a little chocolate if you like..... I would avoid cakes and the like.... unless a sponge and wah la... you have had a full dinner out with the girls had dessert had fun... and stayed healthy....
    And of course count your cals... manage your cals to included what you are going to eat. If you can look at the menu online and pick what you are going to eat... You then have a plan when you walk in... a valuable tool. If you can be sure to exercise the day you are going to go.... another tool to use....
    Hope this helps
    but above alll rethink language....the word restriction only serves to make us feel different and apart..... we are not we are still human with all the same needs and desires as we have had... our choice is just that.... CHOOSE . Choose to eat better Choose to live a healthier lifestyle... Choose to be the fabulous person you are.....
    Remember..... Everything you do is a choice.... Doing nothing is a choice..... Once you choose... every action much support that choice....
    Best wishes...
  • marymooster
    marymooster Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    ohh and one bit I forgot..to talk about... The worried looks.... Okay whose body and whose life is this??? Your's or theirs.? You choose what is right for you... If your friends aren't on board with that you may need to evaluate your friendships.....
    You can be you and let them be them.... If they can't guess what.....THEY HAVE THE PROBLEM...

You are making valuable choices about your health and life...... follow through regardles of what anyone thinks.... Reinforce your choices and decisions with positive action.

The more comfortable you are with your choices and decisions the more comfortabel others will be...
    Hope this helps good luck :smile: :drinker:
  • mkatzb3
    mkatzb3 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    thank you so much! youre advice is very inspiring!