Looking for recipe for healthy stuffed mushrooms

Options
tattoogal77
tattoogal77 Posts: 72 Member
We are having a cookout for the 4th and would like to take something different but healthy.

Replies

• nurse_shell74
    nurse_shell74 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Chop the stems finely, add a couple cloves of pressed garlic, salt, pepper, italian flavored breadcrumbs (I love Progresso) and saute with just a little oil, margerine or whatever u want). If it gets a little mushy don't worry it will still taste yummy. After sauteeing, stuff this concoction into the mushroom cap. Put it in the oven for about 20 min at 375 or until mushrooms are cooked. Sorry I don't have exact measurements, I usually just wing it. I have no idea how many calories are in these but you can scale back the breadcrumbs and oil to meet your needs. Also , you might want to chop up a few whole mushrooms to add to the stems so you have enough stuffing since that is the best part.
  • nurse_shell74
    nurse_shell74 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    One last tip, make sure your mushrooms are dry. If they've been in the fridge you might want to let them sit out for a while otherwise your mushrooms will be swimming in their own juice by the time you're done cooking them .
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    Bump hoping for more recipes :)
  • mhoeff1
    mhoeff1 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    recipe sounds great! I woud use portabellas they tend to hold their shape better and seem to be more filling
  • otrlynn
    otrlynn Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    You can add some drained canned crabmeat to the above recipe. If you need something to bind the filling, add a little low fat mayo. I'd probably sprinkle a little freshly grated Parmesan on top during the last five minutes of baking.
  • bluntlysally
    bluntlysally Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Chop the stems finely, add a couple cloves of pressed garlic, salt, pepper, italian flavored breadcrumbs (I love Progresso) and saute with just a little oil, margerine or whatever u want). If it gets a little mushy don't worry it will still taste yummy. After sauteeing, stuff this concoction into the mushroom cap. Put it in the oven for about 20 min at 375 or until mushrooms are cooked. Sorry I don't have exact measurements, I usually just wing it. I have no idea how many calories are in these but you can scale back the breadcrumbs and oil to meet your needs. Also , you might want to chop up a few whole mushrooms to add to the stems so you have enough stuffing since that is the best part.

this, but instead of adding whole mushrooms to make the mix go farther, add some frozen spinach (defrost and ring out the water). for breadcrumbs, try a whole wheat option but still flavored. if you want, use part breadcrumbs and part grated cheese. use olive oil (healthy) and a little bit of butter (not margarine) to saute the mushrooms.

you can prep the day before too - will save a lot of time day of.
  • toxicat
    toxicat Posts: 79
    Options
    Try this:

Makes 24 pieces / Hands-On Time: 20 minutes / Total Time: 40 minutes

Ingredients:

24 ounces (about 24 medium-sized) cremini mushrooms
    2 tablespoons melted Ghee or fat of choice
    8 ounces fresh or frozen shrimp
    ¼ cup scallions (about 2 scallions), roughly chopped
    ¼ cup packed cilantro
    2 bacon slices, diced (about ⅓ cup)
    1 tablespoon jalapeño pepper, diced small
    1 teaspoon Paleo-friendly fish sauce
    Kosher salt
    Freshly-ground black pepper

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/37988064841/paleo-shrimp-stuffed-mushrooms
  • tattoogal77
    tattoogal77 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the recipes!!! They all sound delish. I hope the family likes them since it will be something different from the usually holiday fair food.
  • Slaynar
    Slaynar Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I was on a No Carb High Protein diet a few years ago, this is one of the dishes I served at a Thanksgiving dinner. My niece loves them and now I can not come to a party without them.
    Hope this helps!

Crab Stuffed Mushrooms

Ingredients:
    1LB fresh mushrooms
    7-8 oz. crab meat
    4 green onions, thinly sliced
    ¼ teaspoon thyme
    ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
    ¼ teaspoon ground savory
    Ground black pepper to taste
    ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
    1/3 cup fat free mayonnaise
    3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
    ¼ teaspoon paprika
    Directions
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees, In a medium bowl, combine crab meat, green onions, herbs, and pepper. Mix in mayonnaise and ¼ cup Parmesan cheese until well combined. Refrigerate filling until ready for use. Wipe the mushrooms clean with a damp towel. Remove stems, and spoon out the “gills” and the base of the stem, making deep cups. Discard gills and stems. Fill the mushroom caps with rounded teaspoonful of the filling, and place them in an un-greased shallow baking dish. Sprinkle tops with Parmesan cheese and paprika. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and serve immediately.