when to eat if exercising first thing in the morning?

Options
I have embarked on a new fitness regime and am going to the gym first thing in the morning and then onto work.
I leave home at 7am do a 30 minute workout then shower and get back into the car and drive 40 minutes to work.
What should I do about eating? My morning break at work is around 10.30/11am and then I take lunch at 1pm.
I am confused as to when and what to eat in the morning and would appreciate sensible suggestions.

Replies

• chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes after working out are always an excellent idea. Would you be comfortable drinking one while on the commute? I know some people don't like to eat/drink while driving, but if you have a straw, shouldn't be too much of a distraction, I think.
  • SavvyShannondeBarros
    Options
    Before a workout eat breakfast such as oats with any fruit (Banana is the best) that will give you energy for the workout. Afterwards have food that contains carbs + Protein such as chocolate milk or a protein shake or even smoothies! :)
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I have a big tablespoon of f.f. cottage cheese before gym in the am.........then on break you could eat something like a hb egg or half a pb sandwich then a normal lunch........oh, and drink water too.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Eat when you feel best. Some people can't eat breakfast, some need food to run. Meal timing is insignificant. Further reading:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/529002-a-compliation-on-meal-frequency?hl=compliation+
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,119 Member
    Options
    Don't make this complicated and make up a bunch of Rules to Follow for yourself.

Eat when you can, try to stay as close as possible to your calorie Goal.

Try to get in all your protein every day - no matter what. It is the most important of the macros. Next would be getting enough fats. Then fill the rest with your carbs.

Other than that, eat what you like. Get some vegetables. Enjoy your life. Keep it Simple.

• sevenbabies
    sevenbabies Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I run first thing in the morning. Boiled eggs or pbj sandwich with fruit work for me. Sometimes i take a chicken breast if i have one cooked. I can't stomach protein shakes but some people love them.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    I do a vitamin shake with fruit and kale then go workout. I have a handfull of raw organic nuts when i am done to tide me over till lunch.

Normally about 300-400 cals all told.
  • Dan4495
    Dan4495 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to burn fat, so I do my morning workout before breakfast so my body has to burn fat for energy. I have a protein shake and nutrition bar after my workout before going to work. I'm no expert, but that's what I do.
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Suggest things you can eat easily while driving so you don't take your eyes off the road: hard boiled eggs, yogurt shake, fruit slices, ryvita crackers, cheese.

I have a hard time working out on a full stomach, so I prefer eating later. You might have something more substantial, like oatmeal, on your break later in the morning.
  • sunlover89
    sunlover89 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I have a low carb protein shake as soon as I wake up. The night before I make a paleo pancake (half a banana, 1 egg, 20g ground almond) and eat that after the gym (edit, crossfit!) with lots of water and a handful of berries. Does the job!
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I eat an hour after my workout.
  • ProjectJepo
    Options
    Scrambled eggs and toast :P
  • Munstermaid
    Munstermaid Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    thanks for suggestion of protein shake - am happy to drink whilst commuting - generally I stop & grab a coffee so expect P/S would be way better.
    Not too sure about eating before I work out - am in gym by 730am & wouldn't want to be eating at 630am so will try the shake & hope that stops the 11am sugar rush for scones etc.