Running with dog and no pockets?

Options
Does anyone here go running with their dog? I ask this because I really enjoy taking my dog for runs but none of my workout shorts have pockets. I have a leash in one hand, my phone in the other (I listen to music), the poop bag (which he usually goes twice) and I have to shove my keys in my shoe or something. So what does everyone else do? I thought about buying a waist bag but that will only solve my key problem, I still have to carry 3 other things =/

Replies

• jennielou75
    jennielou75 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Noooooooooo look at waist bags. They have different pockets and mine has these loop things for energy gels which you would be able to loop poop bags round.

My sis puts her poop bags in her bra (before use!!)but that might not help!!!!
  • pammiekay68
    pammiekay68 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I would suggest a fanny pack but those are a big fashion no no....ha ha How about a light weight backpack. One that is small and wouldn't bother you as you ran. I have been there before. It seems my doggie never has many bms until we go out for a long walk and then she poops a dozen times...lol
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    I hike with my dog (she refuses to run). I take a small black nylon adjustable over the shoulder bag that zips. It holds a bottle of water and small bowl for the dog, poop bags, and has one zip pocket for keys and phone, etc. I think I bought it at Walmart. I never leave the house without it. I know with running things can bounce against your torso/chest, but when I take my dog out I have to take water and a small bowl, so I have to carry them in something.
  • rjvt006
    rjvt006 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    They make little doggie backpack that have little pockets takes some of the holding off you. Or you could sew a small pouch/pocket on the inside of your running shorts (some actually come with them) and just take your house key
  • mussmom
    mussmom Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I have a little clip used for rock climbing on my keys ( I can't spell carribeener, haha) anyway, one day I decided to let my pup do the work and I clipped my keys on her collar. Also, you could get one of those dog packs that are like backpacks for the dog. I've seen service dogs wear them- why not your running partner? They have pockets in them and your pooch could carry his/ her own bags and your keys, and even a small water bottle. Good luck and happy running!
  • geckospot
    geckospot Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I walk dogs for a living (own my own pet sitting business) and MUST have pockets. For you I'd recommend a backpack for the dog and an arm-sleeve-dohicky for the phone. Alternately, yep, fanny pack! Not fashionable but sometimes function must come first.
  • pittbullgirl
    pittbullgirl Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I'd definably say a dogback and/or an armband that will hold your phone to play music while you jog.

Please remember that it may take awhile to get your dog accustomed to it and make sure you get a properly fitted backpack with padding where the straps will rub against your pup. Otherwise, they get chafed :(
    For one of my dogs dog, I put it on as snug as it would be when out for a hike then went through some basic obedience and let my son run and play with him in the backyard, occasionally giving him treats.

Worked like a charm and he has no problem wearing it now :) Then again, he is highly adaptable and if you have a more sensitive natured pup, I would recc. doing a more gradual approach .
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    They have poo bag holders that you can hook right on the leash.

I use an armband to hold my phone and it has a pocket for a key built into it.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I have a small doggie sized back pack for my doggies when we go on treks. They carry the roll of poo bags & I also have them carry the loaded properly double bagged poo in the back pack. The trick is to make sure it's properly fitting so it doesn't chafe your pup & it's properly balanced and counterbalanced.

The packs are pretty inexpensive, the larger dog carries water bottles & the smaller dogs carry everything else :drinker:

looks like this:
    http://syque.com/ds/pix/cumbria_09/favorites_slideshow/slideshow.php?directory=.&currentPic=12

NOT this:
    http://cutestuff.co/2012/04/dog-backpack/

ETA: I'm also a professional pet stiter & walk dogs for a living :drinker:
  • FarAway02
    FarAway02 Posts: 211
    Options
    I wear the lead around my neck and shoulder (to it goes under my left arm and around the right side of my neck)...I tie the bags to the lead and put a treat in one of the bags (just in case I need one!!).

I then have water in one hand and phone in the other. Key in my sports bra. Problem solved!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    how is this a subject???

buy work out shorts with pockets.

the only work out shorts/pants i've been able to find that had zippered pockets are nike dri-fit running pants. i love them and use them for everything, as they are light enough to run in during hot weather.

get one of those dog poop bag hold things that clips on to the leash.
  • danger_kitteh
    danger_kitteh Posts: 301 Member
    Options
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    If you get your dog a backpack, you can put your stuff in there. Also, get a poop bag holder and attach to the leash.

I have both of these and they cost me under $50 total

ETA: For your phone, have you thought about getting an armband?
  • Synapze
    Synapze Posts: 499
    Options
    Yup. My dog carries everything. If he wants to poop, he can carry his own ****.
  • tavenne323
    tavenne323 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I've seen dog leashes that have little zipper pockets up by the handle. I have a shirt with a small pocket in the back for my key...phone goes in my bra. Though usually I just leave my door unlocked or hide my key in a bush by my place. A friend of mine always through his car keys in the woods before mountain biking...I think I spent more time looking for his keys than actually biking.
  • julie2407
    julie2407 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Arm band for phone, wrist band for key, poop bag attached to leash.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    Does anyone here go running with their dog? I ask this because I really enjoy taking my dog for runs but none of my workout shorts have pockets. I have a leash in one hand, my phone in the other (I listen to music), the poop bag (which he usually goes twice) and I have to shove my keys in my shoe or something. So what does everyone else do? I thought about buying a waist bag but that will only solve my key problem, I still have to carry 3 other things =/

I put my key on a nappy/diaper pin and pin it to my running bottoms. I put my i-pod in an armband so I am not carrying it, that leave my hands free.

Whenever I buy running bottoms, they must have zipped pockets or I will not buy them.
  • SimplySabR
    SimplySabR Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I use a multifunction leash:

6616_BKL.jpg

So I don't have to hold a leash. My phone stays in an armband, and I clip my keys to my waist belt, my leash or tuck in my bra.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Waist band pack for phone, poo bag, jelly energy bar, keys. Unless I wear my sweat wrist band which has a key pocket. Clip on shuffle for music. But I'm loving the ideas of getting the dog to carry its own bags!
  • xxhieixx
    xxhieixx Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Wow thanks for all the replies everyone! As for me buying shorts with pockets...I already went shopping for summer earlier this year and I have tons of running shorts that I bought. Now, I went shopping at cheap stores (thrift store, walmart) and I could not find any shorts with pockets. I'm not about to go spend even more money just to get some pockets when I have plenty of shorts already so I wanted some other ideas.
    I'm going to look into the dog pack and maybe even the fanny pack. I actually just came back from running and my dog definitely needs to have a little break in the middle with some water. I already have a collapsible bowl but I can't add those two things without pockets as well lol. Going to buy something to hold all this stuff next time I run with him. Thanks for all the great ideas!